Proposed Boeing 797 in SQ Fleet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Boeing 797 in SQ Fleet?

In the net few years, the A333s would probably have left the fleet and by then SQ's smallest regional plane would be the 301-seat A359.

With nothing smaller than that, could SQ have the proposed 797 in the fleet? Does a 220-270 seat plane fit in SQ's fleet plan?

What do you think?

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    In the net few years, the A333s would probably have left the fleet and by then SQ's smallest regional plane would be the 301-seat A359.

With nothing smaller than that, could SQ have the proposed 797 in the fleet? Does a 220-270 seat plane fit in SQ's fleet plan?

What do you think?
    The only recent history of SQ operating a plane smaller than an A330 is the A310, the last of which left the fleet in 2005 (and I'll admit I've never flown on an A310), creating a period of 4 years before any of the A330s arrived, in which their smallest aircraft was a 777, correct me if I'm wrong. Unless SQ wanted to blur the line between MI and SQ a bit more, I would think the versatility of having a larger fleet of A350s that could fly efficiently during low season might outweigh the problem of what to do with smaller planes during high season when extra landing slots can't be procured.

Looking at their current 77W configuration though, it currently sits at 264, so perhaps this might be a future need for when the 777 is replaced by the 777X and a 777X is too big for a route. This proposal of the 797 seems to me to be smaller than an A333 and more suited to current 767 operators or maybe A332 operators.

I don't see it being an SQ plane so much, given SQ operates MI. For airlines like UA, QF, BA, LH, that operate both domestically and internationally, I see it as an easier part of the whole mix of operations. This size of plane almost occupies the space on the border between SQ and MI which brings me back to how it questions which of the two should operate it- MI on its 6-8 hour routes or SQ on its 2-3 hour routes? Just my thoughts.

Comment

They are loads of regional aircraft on order. I can't see them needing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        The only recent history of SQ operating a plane smaller than an A330 is the A310, the last of which left the fleet in 2005 (and I'll admit I've never flown on an A310), creating a period of 4 years before any of the A330s arrived, in which their smallest aircraft was a 777, correct me if I'm wrong. Unless SQ wanted to blur the line between MI and SQ a bit more, I would think the versatility of having a larger fleet of A350s that could fly efficiently during low season might outweigh the problem of what to do with smaller planes during high season when extra landing slots can't be procured.
        You're correct on those points above @SQ228 - in SQ's recent history (dated from mid-late '80 to the early-mid 2000's), and prior to the arrival of the A333, SQ's smallest plane was the A310. Total seat count was around 189 IIRC - 12F34J/C143Y. When the last of the A310s left the fleet, and prior to the arrival of the A333, their smallest aircraft was indeed the B777. There was quite a bit of talk and discussion on whether SQ was looking for an A310 replacement and what aircraft would that be, but SQ decided to "abuse" the B777 at the time in favour of acquiring an A310 replacement. In fact, I think SQ originally wasn't even looking at the A333s - it was offered to SQ as part of the deal from Airbus over the A380 delays, an offer too good to refuse, so SQ took them. They are a rather late operator of the A333, given the airlines around the region - MH, TG, GA, PR and even CX had been operating them for a while.

So, I guess the question has popped up yet again - as to whether SQ would go for a replacement for the A333, or "wait and see" - my personal feeling is that they'll wait and see, like what they did the last time...

Comment

Am not sure but SIA may have used 4 of its 757s then when the A310s was around?
          Depends on whether the new B797 would be a sinhle-aisle plane or a twin aisle but will be unlikely that mainline SIA will be purchasing the 797 and using it and if it does, it will likely for Silkair or even Scoot.

Comment

Working...
          X