Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Trip Part 2: A Rant on Virgin Australia

Aussie Trip Part 2: A Rant on Virgin Australia
    Virgin Australia – Why so different between April and September?

Disclaimer – it is more like a complaint then a full trip report filled with many photos. I was so tired by this point, and taking pictures were not a priority anymore. There were plenty of photos of Virgin America’s new 737 business and economy products out there.

As some of you might recall, I wrote an excellent review of Virgin Australia’s premium transcontinental business class flights on its A330s in April. I flew a roundtrip between Sydney and Perth, so I could try out the critically acclaimed service, or at least somehow forced Qantas to step up its effort in making its Coast-to-Coast flights all A330s featuring international seats and style catering. When I flew in April, the Virgin Australia’s bean counters decided to cut a few things and made the international style amenity kit available only in late night flights that operate after 7 or 8pm – basically the last flight from MEL to PER, and the redeye flights from PER to BNE/SYD/MEL. So I was determined to fly a redeye on this A330 coast-to-coast flight, and otherwise, I would not torture myself with this HKG-SIN-PER-CNS flight. I used my Virgin America points again and the redeye flights were generally fairly opened in availability and when I booked in mid-July, I noticed that the BNE redeye flight has already changed to 737, which features a regional business class seat with 40 inches of legroom. I have a choice between Sydney or Melbourne, and fundamentally I decided on Sydney, which was the major city and using that logic, I think if this is a downgrade to 737, it would affect Melbourne, rather than Sydney, and how wrong were I! About a week before departure, I checked on the seat map and tried to see if there was anyone sitting next to me. I like to check periodically, and am pretty shocked to find a downgrade of my redeye SYD flight to 737, and MEL flight remained an A330. It was nearly impossible to change the flights this late, as MEL to CNS flights were already all full. I immediately went on twitter and the Virgin Australia team came back with the bad news. When I asked about how service was affected, the VA twitter team reassured me that the catering would remain the same, but international style amenity kit would not be available. There were only eight business class seats on the 737s and there should be plenty of spaces for eight international amenity kits that you were going to pass out in the beginning of the flight. Fundamentally, the price and points required on these flights do not go down because of the downgrade, and despite the smaller galley in the 737s, there should be little effects. The seats are already a bumper but of course Virgin Australia takes the term “downgrade” to another level.

September 19, 2014
    VA 572 PER-SYD Lv2355 Arr0615+1 Boeing 737-800 Winglet “Sandy Bay”

Check-in was efficient, despite that the agent was not particularly bright. My request for interlining bags on two different VA tickets was not honored, which I sort of expected. I just tried my luck. I did not think the agent made an effort but given how she barely managed to check me in on the simple Perth to Sydney flight, I did not expect miracles to happen. The Virgin Australia Lounge at Perth was quite busy with three redeye flights, but I found a table to check emails and had a light meal of ham and cheese sandwich and some really nice Tom Yum Prawn soup.

Gate 17

Boarding began at 11:31pm and it was evidenced that why SYD had a downgrade, as the load was not particularly high in both cabins. I was not sure if many passengers changed their flights after the down gauge, especially in business class. There were only two passengers when I checked at Singapore earlier in the day, but in the end, there were a total of six passengers and only the two guys in row 2 got an empty seat next to them.

A few shot of the J seat – well they were at least better than most US domestic 737 seats, especially compared to Alaska and Delta. The legroom was okay in the bulkhead row. There was power outlet at each seat. However when I flew Qantas’ 737 a few days later, Qantas definitely won big on the narrowbody business class seat war with more comfortable seat and better legroom and recline.

At each seat, a Samsung table with headphones was already placed in each seat, along with a thin flimsy blanket. There were no pillows and noise-canceling headsets.

There was no pre-takeoff beverage service being offered. Two F/As just stood at the entrance welcoming passengers. I thought at least one of them could do a quick juice or water round. On the premium A330 flight, orange juice or champagne was offered. Thankfully the light load allowed a speedy boarding, and door was closed at 11:48pm. We took off from R/W21 at 11:58pm for our four hours flight to Sydney. I was able to trace our flight over the Map function over the wifi streaming service. We first climbed to 37,000 feet before entering the Great Australian Bight, and then eventually climbed up to 39,000feet. Due to some light chops, we descended back to 37,000feet a bit before climbing back to 39,000feet, just as we passed Cape Camot/Port Lincoln. Then we passed the Gulf of St. Vincent, the city of Adelaide, and Ouyen, before descending to 38,000feet.

Entertainment – Samsung Tablets in business with headsets
    I really like Virgin Australia’s streaming service, as I am able to login using my own iPhone or using the tablet provided. The selection of television programs and movies is above average, but Qantas “Q” has more programs though. I like the map function and the ability to track the plane. I kept it on throughout the flight. That was perhaps the best aspect of the flight.

After takeoff, cabin manager immediately took our beverage and meal order. While there was no menu, he showed us the choices of the entrées on the company provided iPads. It was a choice of Sweet Corn Soup or a warmed chicken and watercress sandwich, which was my choice. The meal came with a rosemary roll and a black cherry chocolate brownie. There was no hot towel service prior to meal service, and there was no linen to cover the table or the tray. The sandwich was actually quite nice but not sure whey they needed to serve another bread roll. The brownie was delicious, and they were from Simmone Longue Bakery’s comfort food series.

Meal pictures:

The meal service was completed at 12:30am and the work for the F/As apparently stopped too. There was no offering of bottled waters or frequent cabin checks. I actually had to use my call button to get a bottle of water.

My attempt to take a picture of Adelaide in the middle of the night!

Seats in Recline position – my neighbor went to the bathroom

According to previous trip reports on Virgin Australia’s non-premium redeye flights and twitter team, there should be a continental breakfast service prior to arrival. So around 2am, I just could not sleep on these seats anymore and decided to freshen up before the cabin activity began again. But nothing happened. After the pilot made his pre-descent announcement, the cabin manager did a promotional piece on Virgin Australia’s Velocity program – not the greatest wake up call. It was obvious that there was no more continental breakfast, and there was not even an attempt to do a quick orange juice or coffee runs. If AA or DL can manage an OJ or coffee run, I don’t think I am asking too much from Virgin Australia, a premium airline. One can argue if a continental breakfast is needed, but then I think it is an expectation problem. The bean counters really like to upset me anytime I decide to step onboard. They have to cut something.

Early morning shot of Sydney and Sydney Airport

Descent soon began at 5:38am Sydney local time, and we seemed to suffer some problems. We missed out first attempt at 6am, and then circled around the Bay a bit, before finally landing on R/W34L at 6:32am. We parked at Gate 44 seven minutes later. The priority tag worked magically and came out at 6:50am.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to collect bag and rechecked again for my separate economy class ticket to Cairns. I was able to use the priority check in and lounge at Sydney because of my Delta Diamond Medallion status.

VA 1413 SYD-CNS Lv0850 Arr1200 Boeing 737-800 Winglet VH-VOT “Butterfly Blue” in the original Virgin Blue livery

I did not really have much to say on this flight. The new economy cabin was great and the exit row was well worthy of the price, and I get an empty window on this almost 100% full flight.

I bought a flex ticket and got a free meal with my choice of juices, water, and tea/coffee!
    The package includes a Rennard’s Raspberry & White Chocolate Muffin, an apple, and a Carman’s Dark Chocolate Blueberry & Almond bar.

Spotted a Qantas Boeing 767 at CNS – they will be missed after their retirement in December!

Priority tag worked again at Cairns!

In conclusion, I was very disappointed with the down-gauge and downgrade of my Perth to Sydney flight, and out of all flights, they choose to downgrade a redeye flight. If the downgrade of seats is insufficient, it has to downgrade the service. Those transcontinental flights are very expensive in terms of points and money, so there are certain expectations that passengers expect, even if you substitute a 737 for the flights. I expect that amenities and catering will not be affected, but Virgin Australia fails at all counts. I honestly am a bit hesitant in booking another Virgin Australia transcontinental flight, as a change from A330 to B737 is really not fun, especially if I have to pay. I honestly can’t believe that Virgin Australia is downgrading the Brisbane to Perth flight from mostly A330 to Boeing 737s, and who in the right mind will pay for such a major downgrade. With only seven A330s now and the reconfiguration of its A330 business class, there will be more aircraft substitution and Virgin Australia needs to either offer some kind of compensation in terms of points and travel vouchers, but it has to be set aside a few 737s with improved sleeper seats. For short term, Virgin Australia has to offer the same menu and amenities that it publicizes in the website. At least people get the expected meals and snacks, with expected amenities. Galley is smaller on the 737s, but they can handle eight noise-canceling headsets, eight amenity kits, eight pillows, and eight copies of printed menus. It needs to make the best effort in matching the service and that is the minimal expectation, which I don’t think I am asking too much.

Thanks for reading this trip report, which is basically some major ranting.

Carfield

Comment

Working...
    X