SIN T3: Terminal 3 user experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN T3: Terminal 3 user experiences

I thought I'd start a thread on how people are finding Singapore Changi's latest world-class terminal.

And, at the same time, I thought I'd share those experiences of my own.

Was in T3 after arriving on SQ220 on 12JAN (the first 9V-SKA flight after the wheel-in-the-grass incident), and did a short tour of the terminal after commercial operations began. Previously, I did the "open house" walk of the place a few weeks back, so I had a pretty good idea as to where things were

Anyway, there wasn't much happening around 2pm - the place was considered quiet when compared to the typical activity found over at T2. Granted that not all flights are operating out of T3 as yet, but it was still rather "lifeless".

Everything was still very new (obviously). So new, that even the aerobridge corridors weren't properly cleaned out (there was still traces of paintwork and dirt showing on some of the glass doors) - very poor considering that the terminal has been "opened" for quite some time already.

And getting back to "quiet", my friend and I eventually went down to immigration after having done our short tour of the terminal. On reaching downstairs, we realised that we were the only two passengers in the vicinity - and the ratio of officers attending to us was like 3-to-1

Finally, getting outside, I think there were far more people on the other side than inside!

All up, T3 is pretty under-capacity during the quieter times of the day!

Boarding area checks - slow and inefficient

After staying overnight in SIN, my friend and I were off to SFO on SQ16. The flight was at 0915, so we had to get to the early somewhat early in the day.

Arrived into T3 at around 0745, and it was pretty busy - as there were quite a number of flights going out during the day. Anyway, after checking in, which took only around 5-10 mins at the J counters (row 5, I believe), we proceeded to immigration.

Upon getting out, we tried to locate the SKL, and realised that it was quite a walk to "area A". That was actually okay, compared to the following walk from the SKL to the B1-B4 boarding gates, which could be described as gruelling if you had to carry AND drag a bag at the same time!

Anyway, when we got to the boarding area where they did the X-ray checks of bags, I was shocked to find somewhat-long queues to get to the boarding gate. Even the "premium passengers" line was as long, and this was probably because no one could see the damn sign and that no one was really checking who was and who wasn't!

From memory, I believe there were 6 scanners and x-ray machines in the boarding area, shared amongst the four gates that it was serving. But only four of these were operational, with an x-ray and a scanner operator only on each set.

Now, over at T2, I remember that each boarding gate getting two sets of each - but more people working (there were at least two people checking those who "beeped" after the walk-thru). When you do the math, it figures as to why the pace of things weren't going as quickly...

And the fact that everyone walking through the scanning machine was checked, this made things even more frustrating for people waiting to get on their flight.

Bottom line is, they should have more people working these shared boarding areas - especially when a shared boarding area is used, servicing up to 3 active gates at a time.

T3 is a great, new terminal - but the logistics of it is questionable, to say the least. As for those service-based issues, I'm hopeful that these will be done away over time when they get a better feel of things...

Comment

Originally posted by kras View Post
      Anyway, when we got to the boarding area where they did the X-ray checks of bags, I was shocked to find somewhat-long queues to get to the boarding gate. Even the "premium passengers" line was as long, and this was probably because no one could see the damn sign and that no one was really checking who was and who wasn't!
      I left from gate complex A15-A21?(the furthest west-end of T3)at 1am on 13/Jan and the same area had another flight to PEK. My experience was like that of yours. There were only 2 lines, premium and non-premium and like you I didn't even see the sign until I got to the front of the line

Comment

i hate the T1/2 designs when u queue forever for security, and then they take ** Bp away so u cant go anywhere.

i prefer split-level arrival/departures =0
        zxcvbn

Comment

Will you folks walk straight to the head of the q for premium passengers at security?

I know during boarding I will do that....
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

immigration

quick question, say if im flying a T1 airline, maybe CX.
            am i allowed to go to T1 check-in, then take skytrain to T3 landside, clear immigration, do bit of shopping and go back to T1 in the restricted zone?

thanks.
            zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
              am i allowed to go to T1 check-in, then take skytrain to T3 landside, clear immigration, do bit of shopping and go back to T1 in the restricted zone?

thanks.
              Why don't you just clear immigration at T1 then make your way to T3 ?.

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post

thanks.
                I don't think there will be a problem with that. Flew on LX last Dec, and I entered the transit area and cleared immigration at T2 after visiting the T3 open house.

One thing though, the Airport police guarding the entry point to the immigration and transit area took to scrutinise your boarding pass, and she even remarked that the boarding pass looks so unfamiliar.

Does anyone knows y before using the Automated Clearance System, another immigration officer will check thru your boarding pass again? Any one else experienced before?

Comment

Got to visit the airside of T3 earlier today. IMHO it is an excellent, very user friendly terminal. Good selection of F&B outlets, nice sitting/lounging areas near the shops.
                  They have been playing Kevin Kern's The Winding Path album, of which "The Touch of Love" is my favorite CX boarding music!

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                    Does anyone knows y before using the Automated Clearance System, another immigration officer will check thru your boarding pass again? Any one else experienced before?
                    That seems to be the standard practice which is why I seldom use the automated clearance system when departing from singapore.

I recall asking the officer before and it was due to the fact that the first officer checks the BP against your passport. Whereas the second officer checks the the access card against BP & passport ( This explaination was given when there were only access cards for the automated system).

Comment

with the introduction of dual terminal use by SQ - doesnt it seems that SQ operating out of T2 to its destinations are considered "poor cousins" or 2nd best to those cities that SQ departs from T3 - and also the SKL lounge and facilities at T2 are also now dated and less equipped as T3 for those who fly F or J.

Comment

I think they should just remove SKL in T2 and convert it into a *A Lounge, then shift NH,TG,OZ to T2 from the overcrowded T1.
                        We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          with the introduction of dual terminal use by SQ - doesnt it seems that SQ operating out of T2 to its destinations are considered "poor cousins" or 2nd best to those cities that SQ departs from T3 - and also the SKL lounge and facilities at T2 are also now dated and less equipped as T3 for those who fly F or J.
                          i wouldn't say this at all.

Comment

Some Pictures of T3

Dear Moderator:
                            Since I am confused where to share these pictures appropriately, I should just post here first, and let you guys and gals decide where to move accordingly.

Comment

Your pictures are a good visual clue to the user experience, SQ LPP, so I've moved your post from the 'T3 Opening' thread to the one about 'T3 User Experiences'.

jjpb3
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                              X