The Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Snow

Well the snow is falling pretty hard. I work in a school in the UK. At lunch time they closed the school so i got to go home early

This is a photo from this morning

Is the snow affecting anyone else?

Yeah me in the South of Norway.... Things are as per normal but my tolerance to the cold has dropped by a lot...

Interesting to note that FRA was closed for a period of time about 2 days ago due to 2.5cm (!!!) of snow ... In Norway, if any airport closes due to that little amount of snow, people would be ripping the check-in agent's head off!!
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I miss the cold. The Government is now setting up a report into why the transport infrastructure grinds to halt every time it snows. Probably will amount to nothing and cost millions as per usual but would be good to get an idea, its not as like the UK hasn't had snow before!

Comment

These are last year's picture and hoping it would be like this again this winter

Happy December Everyone.

Comment

The weather was certainly wrecking travel schedules across Germany yesterday, likely today as well. My MAD-MUC flight was cancelled, and people who were already airside in the JK lounge were asked to troop back airside to see how LH would rebook them.

Now wanting to overnight in DUS or (shudder) FRA and take a chance on early morning flights to TXL, I had our travel department rebook me one of the last seats to the direct IB flight to TXL. It was one of the times where FF status in more than one alliance proved useful. To deal witht the stress, I had to have some Mövenpick white chocolate ice cream in the IB lounge.

Arrived near midnight to see a looong line of passengers at the taxi stand, putting up with temperatures around -10 degrees before windchill -- and there most definitely was an insistent wind blowing. (The scene reminded me of those documentaries about penguins who shuffle around during the Antarctic winter, backs to the wind.) A few went back into the terminal to fish out some more warm clothing as they realized we had a long wait ahead of us. As taxis came in clumps to ferry passengers to the city (my arranged car service wussed out and cancelled, claiming he couldn't get out of the city to the airport), queueing etiquette evaporated, and people jumped into the cabs that were stopped while waiting for the cabs in front to load their passengers' luggage into the trunk. Tempers were beginning to flare when I got into my cab.

What an otherworldly experience for an ex-Londoner. And, even less than a shut-eye ago, already quite bemusing (now that I'm sitting in the warm indoors watching even regional trains crawl instead of whoosh between two Berlin stations).
          Last edited by jjpb3; 2 December 2010, 04:48 PM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

It sounds like a tiring experience, jjpb3 and I'm glad you now seem to be okay. And also that it's not just the UK which can't seem to cope with a few snow falls!

With LGW only just reopened, I arrived at London Bridge at midnight yesterday to find all trains to LGW had been cancelled. The trains from Victoria had been cancelled earlier in the evening. With no choice, I ended up cabbing it there and apart from a few hairy moments (dodging icebergs on the M25), made it to my hotel in one piece for my flight early in the morning.

I'm now in the City of Water (or slowly sinking into the water) where it's cold and wet and also flooding due to the current high tides ... but no snow!

Comment

Oh dear. I thought last year's snow was freak weather. This now sounds like a medium-long term trend.

Starting to re-think my plans for Europe over Christmas 2011... I love the cold, but I don't think I want to deal with travel disruption and -10 degree weather!
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really. Got into LHR yesterday evening and I've never seen the M25 (and traffic into Central London today) so clear and smooth flowing, ever!

Comment

It's been snowing here for several weeks now. A week ago, the temperature was down to -20C and it's predicted to drop to a staggering -30C in a week or so when the low pressure weather system moves eastward and the cold continental polar air from the north sweeps in.

I was unable to fly for over a week due to low ceilings (cloud cover/layer), icing conditions, strong winds, and precipitation.

A view from my dormitory.

I'm glad the weather cleared up today and I was able to resume flying. Even though the skies may be clear and the sun is shining brightly, the cold temperatures barely changed. It's so cold, most of the snow hardens!
                  Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Working...
                  X