Damaged luggage travelling with SQ - poor compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    It's now the 9th of May, we're still waiting... don't bother about the chairs, there's plenty in Ion. So where's the footage from your Gopro? And where's your lesson in engineering coming? We're all still waiting.

After all your chest thumping, you'd better make this a blockbuster.
    Lol, I think you enjoy your own chest beating as much as I do. You are still yet to name your glorious luggage which is guaranteed for life.

As for the engineering lesson I've already explained fatigue, happy to explain to you again if you need.

I am not one to provide updates without fact, and I only received a resolution to my satisfaction today, hence my lack of response to this thread. I'm amazed that all you experienced SQ fanboys would think that anything can be solved over night. SQ are amazingly prompt at following up fax claims, and emails, and phone calls to the numbers they provide, hence my prompt turnaround. When I first faxed it in, I rang up and I was told it would take two weeks to process it, then a few days later I got a letter, then when I rang up the number on the letter I played phone tag and email tag for a few days.

Anyway, I made my claim, SQ came back to me with SGD213. I rang up the number they provided and I said I was originally offered 290, then they said no, I was offered 240. Funny because when I asked for written confirmation of the 290 they said that is not their policy to provide it in writing, now I know why. I then asked why did they offer me less than the original offer of 240 (290), they didn't answer that, quite strange and cheeky. I then asked them if they cannot answer that question, then can they at least honour the 290 or 240 or whatever they originally offered. They said yes, again weird they would offer me 213 but then back down so easily. I then asked the lady if she knew how I could buy a hard case for 213 (to the same quality of samsonite), she said not likely, after more questioning she offered a replacement case. Their first bag offer was something less than 213 (which I rejected), and their final offer today, came in around 300SGD (based on their info and my own), and technically looks ok. Both times when I asked for current info on each bag their email response was "google it", even though I told them I had googled it and gave them the link lol. It took some regular correspondence but I got there.
    Last edited by ozdude; 27 May 2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
      I will attempt to claim something that is fair and reasonable, not a discounted figure on the original cost. They mis-handled the bag and destroyed a hard case, it's not wear and tear.

I would expect a sum to equal the equivalent that is currently in the market place, or the price of the original case that I paid.

I don't see why I should be penalised for something that is not my fault, especially when I paid extra for a case which built to last. The fact that it is damaged due to impact shows how poorly their staff handled my bag.
      So what happen to this?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        So what happen to this?
        Obviously I did not get the dollar figure I hoped for in cash. However a 300 dollar bag replacement is at least equivalent to ~400 in cash, given I don't have to spend my own time trying to find a new bag, and they will also deliver it.

If you assume at least 4 hours of time required to go to a shopping centre and then look around, I think the option I chose is reasonable given the end result is having a suitable bag.

Comment

Obviously I did not get the dollar figure I hoped for in cash. However a 300 dollar bag replacement is at least equivalent to ~400 in cash, given I don't have to spend my own time trying to find a new bag, and they will also deliver it.

If you assume at least 4 hours of time required to go to a shopping centre and then look around, I think the option I chose is reasonable given the end result is having a suitable bag.
          Obviously post #27 & #29 sums it up.....

Comment

And how many hours did you spend to get a bag that you cannot select yourself?

Am I reading correctly that you spend hours to fight for a 60 SGD differential and still ended up not wanting any cash in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              And how many hours did you spend to get a bag that you cannot select yourself?
              I actually did select the bag, they gave me options and I evaluated. I estimate total hours spent with SQ was 2 hours via email and phone, but this was spread over a few weeks due to correspondence delays etc, hardly uncommon. How long do you think it takes to send emails and make calls? I wasn't travelling in that time period so there was no rush.

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              Am I reading correctly that you spend hours to fight for a 60 SGD differential and still ended up not wanting any cash in the end?
              I don't think you are reading correctly, it's not a matter of not wanting cash, it's that their cash offer was far less than the value of taking the replacement bag option. What did you guys think I wanted to do with the cash? Of course the end goal was to get a bag of similar quality to the one that was damaged. I only have one piece of luggage for travelling.

Yes I spent time in negotiating with them (2hrs max), however if I ended up taking the cash then the overall value of the compensation would have been less than what I ended up accepting. Ultimately I wanted a replacement bag and of a certain value.

Different people have different opinions of value, while 60 dollars may not seem much to you (or others), it is to me, and as I don't travel much then the loss of a bag due to others, may have a bigger impact on me than yourself (or others in this post).

Comment

Working...
              X