SQ to Manila: Comparing the Old to the New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final reflections...

SQ operates different aircraft types (Currently 787-10 and 777-300) to and from Manila. The overall experience, while fairly consistent in terms of cabin service and catering, is quite different across these 2 different aircraft types as far as hard product and seating is concerned. The 777-300's are equipped with 2-2-2 regional J, rather than the newest 1-2-1 J on the 787-10, and in the Y cabin the 773's are likely to have the older 2006 Y seat, with an older generation IFE screen.

If you want to experience SQ Y at its best, and if the latest IFE is important to you, pick the flights operated by newer planes such as the 787-10. That said, the gap in Y isn't huge: while the 773 is not new, the 2006 Y seat is very comfortable, and the larger 777 Y cabin feels marginally more open and spacious as well.

As for flying J, regional 2-2-2 business class on the 777-300 is fine for a sector of this length (3+ hours), but SQ's 787-10 J is really excellent, and if it is the SQ J experience you are after, then stick to the 787-10 flights (A TR on SQ's 787-10 J to BKK can be found here).

As for hotels, I would highly recommend the Grand Hyatt Manila if you plan to spend most of your time in BGC. If your meetings are in Makati, then it is probably best to stay there, as traffic jams in Manila are common. On the other hand, if you do stay at the Grand Hyatt or in BGC, you will have many F&B and entertainment options -- this is a very pleasant part of Manila to stay in.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by yflyer; 28 October 2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Another great trip report.

I will be doing the MNL-SIN route on Saturday but I will be on the A350-900.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
        Another great trip report.

I will be doing the MNL-SIN route on Saturday but I will be on the A350-900.
        Thanks, Lobster! Enjoy your visit to Singapore!

Comment

Working...
        X