• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice report. Great Pics enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      Comparison with SQ Economy

Cabin ambience in PEY was far roomier and more spacious than Y. The SQ PEY seat is a definite improvement in comfort to Y – and for that alone, I would recommend PEY over Y if the price was right. The only caveat to that is I still feel that 3 or 4 empty Y seats is superior to a single PEY seat, so if I knew for sure this was a lightly loaded flight, I would stick to Y.

That's exactly the gamble, and especially, as you say, SQ try to charge $1200 for a 1-way upgrade.

I think I would be actually upset on the verge of p!ssed to find out check-in staff could have got me a 3 or 4 seat row/section to myself on such a lightly loaded flight instead of putting me into a full PEY cabin. Definitely, for me, a far superior option. It's almost like they're trying to heard everyone together so crew don't have so much work/walking to do.

It used to be the gamble with old J so whilst it remains, the bet is smaller with PEY.

Even having a two next to the window would be my choice compared with a PEY where the armrest is fixed.

HOWEVER......all that said, excellent report and many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
        That's exactly the gamble, and especially, as you say, SQ try to charge $1200 for a 1-way upgrade.

I think I would be actually upset on the verge of p!ssed to find out check-in staff could have got me a 3 or 4 seat row/section to myself on such a lightly loaded flight instead of putting me into a full PEY cabin. Definitely, for me, a far superior option. It's almost like they're trying to heard everyone together so crew don't have so much work/walking to do.

It used to be the gamble with old J so whilst it remains, the bet is smaller with PEY.

Even having a two next to the window would be my choice compared with a PEY where the armrest is fixed.

Actually I thought they want to do this to give frequent Y flyers a taste of what PEY can offer so they maybe tempted to fly it next time. So it's all about marketing strategy I Guess.

Comment

Great. Just what we are missing here. A SQ Y+ report. Thanks for taking the effort.

I noticed the empty Y loading also. I am guessing someone in HQ churned some data, looked at frequent Y travellers who have "business trip" symptoms (3 day stay etc), then decides to upgrade them to hopefully get them addicted. Bait and hook?

Was the crew dedicated to the PEY cabin? How was the speed of dinner service? Were they more proactive with refills etc?

The seat looks quite decent and damn! that's a very thin IFE screen. Surprised at the noise cancelling headphone and express immigration offerings. The meals look quite Y-ish with subtle differences like 2 choice of bread and a better dessert. But as you said, given how good SQ Y catering is, the meal might actually be quite up to market rate with other PEY.

Comment

I have been looking forward to a detailed SQ PEY report, and was hoping that you'd be the one writing it... as you are one of the most detailed TR writers I've come across. You didn't disappoint.

I think the PEY product looks very good. The noise cancelling headphones is a good start. The meals are very well presented too. The tray comes with a 'table cloth' (or whatever fanciful name there is for it). That in itself is already up a notch above the LH PEY tray. I don't mind plastic table ware, as long as the meal is presented nicely. SQ's Y class tableware is very nice and elegant as it is.

I'm sure your PEY would have been greatly enhanced if you had flown on an aircraft that had the latest IFE installed.

Somehow I prefer the dark tone colors of the LH PEY seat.

Just based on photos alone, I would even say that SQ's PEY is way ahead of CX's... in terms of seat and meals.
            Last edited by icn.sg; 12 October 2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Great write up Yflyer!!

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                No read it all as I am running short on time, but good job! The pictures are great. Thanks for the time and effort.
                Thanks, FN-GM!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  Thanks for sharing.
                  I had a feeling you might be the 1st person to write a SQ PEY TR here and sure enough.
                  Thanks, 9V-JKL! I think lots of folks were waiting for a TR on SQ PEY...glad the opportunity arose to write one up!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    Thanks for the first PEY TR.

Enjoyable and informative.

Love LHR T2!

Great pictures.
                    Thanks, 9V-SIA! Glad you like the pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
                      Very nice review. I was recently on EVA Air Elite Class (premium economy), which was not bad. Just interested to know how it compares with SQ's premium economy. Being the newer product, SQ wins in many areas.

SQ has better service and probably food offerings (at least I had to provide my own instant noodles on EVA). IFE is better on SQ too (bigger screen, better selections). Storage wise, SQ wins, with plenty of storage and USB plugs, while EVA only have the front pocket. Not too sure if this is illusion, but the EVA elite class seems to be wider, as the seat back increase in width over the armrests.
                      Thanks, fone!

I've never flown EVA, but I believe they were one of the first, if not the very first, to introduce this. Now that they are part of Star Alliance, I am looking for opportunities to fly them to check out what they have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post
                        What are those black specks in the grooves and recessed area of the seat?
                        Hi sabian! You got me there...I have no clue. Probably dirt.

If you want to estimate the age of a plane, just look into the the compartment where the tray table is stowed -- if you dare! No one ever cleans in there.

While on this topic, many pax are absolute slobs when it comes to the mess they make during the flight. After a long flight, a stroll through the Y cabin to the exit will usually reveal a disaster zone of blankets, plastic bags, bread and cookie crumbs, spilled food strewn all over the aisle...

I could have spanked the kid (and parent) who left a trail of chocolate M&M's all over the floor of a brand new QR A350 on a flight a few months back...

What happens to people when they board planes? Why do they lose all common sense and civic mindedness? Do they leave trash all over the place when they are at home?

For the record, I keep my Y seat, and immediate vicinity, nice and tidy from start to finish...

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Nice report. Great Pics enjoyed it
                        Thanks, SQflyergirl!

Well if the flight were really lightly loaded, it may be possible to eat the meals in PEY then stroll back for a nap :-)

In the case of my flight, the flight was reasonably well filled, but not completely...there were empty seats scattered throughout, especially in the rear, but not really what I would call "lightly loaded". So I think it was, in this case, a "courtesy upgrade", maybe for frequent flyers to try out PEY.

On a few rare occasions, on SQ and EK, I have been on very lightly loaded flights where many pax could have 3 or 4 seat Y-flat beds, and yes, those have been very pleasant flights!

Thanks, scooby5!

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                        Great. Just what we are missing here. A SQ Y+ report. Thanks for taking the effort.
                        Thanks, dfs24!

I noticed the empty Y loading also. I am guessing someone in HQ churned some data, looked at frequent Y travellers who have "business trip" symptoms (3 day stay etc), then decides to upgrade them to hopefully get them addicted. Bait and hook?
                        I think that is a possibility! As I mentioned in my reply to scooby5 the flight wasn't THAT lightly loaded. It just wasn't completely full (By contrast, my return A380 CDG-SIN was completely full in Y...).

I suspect they are either giving Y to PEY upgrades to frequent flyers or target upsell candidates (e.g. business flyers as you have suggested) to try it out, or they don't want the PEY cabins to go out looking too empty, so they upgrade a few pax from Y. The pax sitting next to me had BTC options for both supper and breakfast, so she was definitely a fare paying passengers (And PPS too, from her luggage tag...).

Was the crew dedicated to the PEY cabin? How was the speed of dinner service? Were they more proactive with refills etc?
                        I saw the same group of crew throughout the flight, so I would guess they are dedicated. But I think after the PEY cabin is done, they probably go help in the back too.

Speed of service was fantastic. The PEY cabin is very small, and everyone was served very quickly. Yes, lots of refills too!

The seat looks quite decent and damn! that's a very thin IFE screen. Surprised at the noise cancelling headphone and express immigration offerings. The meals look quite Y-ish with subtle differences like 2 choice of bread and a better dessert. But as you said, given how good SQ Y catering is, the meal might actually be quite up to market rate with other PEY.
                        The IFE screen is spectacular -- one of the nicest I have seen, even compared to J on other airlines. The immigration fast track was a nice surprise too. Very useful!

For the food, I am still not sure if the PEY main course is different from Y. If there is a difference, it is quite subtle. I should have opened my mouth to ask the cabin crew...oh well, next time round!
                        Last edited by SQflyergirl; 13 October 2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          While on this topic, many pax are absolute slobs when it comes to the mess they make during the flight. After a long flight, a stroll through the Y cabin to the exit will usually reveal a disaster zone of blankets, plastic bags, bread and cookie crumbs, spilled food strewn all over the aisle...

I could have spanked the kid (and parent) who left a trail of chocolate M&M's all over the floor of a brand new QR A350 on a flight a few months back...

What happens to people when they board planes? Why do they lose all common sense and civic mindedness? Do they leave trash all over the place when they are at home?

For the record, I keep my Y seat, and immediate vicinity, nice and tidy from start to finish...
                          Haha, reminds me of the QR flight I took a couple of months back where during disembarking in London, the entire A330 economy cabin looked like a warzone with newspapers/magazines/food/wrappers/trash on the floor or stuffed everywhere, and that was after the crew had collected the blankets prior to landing!! Conversely, on the A350 flights to/from SIN, the cabin still remained relatively clean and tidy.
                          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                            I have been looking forward to a detailed SQ PEY report, and was hoping that you'd be the one writing it... as you are one of the most detailed TR writers I've come across. You didn't disappoint.

I think the PEY product looks very good. The noise cancelling headphones is a good start. The meals are very well presented too. The tray comes with a 'table cloth' (or whatever fanciful name there is for it). That in itself is already up a notch above the LH PEY tray. I don't mind plastic table ware, as long as the meal is presented nicely. SQ's Y class tableware is very nice and elegant as it is.

I'm sure your PEY would have been greatly enhanced if you had flown on an aircraft that had the latest IFE installed.
                            Thanks, icn.sg! Your attention to detail is amazing too! You spotted the tablecloth although I actually forgot to mention it in the TR. I went back to edit the text to mention the tablecloth after I read your comment.

Regarding the IFE, they probably didn't want the hassle of having different IFE across cabins on the A380, and since the other A380 cabin sections have no touchscreen, probably decided to disable it on the PEY screen too. I hope the 77WN PEY cabin has a touchscreen.

Regarding the catering, for some reason I think having real glasses would make a difference to the passenger experience in PEY...although I do agree that in most respects SQ Y catering is already up to PEY standards on other airlines. I just hope they don't decide to downgrade Y service...

Somehow I prefer the dark tone colors of the LH PEY seat.
                            Interesting point you make!

If I were looking at just the seat in isolation, I think the LH seat would look a little dull compared to the SQ seat, which is a striking piece of design. But the interesting this is, taken as a whole, the overall cabin ambience on LH PEY is warm and cosy, whereas on the SQ A380 PEY cabin, the riot of colours on the seats, grey, white orange, blue, etc are almost too much and although the cabin was stylish, there was so much energy and colour in the design that it almost felt that the cabin was flying along as 600 mph although we were still on the ground.

Just based on photos alone, I would even say that SQ's PEY is way ahead of CX's... in terms of seat and meals.
                            I think the SQ PEY seat and the new CX Regional J seat are almost comparable!

I've not tried CX PEY yet...hope to do so at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
                              Actually I thought they want to do this to give frequent Y flyers a taste of what PEY can offer so they maybe tempted to fly it next time. So it's all about marketing strategy I Guess.
                              A distinct possibility, reddevil0728! Anyway it is nice to see SQ doing op-ups for reasons other than overbooking...

Comment

Cheers for another great TR yflyer!
                                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                                X