Ten Days in Tasmania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Days in Tasmania

“We don't get a signal around here”, the slightly bemused waitress replied, when I asked her if there was anywhere on the premises where I could go stand to get a cellphone signal. Not Telstra, not Optus, not Vodafone…no cell phone coverage. Period.

We were far inland in Tasmania, in Pyengana, on the way to the Bay of Fires, after spending 3 days in Launceston. On the long drive through scenic forests and winding hill roads, we had stopped at the Pyengana Dairy Company for lunch at their picturesque farm and café, set amid rolling hills and pastures where a very large number of dairy cows were grazing.

The kids were outside watching the cows. Mrs yflyer turn her gaze up from her bowl of zucchini soup, jaw frozen for an instant, as the waitress’s words sank in, then decided that this was not a concern for the moment. She continued sipping her soup, occasionally taking a bite of the accompanying warm toast with improbably thick slabs of rich butter layered on top. Only a dairy farm would be so generous with butter….

Wonderful food and hospitality, but no connectivity. Needless to say the café didn’t have free wifi either, although free tastings of their award winning cheeses more than made up for this shortcoming.

The lack of connectivity at that moment was an issue for me in one way, though...Google Maps on the iPhone requires an internet connection to set the initial route. Once set, you are fine if there is no cellular coverage, but you need internet at the start to set the destination. Abstinence from Youtube, Facebook, Twitter for a short while is not a bad thing – IT detox has its benefits – but in practical terms I needed Google Maps to provide driving directions to drive to Binalong Bay, just south of the Bay of Fires.

Oh well…it would be back to first principles as far as navigation was concerned. I had a paper map of Tasmania, and the road signs so far were good. And there was a cached map of major roads on Google Maps, on my iPhone, that could still be used.

We eventually got to the next town, near Binalong Bay, where cell coverage was restored, where we paused for a few minutes to enjoy the view of the sea and the orange-red rocks by the sea, before continuing our drive to Freycinet National Park.

By that point, we were about a third of the way through our vacation to Tasmania. This trip would take us from Launceston to Freycinet (via the Tamar Valley wine route and Pyengana) and on to Hobart and Bruny Island. On this trip, our rental SUV would log 1114km…we picked the car up from Launceston Airport, and returned it in Hobart Airport 10 days later.

Just for comparison, I've done a cut-n-paste of a map of Singapore (at equivalent scale) onto this map, just to illustrate the distances involved...
    Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:44 PM.

Our trip started at Changi Airport T1, near peak of the Christmas holiday travel season. I had booked my round trip ticket on Qantas: an A330 service to Sydney, with a short stopover there, before a QF codeshare, operated by a Jetstar A320, to Launceston (LST) where our road trip across Tasmania would start. A thousand or so kilometers later, we would depart Hobart (HBA) on a QF 717 to SYD for a short transit stop, and a visit to the QF Business Lounge, before our QF A330 flight from SYD to SIN.

This would be my first trip to Tasmania. However, Mrs yflyer had been there before, and it was her responsibility to plan the entire vacation – I received a word document with a detailed itinerary via email a couple of weeks before we departed. All I did was add the flight schedules and other logistical details. On this trip, I was merely the driver (“Good morning! What destination do I program on the GPS today?...”)…

If you are interested in an itinerary for a ten day Tasmanian vacation, catering to a foodie, a shopaholic and two restless kids, read on!
    Last edited by yflyer; 2 January 2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

We flew QF as they offered the best deal from Singapore to Tasmania. This included a short stopover in Sydney on the way to Launceston.

We got to Changi Airport T1 fairly early, and so managed to avoid the queues at check-in, which seemed to have formed minutes after we had cleared immigration and had made our way to the QF Lounge – a combined business and first class lounge.

This is a large and fairly new lounge. I like the ambience in this lounge and prefer the catering in this lounge to the J section of the SQ Silver Kris Lounges in T2 and T3.

Our first stop was the bar, where bottles of the wines on offer that day were displayed.

Apart from wine and liquor, there was a full bar, manned that day by Kassey, a warm and gregarious guy, who offered to mix up cocktails of our choice from the very extensive list he had on hand.

Mrs yflyer and I started with a couple of ice cold mojitos…

Later Mrs yflyer made her way back to the bar for a refill and a cocktail recommendation. Kassey mixed her this delicious concoction…

Comment

There was a large dining area, with a buffet as well as 2 cook-to-order selections.

Some of the buffet selections…

The catering in the lounge, developed in collaboration with Neil Perry, and inspired by his Spice Temple restaurants in Australia, was a cut (maybe several cuts…) above what you would get in a typical airport lounge.

The two cook-to-order selections that day were:

Minute steak with Curry Butter and Beans…

And Prawn and Tomato Omelette on Jasmine Rice…

Both tasted good, however the minute steak was miles away in taste and texture from the steak served at Neil Perry’s Rockpool Bar and Grill in Sydney, where we would dine later on our trip.

One of several desserts on offer: A fusion-inspired offering of mango and sago…

On this occasion, I checked out the showers in the lounge as well…

Quite a large number of shower rooms available in this lounge. I did not have to wait, and was immediately shown to a shower room.

Then it was a short walk to our gate.

Comment

Today’s flight to Sydney would be operated by an A330.

This was a two-class (J, Y) configuration, with the old J slanted lie-flat Skybed (2-2-2) and 2-4-2 in Y. By this time next year, Qantas is likely to have these A330’s refurbished with the new interiors.

But the classic Y seats were still quite comfortable.

IFE was full AVOD, on smallish 4:3 displays.

The selection of movies and audio were good though, with both hollywood hits and more eclectic selections.

Large, soft pillow and blanket for each seat in Y.

Three main courses to choose from (Up from two main courses previously).

I chose the fish with the turmeric rice, which was quite delicious.

The pasta selection was tasty as well.

A selection of red, white and sparking wines was available, in small individual bottles.
          Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Prior to landing, a simple breakfast was served.

Coastline off Sydney prior to a smooth landing in the early morning…

Two SQ birds at the terminal: a 77W (9V-SWO) and an A330…

Fiji Airways 737-800, looking very attractive in its livery

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

As our accommodation at Sussex Street, near Darling Harbour, was not yet ready when we arrived in the morning, we dropped our luggage, and took a walk across the Pyrmont Bridge to the Sydney Fish Market for a late breakfast…

A large selection of seafood was available, including lobsters, oysters and a large variety of fish. Several outlets served cooked food as well. The seafood was not particularly cheap, but made for a decent meal.

Abalone sashimi…

Grilled / cooked selections…

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

We stayed at a serviced apartment, Metro Apartments at Darling Harbour.

The location of this apartment complex was ideal, close to the Sydney city center and mall, as well as Darling Harbour, and just a few minutes away from the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay.

The apartment itself had a two storey design, with living room (and sofa bed) and kitchenette on one level, and a bedroom/loft and bathroom on the upper level.

We did the touristy thing and visited the Opera House, and also took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly, which was a great, and inexpensive, way to enjoy great views of the harbour, and coastline, from the water.

Like practically all tourist attractions these days, selfie sticks were everywhere…

A lot to see and do in Sydney. Apart from major landmarks like the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, and Sydney Tower, there is great shopping, a colourful Chinatown, and an aquarium (Home to many sharks and several very large dugongs) and wildlife park right by Darling Harbour.

The Sydney central business district (CBD) and city centre is really compact -- a very walkable city. And they have quite progressive zoning laws as well…

I got my running fix around Darling Harbour and Pyrmont, as well as the Royal Botanic Garden next to the Opera House.

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Before flying to Launceston, we had a very memorable meal at Neil Perry’s Rockpool Bar & Grill at Hunter Street.

Neil Perry’s culinary empire extends from the Rockpool fine dining restaurant and the Rockpool Bar & Grill, to the Asian-inspired Spice Temple and various other ventures, and of course the catering at QF’s signature airport lounges.

I’ve had several meals here in the past, including a very memorable dinner, reserved at the last minute, after a last minute rerouting of my flight from AKL to SIN via SYD, including a one night stopover in Sydney, when volcanic ash from a Chilean volcano disrupted my AKL-SIN SQ flight, with only ANZ operating a 747 service, flown at low altitude to get pax from AKL to SYD.

The lighting in the Rockpool Bar & Grill seemed brighter than before, so I managed to snap a few pictures of the food we had…

Exceptional steak tartare…

Spanner crab, roast cherry tomatos, spicy prawn oil with semolina noodles…

Warm salad of wood fired quail…

Among the main courses we shared at our table was the 440g Rangers Valley Dry Aged Rib-Eye on the Bone. This was a huge steak which I would not have been able to finish on my own. I was glad that Mrs yflyer and my daughters were on hand to assist…

This was my ration of steak, quite possibly one of the best steaks I have eaten, juicy and with a wonderful aroma of barbequed meat…

Dessert was pavlova..

A wonderful dinner – this restaurant remains one of my favourites in Sydney.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

The next day, we headed to Launceston on Jetstar.

After being pampered by Qantas over the years, flying Jetstar came as minor shock.

I don’t see an issue with how LCC’s operate. You get what you pay for. However, I was on a QF codeshare, with a QF flight number, operated by Jetstar, and presumably paying full service airline prices for the ticket, and I could not quite escape the feeling that I was not quite getting my money’s worth.

The check-in process was ok, but I could not help thinking that the cheerfulness and care that I had always experienced with QF ground staff had been dialed down a notch or two.

They seemed to have cut costs on their online check-in kiosk systems as well: it was not possible to add checked luggage and print new baggage tags if you had already checked in previously. You had to go to a counter for any changes or adds.

Nevertheless we got through the process and entered the airside area. As this was a separate terminal from Qantas, we would not have a lounge to go to either prior to the flight.

Our Jetstar A320.

Nearby, a Qantas Bombardier Dash 8 Q400, with a very striking paint scheme.

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

We boarded our A320 through the rear stairs.

This was an all-Y config, laid out in conventional 3-3, with leather seats.

Aircraft cleaning that day did not seem very thorough. Note the sweet wrapper on the floor in our row.

Seat pitch and recline were fine.

Boarding was quick, and we pushed back on time.

A few pics while taxiing and after take-off…

ANZ Dreamliner…

A Qantas A380 turning onto runway 34L for take-off.

On this 1 hour 45 minute flight, refreshments were served.

True to LCC form, there was an extensive Café menu, with a very wide range of food and beverages available, for a price.

A very wide selection was available – if you were willing to pay.

I wasn’t, so I had to settle for water…

All the water you could drink, free of charge.

Our cabin crew that day were friendly and cheerful, and we were set to arrive on schedule. Not much else I could say about Jetstar, really, except that it got us (and our luggage) to Launceston safely, and on time.
                      Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

It was very cloudy as we descended into Launceston.

After touchdown, we deplaned through the rear air stairs, and took a short walk to the terminal.

This was not a large terminal, a single building (domestic only) with arrivals on one side…

And departures on the other…

But after recent experiences at megahubs like DXB, FRA or LHR, I have to say that there is something to be said for small terminals, where there is far less walking involved getting from point A to point B!

We collected our rental car from the Hertz booth, and were on our way into Launceston in minutes.
                        Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Launceston is a small city, with a population of about 100,000. It has a lot of history, first settled in 1806, and is a great starting point for a visit to Tasmania, as well as a base for visiting the many wineries in the Tamar Valley. The quality of produce in the valley must be excellent as well, because all the meals we had were prepared with amazingly fresh and delicious ingredients, especially the seafood, dairy and vegetables.

As a city, it is situated at the confluence of the North and South Esk Rivers, and has walking trails and hills, as well as a small but lively city centre.

Our accomodation in Launceston was Kilmarnock House, which was an old Edwardian-style home turned inn with a variety of beautifully decorated rooms.

This was accomodation with far more character than your typical five star hotel.

Complimentary sherry and port in the evenings for all guests.

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

We stayed in the only two-bedroom unit in the house, on the ground floor. This was less elaborately decorated than the other units, but was large enough for a family of four, and which also included a kitchenette.

This was very comfortable accommodation. We were 5 minutes by car from the city centre, and close to a Coles Supermarket as well, which was a great source of groceries and ingredients for dinner (including super fresh oysters which tasted better than what you would be served in five star hotel buffets in Singapore).

Mrs yflyer made maximum use of the kitchenette, and cooked up meal after delicious meal…

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

We did a whirlwind tour of several wineries along the Tamar Valley Wine Route, including Velo wines, run by a former Tour-de-France cyclist…

Velo Wines is located at very scenic spot in the Tamar Valley, and operates a very popular restaurant as well…

The restaurant had both indoor and outdoor seating on a deck overlooking a very picturesque landscape.

Among the dishes on offer at lunch the day we were there were oysters…

Roast duck with risotto…

Blue-eye Trevalia…

Along with these dishes we had glasses of Velo’s 2012 Sauvignon Blanc and 2011 Pinot Noir.

St Clements Cake for dessert…

Last edited by yflyer; 11 July 2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X