X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ A330 cabins, routes, timing, etc.

According to Airbus webpage, SQ had leased 19 a330-300 for 5-6 years

Here is my questions:

1. what are the registration no going to be?
    2. will the A330 have the same cabin layout as the 77W? if no, what is the difference
    3. will it be 2 class or 3 class? will it be in the new SQ interior?
    4. when are they going to operate it?
    5. what has SQ done to prepare for it?
    6. on which route will it be deployed
    7. why did SQ leased those planes? and also, why they chose the planes instead of the 777?

The A330-300s were leased because SQ dithered too long before ordering the A350 or 787 and because the terms were very favourable as compensation for the WhaleJet delays.

The A330s will be fitted with a regional configuration, not a long-haul configuration like the 777-300ERs, and will operate to regional destinations. They will replace 777-200s in this role which will be retired from the SQ fleet as A330s are delivered. I expect that new regional Business and First class seats will be introduced with the A330s.

It is not yet known whether they will be configured with 2 or 3 cabins, though 3 would be a logical guess since they will be replacing 3-cabin aircraft. The registration series has not been announced yet.

Comment

I think the answer to Q7 is this:

What I gather from Flight International is that the A350 is designed to compete with both 787 and 777.

The A350 will replace the 777.

Until the A350 is ready, the A330 will be leased to replace older 777s.

Hopefully 5-6 years down the road, to replace its 77W, SIA has a choice of A350 and Boeing's own 777 replacement ( Boeing is undecided whether to build an all new design or an improved 777). They have their hands full with the 787 at the moment!

Another point. Engineers are scratching there heads as to how A350 can compete in both 787 and 777 markets as different wing designs are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Exactly.

Engineers are scratching there heads as to how A350 can compete in both 787 and 777 markets as different wing designs are needed.
        I think it's a fallacy that the 787 and 777 serve different markets. They serve overlapping markets and the A350 overlaps with both.

Comment

Quite sad since the 777 is a more comfortable plane to be on than the A330. Hopefully SQ fits out the A330s with nice enough seat & interiors to offset that.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
            Quite sad since the 777 is a more comfortable plane to be on than the A330. Hopefully SQ fits out the A330s with nice enough seat & interiors to offset that.
            Well, the A330s will be 8 abreast in Y compared with 9 abreast in the 777s and probably 6 abreast in C compared to 7 abreast for the regional 777s. In that respect alone, the A330s will be more comfortable. In what respect is a 777 more comfortable than an A330? Higher speed. More spacious, less cozy feeling is more comfortable for some. Anything else?

Comment

You are right in regards to 2-2-2 in regional C. It does not feel too 'business class' travelling in the middle center seat.
              For economy, I don't notice significant conveniences flying 330s with 2-4-2 over 777s with 3-3-3. Of course, YMMV.

For me, the higher ceiling matters a lot. Another thing: the 777's overhead bins are bigger and easier to use than A330's.
              I am not sure about this one, but I always feel 777s are more steady during landings/touchdowns than the A330s.

Comment

For me, the higher ceiling matters a lot.
                I can see how some people would prefer the higher ceiling. I can't say it's a big deal for me. I quite like upstairs in the Megatop.

Another thing: the 777's overhead bins are bigger and easier to use than A330's.
                Yes, but I don't spend a large fraction of my flight time operating the overhead bins.

I am not sure about this one, but I always feel 777s are more steady during landings/touchdowns than the A330s.
                I can't think of a reason why that would be the case.

Comment

SQ A330

I'm mildly claustrophobic. So I feel it when aircraft interiors are tight. Avoided upper deck of 747s. The upside to sitting downstairs is that often had cabin had fewer PAXs
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 March 2008, 06:58 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling of fewar

Comment

For me, it is a disappointment that SIA will basically backslide to the 1990s in terms of the equipment they use to serve regional routes. The A330 is the same sloping-inward, low-ceiling cabin that has been in use by Airbus since the A310 days.

I quite enjoyed flying on the larger, roomier 777 on the regional routes, many of which are overnight flights or ones which are of the 5-7 hour variety. It will be a downgrade to be traveling in the smaller, cramped cabin of the A330, though I'm sure SIA will happily spin it as an enhancement.

Comment

Quite sad since the 777 is a more comfortable plane to be on than the A330.
                      Fully agree with you, StarG.

Comment

The 777 vs 330 comfort debate is one that IMHO, is significantly dependent on class of travel. In a typical Y layout, i much prefer the 2-4-2 sequence you'd find in an A330 over 3-3-3, 3-4-2 or 2-5-2 or even God forbid, 3-4-3 ala OS/EK that you'd find on a 777.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          I can't think of a reason why that would be the case.
                          Ground effect from larger wing area perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                            Yes, but I don't spend a large fraction of my flight time operating the overhead bins.
                            I don't suppose a pax uses a large fraction of his/her flight time using the lavatory inflight. But I am sure they do care how well it is designed for their comfort and convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              Ground effect from larger wing area perhaps?
                              Perhaps. It does feel more steady. I am not an engineer, but that's what I have observed.

Comment

Working...
                              X