Recommendation for good fusion restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for good fusion restaurant

I know I know there is the thread about the good restaurant. But I could not find it yet in the existing list. So better start the question.

For a special someone who will stop over in Singapore, I would like to have dinner in a good/excellent/decent fusion restaurant. Any suggestion? I know Mezza9. But is there any other place?

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=eating

Comment

We need an explanation why that fusion place is recommended. It's difficult to just know the name...
      Last edited by CGK; 27 January 2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Depends on what styles of fusion you're after really. Each fusion restaurant has very different interpretations of the word fusion.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
          I know I know there is the thread about the good restaurant. But I could not find it yet in the existing list. So better start the question.

For a special someone who will stop over in Singapore, I would like to have dinner in a good/excellent/decent fusion restaurant. Any suggestion? I know Mezza9. But is there any other place?
          What about the old Compass Rose at the Swissotel Stamford top floor? I forget what it's called now.

Comment

We need an explanation why that fusion place is recommended. It's difficult to just know the name...
            The atmosphere makes the food taste better.
            http://www.halia.com.sg

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Depends on what styles of fusion you're after really. Each fusion restaurant has very different interpretations of the word fusion.
            I didn't know there were different styles of Fusion cuisine. Isn't the whole point to have different interpretations anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
              The atmosphere makes the food taste better.
              http://www.halia.com.sg
              Thank you.
              This will help a friend to decide about the restaurant. If you don't mind, would you add the site address in that Singapore eating list, please.. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                I didn't know there were different styles of Fusion cuisine. Isn't the whole point to have different interpretations anyway?
                Depends on what kinds of cuisines are 'fused' together I guess.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thank you.
                  This will help a friend to decide about the restaurant. If you don't mind, would you add the site address in that Singapore eating list, please.. Thanks!
                  I've been to Halia and frankly I think the garden setting is much nicer than the food. My fav spot is Coriander Leaf in Clarke Quay. Check out www.corianderleaf.com (there is a link to the menu so you can preview the food first). I've eaten here several times and have rarely been disappointed.

Comment

The Majestic Restaurant at the New Majestic Hotel on Bukit Pasoh Road in Chinatown has excellent Chinese-Western fusion cuisine in a very pleasant, if cozy, modern dining room. The service was rather disorganized, like you'd find in a big Chinatown restaurant in an American city (no assigned waiter, all staff coming and going, no one really looking after you), but the food was wonderful, and not terribly expensive at that. One fantastic dish was an appetizer of a flash-fried wasabi-encrusted prawn (on one side of the plate) and (on the other) Peking duck over seared foie gras. Mr. Megatop and I each had a serving. Half-way through the meal, while enjoying other very good dishes, I couldn't resist the urge to order another appetizer for myself-- it was THAT good.

The setting is a good place from which to set off on an evening stroll, if you're so inclined.

Comment

From this post: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...45&postcount=8

Buko Nero
                      Ember - Chef has returned from his stint at Gordon Ramsey
                      Iggy's - Rated by Restaurant magazine as the 98th best in the world, #1 in South East Asia.
                      Last edited by 9V-JKL; 6 February 2007, 02:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        From this post: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...45&postcount=8

Buko Nero
                        Ember - Chef has returned from his stint at Gordon Ramsey
                        Iggy's - Rated by Restaurant magazine as the 98th best in the world, #1 is South East Asia.

All excellent suggestions. However it's near impossible to get a table at Buko Nero unless you book 3-4 weeks in advance. The Italian chef there, Oscar Pasinato, does brilliant Italian fusion dishes. The restaurant is tiny and that's why it gets frequently booked up. Unlike many other places where the chef only supervises the cooking and prefers to hobnob with the guests, Oscar does all the cooking himself here. I dont know how chefs like Gordon Ramsey and Todd English with their half a dozen restaurants scattered around the world maintain the quality of food. If I am paying top dollar for my meal, I want to make sure the food is cooked by the main chef and not by some flunkey!

Comment

Forget "Compass Rose" - pay for the view but the food when I went was so so (including fish which wasn't completely cooked and it was the food festival week).

Coriander Leaf is quite good and not expensive. Mezza9 is quite good too, especially for Sunday brunch.

For good (non fusion) restaurants, try Graze or Flutes at the Fort for something different (New Australian). A really good site is Chubby Hubby - unfortunately it is down for maintenance at the moment but has some good restaurant ideas. Iggy's is rated very well and one day I will make it there...

Comment

Working...
                          X