Odyssey on Finnair A350-900XWB - Trip report on AY J A350 January 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or
    Slow cooked reindeer entrecote, roasted celeriac and dark sea buckthorn sauce
    Or
    Ravioli Pasta filled with truffle, Riesling cream sauce and leaf spinach

Desserts
    Cheeses from Finnish small producers:
    Peltolan Blue cheese and “Brandy-pahkina”, matured milk cheese with brandy-nut flavor
    Port wine jam

Macarone-sortiment

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla or strawberry cheesecake Ice Cream
    Coffee and tea, avec

I definitely appreciated being offered both cheese and dessert on today’s flight and I presume that there were plenty extra on this lightly loaded business class cabin.

Scenery after dinner

One of the F/As told me that they would put out a light show after the meal service and it was called “Northern light” and the best view was from the aft cabin. I initially misunderstood them that I would be able to spot the Northern light out from the window and towards the end, I realize that they were using the mood-lightning feature to do a light show. It was pretty cool!

Snacks
    Throughout the flight we will served a variety of snacks and sweets in the cabin.
    Feel free to choose from fresh fruits, potato chips, noodles, nuts and almonds and chocolate.

Comment

Midflight winglet shot

The light meal was a major disappointment, and it was served when it was 9:45pm Helsinki time/2:45pm NYC time. It was basically dinnertime and I was actually quite hungry, but that cold salad was such a turnoff. It was honestly the last thing I wanted at that time of the day. There was no meat or seafood topping and I didn’t care how fresh the vegetables were. I wanted at least a hot sandwich or a warm entrée like a pasta dish. They also ran out of bread rolls so only crackers were offered.

Light Meal
      We served a light meal ca 90 minutes before landing.

Goat cheese and beetroot salad with apple and pine nuts
      Balsamic-olive oil or Caesar dressing

Fresh Fruit

Descent began at 4:03pm local time, and I took a series of pictures of the tail camera.

Comment

We landed on R/W31R at 4:46pm.

We parked at gate B6 at 4:52pm.

Unfortunately, this trip ended with a delay that could be avoided. The only saving grace was the quiet immigration hall, as we were the only international flight arriving at these late afternoon hours.

In conclusion, I am a fan of the A350 and look forward flying them in the future, especially with other airlines. Finnair does a pretty good job in decorating the cabin and the joint branding with Marimekko is brilliant. The cabin looks stylish and the new business class suites are definitely a success. Some people mentioned that those reverse herringbone seats are pretty bad for couples, but direct aisle access and suites are more important these days. Most passengers in J are solo travelers, so Finnair makes the correct decision with this seat. Finnair, however, really needs to work on its catering and I feel that the A350 signature menu has some cutbacks, rather than improvement. You need to serve more substantive courses and maybe offering a dessert tray with fruit, cheese, and dessert will be necessary at least on daytime flights.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this A350 trip report!

Carfield

Comment

Thanks for posting. ^

Comment

Very nice report, Carfield!

The Y product looks very similar to the QR A350XWB Y product, whereas the J product looks different. QR J also has a herringbone layout, but the partitions on AY look higher and the seat features and config look different.

If the fare is right, I might consider AY (in Y) for a future trip to Europe.

Comment

Great report. Always appreciate a first report of a new aircraft type. Tks.

Comment

Excellent report Carfield - Love the HD cameras on the 350

Comment

Working...
                X