SQ A330 cabins, routes, timing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarG View Post
    I don't suppose a pax uses a large fraction of his/her flight time using the lavatory inflight. But I am sure they do care how well it is designed for their comfort and convenience.
    During a long flight, I might spend as much as 10 seconds dealing with the overhead bins -- probably less -- but I might spend as much as 10 minutes in the lavs. So, I'm about 60 times more concerned about the comfort and convenience of the lavs than the overhead bins.

Getting back to the point, I'm much less interested in the aircraft type than in how it is configured. Newer more comfortable seats with AVOD and laptop power would more than compensate me for any differences in ceiling height or overhead bins. Throw in fewer middle seats in Y and no middle seats in C as well and I'm really looking forward to the change.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      The 777 vs 330 comfort debate is one that IMHO, is significantly dependent on class of travel. In a typical Y layout, i much prefer the 2-4-2 sequence you'd find in an A330 over 3-3-3, 3-4-2 or 2-5-2 or even God forbid, 3-4-3 ala OS/EK that you'd find on a 777.
      The EK flight I had last summer (DXB-ICN C) on a A330-200 was the one that changed my mindset on flying. Yes, 2-4-2 on Y onboard an A330 is naturally preferable to a 3-4-3 on Y onboard an EK 777-300. However, I would also add that flying SQ Y on a 773 or 772 can be much better value (IMHO of course) than paying three times the same amount and flying C on the uncomfortable recliners of an EK A330-200.

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
      Getting back to the point, I'm much less interested in the aircraft type than in how it is configured. Newer more comfortable seats with AVOD and laptop power would more than compensate me for any differences in ceiling height or overhead bins. Throw in fewer middle seats in Y and no middle seats in C as well and I'm really looking forward to the change.
      Fully agree.

Comment

SQ A330

Originally posted by StarG View Post
        Quite sad since the 777 is a more comfortable plane to be on than the A330. Hopefully SQ fits out the A330s with nice enough seat & interiors to offset that.
        777 is my favourite plane too. For a while, SQ flew A343 and 777 to Perth and I made sure I was on 777. Love the space. Gets to Perth faster too!

I hope the new regional seats are not going to be like the long haul fleet. Really dont like the new J seats or cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          I hope the new regional seats are not going to be like the long haul fleet.
          I think that's a safe bet. I can't see 4 abreast for regional Business class. I expect the A330s will have 6 abreast in Business class.

Really dont like the new J seats or cabin.
          Really? Wow! I love the new long-haul Business class seats. What exactly do you dislike about them?

Comment

SQ A330

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            The 777 vs 330 comfort debate is one that IMHO, is significantly dependent on class of travel. In a typical Y layout, i much prefer the 2-4-2 sequence you'd find in an A330 over 3-3-3, 3-4-2 or 2-5-2 or even God forbid, 3-4-3 ala OS/EK that you'd find on a 777.
            Agreed. For Y class 2-4-2 is the way to go. Boeing chose 3-3-3 ostensibly because 6 PAXs could sit in a row with a seat in between each passenger. The flights I've been on have been mostly full ( school holidays?) so this is not such an advantage as being able to get to the loo easily from a window seat.

EK 777 is 3-4-3 but they do have 34" seat pitch vs SQ 777 3-3-3 with 32" seat pitch. Anyone in a position to compare Y in both?

Comment

EK 777 is 3-4-3 but they do have 34" seat pitch vs SQ 777 3-3-3 with 32" seat pitch. Anyone in a position to compare Y in both?
              I have flown the EK 777-300ER on Y (3-4-3) and the SQ 777-200ER on Y (3-3-3). Absolutely no comparison. I was shocked when I boarded the EK 773 and took my Y seat. It felt very tight indeed (especially width-wise). I actually spent a lot of time during the flight walking up and down in the cabin as I just couldn't stay in my seat because it felt so narrow. SQ's seat pitch arrangement is definitely more comfortable (at least on the 772, as on the 773 I have no experience yet).
              Last edited by N_Architect; 19 March 2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

SQ A330

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                I think that's a safe bet. I can't see 4 abreast for regional Business class. I expect the A330s will have 6 abreast in Business class.

Really? Wow! I love the new long-haul Business class seats. What exactly do you dislike about them?
                This is how I fly (A345 SIN-EWR-SIN).

I'm asleep before the plane leaves the ground. I wake up after take off, push the spacebed into fully flat and sleep till they wake me up for the meal (SIN-EWR). Or skip the meal completely (EWR-SIN). In new long-haul J seat, I will have to get up to put the bed down. It's a nuisance when you are tired/ sleepy.

On the flight, I drift in and out of sleep (never get to watch entire movie cause I nod off) So the seat is going up and down the entire flight! Up to catch the movie, down when I nod off! Can't do that anymore.

The seat is too short. I am 6 feet tall. I can't stretch out straight. Feet are kinked to left or right depending on which side of the cabin you sit.

I always fall asleep before meal service is over. More specifically after dessert. In spacebed, down I go with the flip of a switch. New J seat, have to ask them to clear try in the middle of service. Have to wait to get up to flip bed down to sleep.

Friends tell me the way to go is bed mode for whole trip. Can try that when the A345 are refitted.

In sit mode, seat is too wide. In turbulence, nothing to hang on to. No armrest. Doesn't recline enough.

I think they cut down the amount of oxygen in the plane to induce this state of narcosis I have when I fly. Otherwise I would be writing some TR of my own!

Comment

I agree that it's a nuisance to have to stand up to convert to and from bed mode, but I've done it a few dozen times now and I'm used to it. Unlike you, I go to sleep only once per flight and, if they wake me, then I'm awake for the rest of the flight.

Comment

2-4-2 and 3-3-3 in Y for me, I would go for 3-3-3.

I have taken CX 333 with 2-4-2 and 32'' seat pitch, the seats were very tight IMO. But the SQ 772 and 773 with 3-3-3 is far more greater than the CX one.

I am wating anxiously to try out the 333 from SQ on SIN-HKG route (I think they would put 333 on the route to replace 772). Anyone know when?

Comment

Some of You have not been on SQ A310 for anything other than short flights within Asia.
                      I have done the ADL-SIN-ADL on one of them back in the nineties and It was rather pleasant with the 2-4-2 cabin much like the A330 has today for the same sector.
                      I did MEL-SIN-MEL on a Qantas 744 and would only use that option with a domestic sector ADL-MEL-ADL as a very last resort if I can't get on Singapore Airlines.That thing with the 3-4-3 cabin was awful

Comment

9V-STI, first A330-333 of the second tranche, enroute, ex TLS 5 February.....

Comment

What's the likely route this one gets deployed on? KIX? BKK ain't ready yet I'll wager..

Comment

Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                            9V-STI, first A330-333 of the second tranche, enroute, ex TLS 5 February.....
                            ETA 1603

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            What's the likely route this one gets deployed on? KIX? BKK ain't ready yet I'll wager..
                            KIX is due to start on 01 MAR as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                              ETA 1603

KIX is due to start on 01 MAR as planned.
                              Better be. I am booked to fly there on 23 MAR and the seat selection still showing the A330

Comment

I've travelled in B777-300ER in both SQ and EY most recently and I will make sure I wont take a 3-4-3 config seat for 777 (for any airline). The seat is just too narrow (im a normal size) and the only savig factor is the IFE. Overall, I would gladly take the non-avod B777-200 for that extra width.

Comment

Working...
                                X