Reviews of Starwood hotels - London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    I'd needed a one night stay in Central London and was simply looking for the cheapest SPG property - and incidentally this property seemed to be the cheapest when I looked, which was a good thing as apart from the Sheraton Belgravia the other SPGs in London seem to attract very mixed reviews.

At check in I was given a complimentary glass of champers. I was upgraded to the Butler Floor when I checked in, although this took a bit of gentle nudging. Apparently there were very few suites at this property and people actually do pay for suites here - the rest of the rooms are identical in shape and size. Took the points again as my amenity. My luggage took a while to arrive in my room and when it did - it was someone else's suitcase! The porter was most apologetic and I was reunited with my bag soon after.

I quite like the decor - it was a good blend of traditional and clean line modern. My room was a bit curved due to the circular shape of the building. The bed was nice, and there were Molton Brown amenities in the bathroom.

I quite enjoyed my short stay, but will only return if the price is right since this property can get pretty expensive and nice as it is - I don't think it's worth that much more than what I paid.
    You must be such a lucky person. For years, I have never seen Sheraton Park Tower has the lowest among other SPG properties in the center of London (excluding Laneborough).
    Also, I have never gotten any champagne upon arrival as SPG Platinum. My free breakfast usually is from the weekend or holiday rate which indlusive of breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
      You must be such a lucky person. For years, I have never seen Sheraton Park Tower has the lowest among other SPG properties in the center of London (excluding Laneborough).
      Yes I was rather surprised. I was going to book the Belgravia otherwise per recommendations.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        Also, I have never gotten any champagne upon arrival as SPG Platinum. My free breakfast usually is from the weekend or holiday rate which indlusive of breakfast.
        My experiences have been the same as yours -- in the past four years of booking SPG properties in LON (several trips/year), I've never seen the Park Tower price lower than any of the other LON-area Starwood properties (with the obvious exception of the Lanesborough, as you mentioned). Congrats to Keith_MEL on getting so lucky with his find.

Comment

In protest at the abysmal service and lack of recognition of SPG benes at the Sheraton Park Tower, I have decided to switch my choice of SPG in London. The rooms are actually rather nice and modern but there's only so much crap, cold and haughty service one can take! (Will get around to putting up reports of recent stays if time permits)

I quite liked the Sheraton Belgravia which looked after me v well but it's a fair hike to/from the tube and I tend to get distracted by too many shops on the way back to the hotel.

So it's a toss up between the Le Meridien and Sheraton Park Lane, both on Picadilly. It seems they're both much of a muchness as far as reviews and decor go. I want to be close to shopping in Knightsbridge and Bond St, yet within good distance to clubs and bars in Soho, Fitzrovia and all that so that it's not too dear a cab ride home at night.

Given the above, would it be fair to say that the Park Lane is in a better location for that? It is a bit hard to determine this from the maps provided - for instance, is the hotel really situated right next to Green Park tube, and what's the approximate actual walking distance to attractions like Harvey Nics' and the like? And how much should I be expecting to pay for a cab ride back from Soho and surrounds?

Or perhaps I should stay outside SPG entirely given I've already got enough stays for PLT requal. The Sanderson looks most interesting and has comparable rates.

TIA for any insight.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 August 2009, 11:36 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've stayed in the Park Lane once and didn't like it - it seems old and rundown. The location - for me - is further away from where I want to be (Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square rather than Knightsbridge).

I've stayed in LM a handful of times (most recently a few weeks ago when I missed the last Tube!) and I do like its prime location. The rooms are small but I still prefer them over the Park Lane. The receptionist said that occupancy is high and unaffected by current economic conditions so upgrades may be difficult. When I checked-in (a Saturday night) - I apparently took the final room!

Surely you should choose your hotel based on walking distance to where you want to be at night rather than during the day! If so, the proximity of Harvey Nicks doesn't really matter.

Comment

Thanks jhm, some sage advice there. Mmm... LM (read: saving up Starpoints for W Maldives ) vs Sanderson (no Starpoints but looks a fun place!).

Comment

Given the above, would it be fair to say that the Park Lane is in a better location for that? It is a bit hard to determine this from the maps provided - for instance, is the hotel really situated right next to Green Park tube, and what's the approximate actual walking distance to attractions like Harvey Nics' and the like?
                No, the hotel is down the road from Green Park tube - you can see the Sheraton and the tube here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...earchp=ids.srf

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  No, the hotel is down the road from Green Park tube - you can see the Sheraton and the tube here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...earchp=ids.srf
                  Seems like it's nicely in between both Green Park and Hyde Park tubes. 5 mins' walk tops to either station I'd say?

Comment

Seems like it's nicely in between both Green Park and Hyde Park tubes. 5 mins' walk tops to either station I'd say?
                    Tops! However, Hyde Park Corner tube station is in a nest of subways which I think (but I'm not sure) you have to navigate to get from Piccadilly to Knightsbridge.

SQFAN's writeup at the top of this thread about the Park Lane more or less reinforces what I think about the Park Lane. The water pressure in the shower in the room I had was extremely powerful - I have memories of trying to hold the shower head down with one hand and trying to wash with the other hand; and a very noisy air conditioner in the dark and poky room. Never again!

In the past, I've been upgraded as a PLT to a club room at the LM - with lounge:

http://www.lemeridienpiccadilly.co.u...language=en_US

which I don't think the Park Lane has.

Comment

I'm thinking location at night might be a bit of a moot point since I might end up on the other side of town at Hoxton checking out a couple of bands.

On reading the reviews however, seems like the LM is a better hotel in itself. SQFAN and yourself, as well as posts on TOF have painted a rather scary picture of the Park Lane.

I might go make a flex booking at the LM and monitor rates at the Sanderson (currently v attractive promo at GBP180!) in the meantime whilst I ponder....

Comment

LM without a doubt!.

Neither property is far from Soho's Bars but LM is definately better located for the shorter stumble home. Soho is immediately behind it.

I would echo jhm's comments and preference of LM over the Park Lane, which I also found run down and not very appealing.

Comment

I have booked the LM on a flex rate, but I'll still be peeping at the Sanderson from time to time and trying not to be tempted.

Comment

Or perhaps I should stay outside SPG entirely given I've already got enough stays for PLT requal. The Sanderson looks most interesting and has comparable rates.

TIA for any insight.
                            What about the Andaz (not that I know London at all)? Didn't DFP or MAN Flyer post some pics of it? I remember the thread, but couldn't find it via the Google Search.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              What about the Andaz (not that I know London at all)? Didn't DFP or MAN Flyer post some pics of it? I remember the thread, but couldn't find it via the Google Search.
                              I've checked out the champagne bar there - the place seems rather plain. And the location isn't ideal.

edit: here's the thread: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=36

It looks like a watered down Park Hyatt to me. Sanderson looks a lot funkier and is located in Soho way. VC10 Boy over at another board also recommended the new Boundary Hotel which looks VERY cool, unfortunately it's rather out of the way for shopping in the day though might be fantastic for the bar scene come nightfall. No points for the Sanderson or Boundary of course.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 August 2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Not going for the Metropolitan, KeithMEL? Como Shambala amenities await...

Comment

Working...
                                X