Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uber, Gitane and SQ1 SFO-SIN in New Economy Class (77WN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

icn.sg, to be pedantic, the aircraft in the pic is actually an A310-200 (note the lack of winglets that the -300 had).

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
      icn.sg, to be pedantic, the aircraft in the pic is actually an A310-200 (note the lack of winglets that the -300 had).
      Hi SQGamespeed Thanks. I am aware. I did mention that the 3TEN decal was only featured on a few of their A310-200s.
      Last edited by icn.sg; 23 November 2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        Excellent trip report. Wish I had taken a 77WN both ways back in June, but if there are plans to go to India via SQ next year (Assuming August very likely), either route I will still get the newest seats.

However, I saw some 77WR pics, and the maps on the 77WN are nice too, but the 77WR has the newest, and better maps (3D maps with a lot of information). Hopefully they can update that as they have taken away some info compared to the older maps. I can imagine how comfortable these seats can be, because they're very similar to EK's A380 seats, which were just as comfortable.
        Thanks, SQfanatic!

I haven't had the opportunity to try the 77WR yet.

Yes, the latest SQ seats are quite similar to the newest EK A380 Y seats (I have only tried them once. Only a few EK A380's seem to have the latest seat design. More on that EK seat in the TR here.). It looks like the same seat frame, but there are many small differences in how the seat is outfitted. Agree it is also very comfortable, though.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
          Another high quality report!

Have not had the chance to fly the 77WN yet. The product does look good, but 14h45min is on hell of a flight!
          Thanks, dfs24!

The SFO-HKG sector has always been really long, one of the longest in the current route network, I believe.

It has never happened to me, but I heard that on a few occasions in the past, when the route was being operated by 744's, once in a long while the aircraft had to make a tech stop in TPE to refuel before heading to HKG, because of the very strong headwinds.

That said, I find it to be a perfectly comfortable Y flight, and overall it is probably similar in terms of flight experience as SIN-LHR (13 hour sector) for example.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            What can I say, another stunning report!

Good to know that you had a little more time in SFO to take in the sights. SFO is a very photogenic city. How many days of blue skies does SFO experience a year?
            Thanks, icn.sg!

Yes, SF is a great city if you are into photography...good shots anywhere you point your camera...

Skies are usually a beautiful, clear blue. And even when foggy, you get beautiful photos, for example a mist/fog-shrouded Golden Gate Bridge.

I've not had the luck to try out the latest generation SQ cabins. I've heard very positive comments about them, and this report confirms it. Is SQ1/2 always operated by the 77WN?

The footrest looks a little smaller than the 2006 Y product, or is it just the angle that the photo was taken?

Were you offered a crew meal or special meal?
            I believe SQ1/2 should always be 77WN these days. (Any experts can confirm this?)

Not sure about the footrest size, but my feet still slide off in a slightly annoying way...

I suspect the meal I was given was another special meal which was loaded, but not consumed. I had the impression crew meals came on bigger casseroles.

It used to be nothing but noodles or fried rice for Asian breakfast; but we are seeing more interesting options lately... Lor Mai Kai, Chee Cheong Fun....
            I wonder if SQ serves congee for breakfast. CX and JL both do.

I've lost count of the number of trip reports where you had Jurassic World on your IFE screen! You must love dinosaurs!
            Actually, I've not watched the full movie yet! I just fast forward to a spot in the movie (The same spot, if I can) to take the picture, so that the resolution of the different screens on the planes can be compared!

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
              The reason is speed. The new OnAir systems are going to use a different satellite network and different bands then the current OnAir systems - it should be faster than current systems or even the Panasonic wifi the 77WNs have now.
              I hope we get the best of both worlds...faster speed, and the same time-based charging model on the 77WNs, and not the exorbitant data volume-based models on the current OnAir system.

I doubt anyone seriously thinks that a data volume-based model is viable. Time-based charging models are the way to go.

I certainly would not sign up for a data volume-based plan unless I was planning on using WhatsApp (text only, no images -- very economical on data usage) to keep in touch with someone on the ground.

Comment

I don't think the 3TEN decal served the same marketing purpose as the "Celestar", "Jubilee", "Big Top" etc... It only appeared on some of the A310-200s in the old livery. They disappeared when SQ updated their livery in the late 80s. SQ didn't name the A310-300s.

Found this pic of the 3TEN on wiki...

Thanks for this amazing photo! I had forgotten that it used to be the sea on one side of Changi Coast Road!

I haven't seen many of those A310's without the wingtip fences.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  Thanks, icn.sg!

I wonder if SQ serves congee for breakfast. CX and JL both do.
                  Here's your answer... SIN-CAN oriental breakfast circa 2011. Not seen them around lately though...

Comment

I hope we get the best of both worlds...faster speed, and the same time-based charging model on the 77WNs, and not the exorbitant data volume-based models on the current OnAir system.

I doubt anyone seriously thinks that a data volume-based model is viable. Time-based charging models are the way to go.

I certainly would not sign up for a data volume-based plan unless I was planning on using WhatsApp (text only, no images -- very economical on data usage) to keep in touch with someone on the ground.
                    The irony is that just last month at a convention, an executive for Inmarsat (which provides the satellites that OnAir uses) spoke in favor of time-based charging; meanwhile a Panasonic Aviation executive praised data volume-based charging. So each company is praising the opposite of what they're doing right now, at least as far as SQ is concerned.

I would actually not be surprised if the new OnAir systems go with a time-based charge, especially if it's as fast as they promise.

Comment

Here's your answer... SIN-CAN oriental breakfast circa 2011. Not seen them around lately though...

Thanks for the pic, icn.sg! Interesting that they serve it with a metal foil dish inside the large plastic casserole...

Comment

I would actually not be surprised if the new OnAir systems go with a time-based charge, especially if it's as fast as they promise.
                        Fingers crossed that they do! Most websites or apps these days are not optimised for data traffic, and it is almost impossible to estimate how much traffic a given app or website will take up.

Comment

Thanks for the pic, icn.sg! Interesting that they serve it with a metal foil dish inside the large plastic casserole...
                          There was a period when SQ claimed it has a "shortage" of casseroles, thus almost all flights used disposable wares. I suspect SQ had wanted to test out the popularity of disposable casseroles but later decided against it...
                          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

The irony is that just last month at a convention, an executive for Inmarsat (which provides the satellites that OnAir uses) spoke in favor of time-based charging; meanwhile a Panasonic Aviation executive praised data volume-based charging. So each company is praising the opposite of what they're doing right now, at least as far as SQ is concerned.

If that be the case, both having fast internet and time-based usage makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                              There was a period when SQ claimed it has a "shortage" of casseroles, thus almost all flights used disposable wares. I suspect SQ had wanted to test out the popularity of disposable casseroles but later decided against it...
                              I am glad they decided against it. A proper casserole makes a difference to me. To think at one stage they were actually ceramic in Y. They should use ceramics in PEY at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                                For the A359,with the removal of the F cabin and cutting back of capacity compared to the B77W could be suitably christened the 'Mega Cut' fleet...
                                I wonder if SFO really has a lot of F demand. If so, it wouldn't make sense to deploy an A359 as it has much less capacity than the 77W. So far I'm glad they're keeping 77Ws for SFO for now; hoping one day they get 2 daily 77WRs.

Comment

Working...
                                X