SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
    But why SYI first and not SYF/L which don’t have the refitted cabin. Or even SYH which is older 🤔
    It's related the maintenance cycles not the age or cabins of the aircraft.

Comment

• in some ways the age are related if the aircrafts are not like stored for some time, as like for heavy maintenance or what was called D checks are done on average every 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        It's related the maintenance cycles not the age or cabins of the aircraft.
        i know.
        and so that suggests that the other 773s are on their way out too. point being that if there was any intention to keep any, they'd perform the maintenance on SYI and instead retire SYF... which is 3 years older with old seats and likely a lot more cycles on it.

removal of titles but with base livery usually = scrap.
        paint all white = going to buyer

Comment

...they'd perform the maintenance on SYI and instead retire SYF... which is 3 years older with old seats and likely a lot more cycles on it.
          I believe that age and cycles doesn't always correlate to one another, i.e. the older an aircraft is doesn't necessarily means more cycles.. Could that have been the case of SYF vs SYI etc?

I guess only SQ would really know...?

Comment

• Pretty sure the 3 year difference in age will still mean more cycles. 773s have been used quite evenly for a consistent range of destinations.

Btw not sure If this has been talked about - SQ appears to have stored ALL 77Ws. None in use. Looks like they’re really choosing to work their newer aircraft hard. Any one understands why? 77W also quite decent on cargo space.
            Without 777s in the air (save for a lone SYJ), won’t that group of flight crew be rendered useless for the time being? I’m not sure if 777 Pilots are certified for 787s too?

Comment

Pretty sure the 3 year difference in age will still mean more cycles. 773s have been used quite evenly for a consistent range of destinations.

Btw not sure If this has been talked about - SQ appears to have stored ALL 77Ws. None in use. Looks like they’re really choosing to work their newer aircraft hard. Any one understands why? 77W also quite decent on cargo space.
              Without 777s in the air (save for a lone SYJ), won’t that group of flight crew be rendered useless for the time being? I’m not sure if 777 Pilots are certified for 787s too?
              Cos the A350 is around 25% more fuel efficient? They have 20+ LH A350 plus the regional A350/787. More than enough to fulfill the current fleet requirements.

Comment

Pretty sure the 3 year difference in age will still mean more cycles. 773s have been used quite evenly for a consistent range of destinations.

Nope, SIA have been using its 77Ws to fly to Japan, China and to Australia and they are using 11 of their 77Ws. Similarly SQ is using all 15 of its 787s too. These planes are not used daily but rotated every 2 to 4 days. This is to maintain these number of aircrafts in flyable condition, in order that additional flights can be mounted anytime when flights permit.
                Last edited by flyguy; 16 July 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Only SWR has made a single flight to PEK Last night.. The remaining 26 have not been in the air for awhile.

Of course fuel efficiency of the A350s and 78X matters. But surely that can’t be the sole deciding factor?
                  As it stands SQ is parking their entire 777 (less SYJ and SWR), A380 and A330 fleet (and also SilkAir 737s and 320s). That’s quite a statement, operationally.

Comment

• As of June, there were 11 77Ws that were kept flyable although they do not fly on a daily basis. The only aircraft that SIA does not fly is the A380s since the lock down and expected it wont be flying till the end of the year or even till early next year.
                    Scoot have started operating a very limited flights from 3rd Jul using its A320s to cities like Kuching, Penang, Ipoh, Surabaya etc and been using its 787s to HKG, Perth, Taipei etc

Comment

• I think you have been missing my point man.. I’m saying that all the 77Ws are defacto “in storage”. Parked away for now. None of them have flown since June (except SWR on only one rotation). A330s have been grounded since April.

Comment

Hmm yeah you do have a valid point. I guess only SQ would really know...

Comment

Pretty sure the 3 year difference in age will still mean more cycles.
                          It's not about age. If there is major maintenance due that frame is likely to go first. The older aircraft might have already had that maintenance work completed so it makes sense to keep them.

Comment

I think you have been missing my point man.. I’m saying that all the 77Ws are defacto “in storage”. Parked away for now. None of them have flown since June (except SWR on only one rotation). A330s have been grounded since April.
                            https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-nov-2020/

There you have it. Was actually published in June, missed it somehow.
                            Confirms 77Ws will be parked as well.

Are the 777 Pilots crosses trained on 787s/A350s?

Comment

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-nov-2020/

There you have it. Was actually published in June, missed it somehow.
                              Confirms 77Ws will be parked as well.

Are the 777 Pilots crosses trained on 787s/A350s?
                              SIA have stated then that they will not sell first class tickets but that in itself does not mean the 77Ws were all being parked, but they were used for cargo only flights. The 77Ws will returned to service and not parked permanently and doubt the pilots will be retrained on other aircraft types, as secondly the 787s and A350s pilots crew are not flying on a frequent basis. But would think some A380s pilots will be trained on other aircraft types as the A380s have nit been flying since April and doubt they be flying till early next year and SIA may be evaluating a smaller fleet of A380s.
                              Last edited by flyguy; 22 July 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• SWR is operating SQ806/801 to Beijing today.

Comment

Working...
                                X