Travel Insurance - What's Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Insurance - What's Best?

Firstly - yes, I have searched with the Google tags etc..

But I suppose this is a more specific issue, since I'm more curious about what is not just conveniently accessible to me, living in Singapore, but whether there would be *better* travel insurance even if it's located in another country?

Lately, I've been thinking quite a bit about getting a more comprehensive travel insurance than the one provided for free by Citibank's credit card. A few factors concern me:

-how would travel insurance cover tickets that are redemption bookings: i.e. if you didn't 'pay' for a regular ticket but redeemed it, would you be able to claim for any incidents/incidentals abroad?
    -if there is any 'excess' one would have to cover on top of basic/regular/comprehensive travel insurance?
    -is it possible to sign up with travel insurance companies based abroad?

I'm particularly interested in what the other SIN-based SQTalkers can recommend, and I wouldn't mind even signing up for one by tomorrow if the right opportunity presented itself.

So far I've looked at Amex Singapore (comprehensive costs $342) and DBS (a whole lot cheaper)... Ideally I'd also like to sign up as a couple (might be cheaper), but the significant other is based in BKK...

Thank you all in advance!

Currently using the insurance from AMEX singapore and I guess it's ok. Have yet to make a claim though so can't say much a out their customer service.
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I liked AIG. Processing is fast and no questions asked. Experience with Royal Sun Alliance and was told that there are a lot things you can't claim from the policy. Can give you a good contact to check as far as your comments go.

Comment

When I was living in Singapore (upto 2006), I used AIG Assist and they paid out quickly for delayed baggage, which is all I've encountered thankfully. Covered one-way tickets and award trips since their definition of a "trip" just needed proof of tickets for a roundtrip within 90 or 120 days (can't remember which). Was SGD 390 for the worldwide annual IIRC.

I have a spreadsheet comparing various travel insurance options in Singapore for accident, medical and travel inconvenience benefits. Its very dated though, since 2006 was probably the last time I updated it. Pm me your email if you want a copy.

Citibank used to have good travel insurance on their credit cards - haven't used it myself, but my sister once claimed around SGD 1000 for clothes and a new suitcase when her baggage was delayed more than 48 hours. She did say they were very picky and denied a couple of toiletries and a towel in her claim. I don't think it would cover award flights though.

Comment

I'm on Tenet's Annual Family Plan, usually. Otherwise, AIG's Travel Assist.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's suggestions -

Pinkfloyd - Does it cover redemption bookings?

LionCity - Thanks! I would consider AIG strongly at this moment if it covers redemption bookings/upgrades. Does it cover redemption bookings?

Savage25, great spreadsheet, will have to do some digging around (but at least now I know what to ask for! It's so comprehensive!)

sabian - haven't heard of that one, care to elaborate? Does it cover redemption bookings?

Comment

Not sure if they cover redemption flight cancellations but you can give them them a ring.

http://www.tenetinsurance.com/personal/TravelJoy.asp
              http://www.tenetinsurance.com/contact/index.asp

I called them once earlier to check on hazardous sports coverage but they do not cover tandem skydiving so I was with AIG during my NZ trip but now I am back with them.

For what it's worth, AIG & Tenet offer 20% off their annual plans during their NATAS signups. I have been signing up every March NATAS fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

LionCity - Thanks! I would consider AIG strongly at this moment if it covers redemption bookings/upgrades. Does it cover redemption bookings?

Savage25, great spreadsheet, will have to do some digging around (but at least now I know what to ask for! It's so comprehensive!)

sabian - haven't heard of that one, care to elaborate? Does it cover redemption bookings?
                Yes, AIG covers redemption booking. My wife made a successful claim on redemption booking before.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Not too sure if the AMEX insurance covers redemption bookings (I really should check into it and get more info on what I have bought!!) but I guess they do as it is a cover per travel/trip and should not differentiate between paid fares and redemption bookings... Will check and let you know.
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Bit of an old thread but did you get any more information on any companies as am looking for the same now, off to China and a few places soon so would like some decent cover for myself and the better half.

ta

Comment

I didn't proceed with the Travel Insurance and am now wishing I had. Had very bad luck yesterday whilst in Wellington with my rented Europcar Holden Barina. Wind blew VERY strongly as I was opening (still had hand on the door). Door swung outwards, past the 'maximum' outswing, and ended up about 110 degrees in an arc instead of 80 degrees (normal maximum). Front right guard damaged and... I didn't purchase Europcar insurance. Now I've got to find out if my company's AIA travel policy covers this, otherwise I'm $2800 out of pocket. Not even sure if this kind of incident can be claimed under Travel Insurance as it's Force Majeur, surely!

I had to write in the section "Who caused this incident?"

Answer: The wind.

I gave up hope as soon as I wrote it... sigh...

Comment

ouch that's not good.

Comment

oh dear. i've always read abt 'act of god', applies in this case?

Comment

Damn, Kyo+! Hope you get that sorted in your favor.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                              oh dear. i've always read abt 'act of god', applies in this case?
                              What kind of car/travel insurance protects against Act of God?

The guy behind the counter said the insurance companies wouldn't pay in that kind of eventuality also to Europcar... since my knowledge of insurance is pathetic, I wasn't in any position to ask the right questions..

Comment

Working...
                              X