Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Semi-Pictorial TR) Ending an Absence from SQ and Spending a Long(ish) Weekend in SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Me? I'm drain bamaged so can't really help them out either
    Oh! Most definitely! I used to have problems with my 'b's and 'd's too!

Comment

Great trip report and great writing

Comment

Fast Forward 2: Heading Back to London – at SIN T3

Final instalments of the TR: sorry it took a while for the muses to inspire me to put thoughts to paper.

On the morning of my SQ318 flight, I could’ve gone out to T3 early so that I could explore it and what it offers fully. But instead I decided that a leisurely breakfast with my brother was more what my soul needed – and I was right. I left the Conrad refreshed and (ever so slightly) ready to face the prospect of heading back to London.

Checkin was quick, although it did take me time to figure out which of the counters were supposed to be where non-PPS *G were supposed to use. IIRC, one of the Business Class counters had a *G annotation to it, the others didn’t. And the ones that didn’t had the free agents. Finally I decided to risk being turned away and trudged off to a counter which did not call out to *G. The agent didn’t bat an eyelash; greeted me; and printed my boarding pass. (Side comment: I was so proud to say that I didn’t have any luggage to check in: I think that was the first time in all my visits to SIN and its shopping attractions – even in previous times when I had come into SIN with no checked luggage, I left with something to check in. )

I marched into the expanse that is T3, and again, I’ll have to disagree with my esteemed buddy Lobster on the carpeting. I rather like it. Maybe because it’s so distinctively non-depressing – all other airports that use carpeting (notably my home airport) choose the most lugubrious colors. Most other cheery airports (e.g., CPH, HKG, ZRH, LHR T5) seem to prefer not to have to think about carpeting.

As I just had a very satisfying breakfast, I couldn’t try out UMD’s recommendation about Toast Box. Oh well. There’s always the next time. I did do a round of the shops, but honestly, I didn’t find the shopping that remarkable. That’s troubling; I love to window-shop. Maybe it’s because I’m trying to curb my impulse shopping, but I found the selection at T3 kind of unexciting. Nothing in the selection of men’s accessories or men’s clothing/shoes appealed to my wallet. I should just be thankful my bank account wasn’t drained.

Satisfied that the retail experience had no potential to move me (at least on that day), I searched for the infamous KrisFlyer Gold Lounge. I have to say, I didn’t find locating it all that easy. I knew I had to go upstairs, but if it weren’t for the fact that I had read SQ LPP’s description of the terminal’s layout, I would have been confused which escalators to use.

Finally I found it and came upon the nicely set out welcome desk. I walked in, expectantly, and …

Let’s just say I can honestly say SQ knows how to focus on the elements of its offering that it has decided are vital for its competitive differentiation. A nice lounge with a bit of oomph for its EGs and partner *Gs is clearly not the priority at its home airport.

The lounge has two areas. The better area is the one that is past the immediate entry (which connects to the F&B area), and has outside views, besides taking advantage of the high ceilings of the terminal:

If you look over that wooden railing, you can see a goldfish pond down below. The computer terminals you can use – in case you didn’t bring a laptop or can’t be fussed to fire it up – are located at one end of this area.

But note how the seats seem so close to each other. That’s not an effect of the paucity of my photography skills. The seats really are that close to one another. I was there at a very non-busy period of the day, and I could imagine what this area would feel like if it were crowded with passengers waiting for the bank of early morning or late night SQ flights.

The second area of the lounge is one where the TV is. The feeling that struck me most about this side was the low ceiling and dimmer lighting. I guess you would appreciate it if you’ve had a rough day, and you wanted a bit of muted lighting to soothe your nerves. I didn’t find the atmosphere that inviting. Here was my view from the lighter side:

I preferred to dart in; grab my water (oh, OK, also my glass of white wine); and then sip both from the better side.

I also searched for the infamous toilet that SQ couldn’t be bothered to place within the lounge. I had been outraged by the decision, but actually, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I had imagined the setup would be like MNL , where Joe Public would pass by the toilet on the way to the departure gate. Not quite. The toilet is on the floor of the lounges, meaning the public would have to use the escalators and then circle around the lounges to use it. It also really wasn’t that far of a walk. I think it’s more of a schlep from the SQ LPP corner of SKL T2 to the T2 men’s toilets, than from the Light Side of the KF Gold Lounge to the ‘public area’ toilet.

My final verdict: I guess I really shouldn’t have expected so much, but I was still disappointed. I thought SQ would step beyond its past and provide, at its showcase new terminal, a very good lounge to lowly non-PPS *Gs. In my view, this wasn't the case. Next time I’m in T3, I’ll see what the Priority Pass lounge is like. It should make for an interesting comparison.

The relatively minor advantage of the KF Gold Lounge to the public areas of SIN T3 made me think about which airports had lounges whose quality induced you to head to the public areas instead. Based on my travels, I could only think of BUD and LYS.

(I know, same slope but different intercept, but you understand my point, right? )
        Last edited by jjpb3; 30 June 2008, 05:54 PM.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Fast Forward 3: The Flight Home

Soon it was time to head off to the flight. Having heard of the horrors of the security system at T3, I headed out from the KF Gold Lounge 40 minutes before departure. I got to the security point to confront lines that were pretty short. Hmmm… Maybe SQ318 is definitely the right flight to choose.

Security would have been relatively quick, had the businessman in front of me not wanted to whinge about turning his computer on. The security line personnel made the mistake of asserting that this was SOP at all airports in the world, because that’s the cue that Grumpy Businessman jumped at, to lecture the staff members that that was certainly not the case.

Boarding had begun by the time I got to the departure gate. I was still one of the first in the Y cabin, as I was able to use my *G status to board using the premium lane. Unlike my LHR-SIN flight, this one was the near flawless Y experience I’ve come to associate with SQ.

KrisWorld didn’t act up, so there was no interruption to my surfing the channels. The crew were uniformly efficient and warm, unlike on my outbound flight, when I encountered a surly FS. (At one point, they had to re-boot KrisWorld. I hadn’t heard the warning, so I was surprised when my screen turned blank. I asked the FS, who happened to be passing by, what was going on.

“We had to re-boot, sir.”
          “Oh, okay, I didn’t hear an announcement so I got caught by surprise.”
          “There was an announcement, you just weren’t listening.” [these were exact words]

“Oh? When was the announcement made?”
          “Just a few minutes ago, probably around … oh [sound of lightbulb coming on?] … probably when you were talking to us about buying from KrisShop.”

I guess he preferred that I shushed him when the announcement came on.)

As always, my special meal – this time I chose the Oriental option – gave me a leg up on finishing my meal and freshening up. Finally, on this relatively full flight, I got a vacant seat next to me. Such a nice treat in economy.

With no luggage to claim once I cleared immigration, I was headed home, re-charged after a quick weekend eight time zones away. I readied myself for the “How was Singapore this weekend?” questions from my astounded (and I think slightly envious) colleagues.

THE END

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 30 June 2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            (I know, same slope but different intercept, but you understand my point, right? )
            Thats the first time I've heard that phrase

Comment

Thanks for the update. The non-pictorial report now has some pictures, perhaps a rename to semi-pictoria TR?

Comment

As you wish, Sir Kiwi.

Comment

...I chose the Oriental option...
                  What's THAT??? You mean, ASIAN, don't you?

Sorry...after many lectures from the University of Michigan Political Correctness Meeting attendees, I felt the need to pass on their gospel.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post

Sorry...after many lectures from the University of Michigan Political Correctness Meeting attendees, I felt the need to pass on their gospel.
                    On the same wavelength, I was informed at work the other week that "Brainstorms" now have to be referred to as "Thought Showers" to avoid offending people who suffer from epilepsy,...it's a minefield sometimes

Comment

I cringe myself when I see it, but hey, that's what SQ calls it.

Comment

Nice TR Sir !!. Getting back on SQ after an abscence is a great feeling.

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                        On the same wavelength, I was informed at work the other week that "Brainstorms" now have to be referred to as "Thought Showers" to avoid offending people who suffer from epilepsy,...it's a minefield sometimes
                        Oh FFS, they just get worse....

Comment

As always, it's so lovely to read your report, deary.. Hmm thanks for mentioning me. I did not know that my long time ago pictures and rambling about the T3 would be a help!

Comment

Now THAT one I haven't heard. Pretty soon, we'll not be able to talk.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

jjpb3, thanks for the update.

Would you have any pictures of the special meals? If not, could you please describe the food in words? I have never had a special meal before and I might actually consider one next time I fly on SQ.

As always, my special meal – this time I chose the Oriental option
                              Actually in the UK, we do refer to the Chinese as Oriental. Asian would refer to people from the Indian subcontinent. Took me a while to get used to that, since we always call ourselves South East Asians back home in SIngapore.

I was informed at work the other week that "Brainstorms" now have to be referred to as "Thought Showers" to avoid offending people who suffer from epilepsy,...i
                              Would love to hear the teachers telling the class that it's time now for 'thought showering'!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                                Actually in the UK, we do refer to the Chinese as Oriental. Asian would refer to people from the Indian subcontinent. Took me a while to get used to that, since we always call ourselves South East Asians back home in SIngapore.
                                The reason I was sternly given was that all other ethnicities are referred to by their country of origin or continent (South American, European, etc.). It is only Asians that were not given this fair designation. People in the UK don't refer to themselves as Occidentals, so why should they have a double standard for others.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X