• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ179 View Post
    Tampines Round Market & Food Centre @ Block 137, Tampines St. 11
    IMO the BEST hawker center in Singapore
    Getting there:
    Driving: PIE exit 4B Simei Ave (both directions)
    or
    Bus #34 from Changi Airport, alight at Blk 101, Tampines Ave 2 (less than 5 min walk from here). To get back to Changi Airport, take #34 again, cross the road, from Block 141, Tampines Ave. 2
    Why?? What's good there???

AFAIK, the fish steamboat is delicous... otherwise, I don't find anthing that is very good and I live about 5 minutes drive away....

I wonder how come no one mention;

Old Airport Road Hawker Centre.... good lamb soup.... plus many others, ... one particular wanton noodle store, you will have to press for a queue ticket and wait for your number to appear on flash board..... and they are popular.
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      Old Airport Road Hawker Centre.... good lamb soup.... plus many others, ... one particular wanton noodle store, you will have to press for a queue ticket and wait for your number to appear on flash board..... and they are popular.
      The kambing soup at the market along Upp Boon Keng Road is quite good as well.

Surprised that no one has yet to talk about the Hill Street Tai Wah Pork Noodles (Crawford Place - Across the canal from SIR building)

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
        Eeek ..I am heading to makansutra place on 30th... You mean the whole place is over rated? Besides that, any good stalls which would you recommend? I can eat almost anything (have cast iron stomach).....
        The Assam Fish head curry at Ampang (Near Nee Soon Camp /Mandai Road) is pretty good as well. There's an up market prata place there too. Nice and fluffy.

Give the Ampang Yong Tau Foo a miss. Not as good as its heyday.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
          I remember having fun eating at the food court (Food Republic) in the new mall a bit far away from Orchard. It was great night and great food.
          Food Republic @ Vivo City.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Food Republic @ Vivo City.
            Oh yes... that's the one. I do think that the one in Vivo City is much more interesting than the one at Wisma Atria, which is conveniently located of course.
            Again, from my personal point of view or personal preference, I do appreciate all the suggestions where to go for the best. But at the end, our own taste buds will be the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
              Try the fishball noodles too. Best in Singapore!
              We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Hawker Centres are aplenty if you can just go to any large housing estate areas. There are no 'specific' areas that you must try as hawkers are all over the island.

I like going to the airconditioned places like the food courts which all have 'hawker' fares in cool comfort.

Go for 'late night' fare at Zee Char places in Geylang.

Comment

I think Lau Pa Sat and Newton are overrated. They're touristy but not not that good.

Right now I cant think which is my favorite but there are lots of good ones all over. Everywhere here is so well connected by bus and train you could do some hopping around if you have the time when you come down.

Actually, how about doing a group meet up? Like we could catch up for some food court-hopping someday. Sounds pretty cool [=

Comment

I love the Hawker Centre's in Singapore. I tend to just go to whatever one is convenient to where I am staying or going, which means Newton (which is ok) if at Sheraton or Orchard Road, Gluttons Bay (that's the one at Esplanade, Keith) if at Conrad or one of the Marina Hotels and also sometimes Lau Pa Sat if I am down near the City / Boat Quay.

I keep promising myself to go and explore some further afield but never get around to it. Mind you, as a 'seafood hater' I only ever eat Satay, Mee Goreng or Roti Prata so I don't need anything too exotic.

Comment

As a side note, I just watched a youtube video comparing the "famous" versus "ordinary" for three popular Singapore food dishes. (Xiaxue's guide to hawker food.)

The chicken rice "famous" variety won over the ordinary one and was created at the Chatterbox located at the Mandarin (Oriental) hotel I think.

She also compared the Hokkien Mee; the "famous" version won from the Goreng Delights outlet in Singapore.

The other dish was Nasi Lemak.

BTW, what is the easiest or fastest way to get from my hotel (Conrad) in the Marina area to Changi Village?
                      Last edited by LampStack; 28 December 2008, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
                        BTW, what is the easiest or fastest way to get from my hotel (Conrad) in the Marina area to Changi Village?
                        Taxi. You'll be there in 15-20 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
                          The chicken rice "famous" variety won over the ordinary one and was created at the Chatterbox located at the Mandarin (Oriental) hotel I think.
                          Before year 2000, I thought the best chicken rice indeed at Chatterbox across from Takashimaya Nge Ann City. But, it got too expensive, and the service was not satisfactory. (Well, to tell you the truth, perhaps the waiters did not like Indonesian. )
                          Since then, I'd rather just any chicken rice anywhere in any food court, or hawker center.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            Taxi. You'll be there in 15-20 mins.
                            Thanks for the help!

About how much would I expect to pay for this trip, just out of curiosity?

I am trying to get a sense of what my expenses will be in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              Since then, I'd rather just any chicken rice anywhere in any food court, or hawker center.
                              phaleesy and I like the chicken rice at Prima in T3 - not because it's particularly good but it's the quickest to run to after arriving from food exile in London.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                phaleesy and I like the chicken rice at Prima in T3 - not because it's particularly good but it's the quickest to run to after arriving from food exile in London.
                                One at departure level (secure area), and one at the basement. Different prices, but nevertheless it gives a chance for a quick fix when longing traditional foods!

Comment

Working...
                                X