Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi sees increase in flights despite downturn

Driven by the LCC's on the Malaysian routes though:

SINGAPORE: More flights are operating out of Singapore's Changi Airport despite the global economic downturn, according to figures for the Northern Winter 2008 season between October 26 and March 28 next year.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said from November 1, Changi has seen a record number of weekly scheduled flights of 4,466. That is an increase of 3.5 per cent, or 152 weekly flights, compared to levels recorded at the start of the year.

From December 1, the number of weekly scheduled flights are expected to go up by 8.9 per cent over January's figure.

CAAS attributes the strong numbers to the freeing up of air services between Singapore and Malaysia.

Singapore and Malaysia recently agreed to allow low-cost airlines to operate between Singapore and three cities in East Malaysia - namely Kuching, Kota Kinabalu and Miri - starting November 1.

AirAsia has launched daily services from Kuching and Kota Kinabalu to Singapore, and Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia will follow suit with a new daily service to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu respectively over the next few weeks.

It added that the full liberalisation of the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route, which takes effect on December 1, will further boost the number of weekly flights on the sector.

AirAsia, Jetstar Asia, Silk Air and Tiger Airways are adding a total of 180 new weekly flights on the sector.

CAAS said that although softening of travel demand has caused some airlines to rationalise their network at Changi Airport, the reduction in flights has been more than offset by the increase in new flights on intra-Asian sectors such as Bangkok, Phuket and Hong Kong.

The Middle Eastern sectors, such as Riyadh and Dubai, are also doing well.

Over the next two months, Changi Airport will welcome more new flights. Notably, Jetstar Airways will launch their new daily service from Perth in December.

While such increases in weekly flights is good news for Singapore's aviation industry, Mr Lim Kim Choon, director-general and chief executive officer, Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), remains cautious about the outlook for 2009.

He said: "The strong growth in weekly scheduled flights this year demonstrates Changi Airport's continued relevance as a major global aviation hub. However, 2009 will be a very challenging year for the aviation industry as the full impact of the global economic downturn is expected to be felt more acutely.

"CAAS recognises the tough operating environment of our airline partners and is committed to help our airlines ride out the downturn, within our means." -

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...389618/1/.html

interestingly enough, there's an article in today's ST that says that tourists arrivals have been falling since Aug 08 and even Sept was the worst fall even given the fact that F1 race was held - and from the report and tour agencies arrivals have been falling and expected to for the rest of this year till next year at least.

Comment

The trend of increased flight frequencies and decreased number of passengers carried seems to be replicated in HK. HKIA just announced a 1.4% drop in passengers in the month of October, but there was a 1% increase in flight frequencies. Cargo volume, however, plummeted 9.2%.

Source : http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_303334.html
      Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        and from the report and tour agencies arrivals have been falling and expected to for the rest of this year till next year at least.
        This doesn't surprise me as rates at many Hotels in Singapore have dropped in the last month or so, some by a fair whack.

I have also had a Hotel who increased this years rates to me for next year, not only changing their mind and offering to hold this years rate, but then offering a reduction for next year when I told them I was no longer interested.

As the saying goes ; be careful how you treat people on your way up, as you never know if you may need them again on your way back down.

Certain airlines would have done well to remember this as well...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          This doesn't surprise me as rates at many Hotels in Singapore have dropped in the last month or so, some by a fair whack.

I have also had a Hotel who increased this years rates to me for next year, not only changing their mind and offering to hold this years rate, but then offering a reduction for next year when I told them I was no longer interested.
          Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if I will see the same at the hotel with which I have such a relationship.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          As the saying goes ; be careful how you treat people on your way up, as you never know if you may need them again on your way back down.

Certain airlines would have done well to remember this as well...
          Yes, this maxim does make me think of a certain airline we love maybe changing its approach to its loyal customers and trying to woo back those it pushed away. FWIW, Delta retrenched on a couple of "enhancements" that were particularly poorly received by elite frequent flyers. The new "Coach Choice" program, which charges for select preferred Y seats, has just been eliminated for Medallion members following a storm of protests. Delta even sent an email saying, basically, "We heard you. We're sorry. Bad idea. Rules changed."

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
            Delta even sent an email saying, basically, "We heard you. We're sorry. Bad idea. Rules changed."
            That's very big and very good of them. Fair play to them!.

However, I would not expect anything similar from anyone atop the ivory tower at airline house. They are all too busy walking on water....

Comment

Working...
            X