Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ short of space in T3 at peak periods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 10 years ago, I was bused from an SQ 744 arriving from CDG. I was flying First and while the crew barred Y pax and allowed F pax off first, the bus didn't leave until it was nicely jammed packed with as many people as possible. Together with the then bmi lounge at CDG, it reinforced the fact that SQ is good in the air, but poor on the ground...

Comment

We had B4 then B3 for Sunday mornings SQ52. Better than C20 for sure.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      I have never had a remote bay arrival or departure at Changi, thankfully. What gates are used for those then ?
      To answer my own question, and as it is now clearly stated on the banner at the entrance to the SKL, the remote gates are A6, A7 and C2. They claim to try and make sure that any flight with FCL doesn't get a remote gate, but as the post above by kt74 shows, that has certainly not always been the case.

Comment

Remote gates at T3 are A6, A7, A8. The actual aircraft would be located at the new remote bays at the southern end of the airport, which is some distance away.

There are a total of 5 MARS bays at terminal 2. Aircrafts are usually towed away to remote bays if they have a ground time of more than 4 to 5 hours during peak periods. Only the A380s are an exception to this as they have limited bays. As narrowbody bays are almost empty after 12 at T4, MI and TR narrowbodies are towed there.

Hopefully, the situation should improve once TR migrates to T1 by the end of this year. This should give an opportunity for CAG to move some airlines from T3 to T2 to free up space there.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
          There are a total of 5 MARS bays at terminal 2.
          There are 6 actually.

E24R/L
          E27R/L

F35R/L
          F52R/L
          F56R/L
          F59R/L
          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Seems to be a common occurrence now. Tonight's SQ 22 is at C20 again (second time for me) and the check in agent told me this seems to happen a lot for the ULH flights. C1 was SQ as well bound for Osaka.

Comment

SQ213|15MAY (SIN-PER) utilised gate C24 this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                There are 6 actually.

E24R/L
                E27R/L

F35R/L
                F52R/L
                F56R/L
                F59R/L
                I remember departing on former MI492 from gate F58R back in December 2016. Trying to understand if it has L and R (at least according to the app), this likely means two aerobridges in the same gate for different flights. Thats what I could recall.

Comment

Much as I understand the L and R are Changi's terminology and don't show up in the apps.

As far as passengers are concerned, you see two departures from the same gate and then they do boarding calls inside the gate room.
                  an infrastructure geek

Comment

Departed from T4 on MI last weekend. Saw several MI planes using the T4 aerobridges. Was bussed from F55 (IIRC) from T2 over to T4, and had to climb the stairs located by the side of the aerobridge for boarding.

Comment

yes and mentioned this before as many MI planes are parked overnight at T4, and some are Scoot. However saw only MI bussing pax to the planes at T4 in the mornings only and not Scoot.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        I remember departing on former MI492 from gate F58R back in December 2016. Trying to understand if it has L and R (at least according to the app), this likely means two aerobridges in the same gate for different flights. Thats what I could recall.
                        Gate F58 is not a MARS gate. So you probably were using either F56R or F59R.

F59R/L and F60 share a common gatehold room.

yuuka_miya is right. The L/R is not reflected on the official iChangi app. In the gatehold rooms, they don't use L/R anyways. They use A/B:

Photo from Changi Connection Magazine (March 2012: Issue 15)

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                          Gate F58 is not a MARS gate. So you probably were using either F56R or F59R.

F59R/L and F60 share a common gatehold room.

yuuka_miya is right. The L/R is not reflected on the official iChangi app. In the gatehold rooms, they don't use L/R anyways. They use A/B:

Photo from Changi Connection Magazine (March 2012: Issue 15)
                          Going back through my pics on my iPhone, indeed you are right! I departed gate F59R. I remember there was a Scoot flight departing on the left side while my flight was departing on the right.

I saw it on the Changi app, not sure if it's changed now. However I don't recall it being reflected on the Changi Airport departure board.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                            Seems to be a common occurrence now. Tonight's SQ 22 is at C20 again (second time for me) and the check in agent told me this seems to happen a lot for the ULH flights. C1 was SQ as well bound for Osaka.
                            Yesterday's SQ 22 also left from C20.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              Yesterday's SQ 22 also left from C20.
                              Perhaps SQ decided to inconvenience the least number of passengers by putting the low density ULR aircraft at the further gate. Also, maybe they thought that passengers wouldn’t mind stretching their legs a bit before being canned into a carbon fiber tube for 18 hours?

Comment

As I understand it, non-stop flights to the United States have selective extra screening at the gates; which is why they only use single-gates (most commonly A15 and B8/B9/B10), as opposed to common gatehold rooms.

But given that gates B9 and B10 are currently closed for works, we'd be seeing more of these flights (especially SQ38/SQ22) spilling into C1/C20 than they already do.

Comment

Working...
                                X