X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heathrow under strike threat

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/0...ueOL&wom=false

Geez...........

If I was a Dalek, I would exterminate unions like these.

The bbc article says that they're looking to target the August Bank Holiday. I'm flying out from LHR that day. Fortunately MAN is not affected.

Comment

Rats.. I was planning to come through to London on 29th or 30th Aug. Now I might have to go directly to AMS instead.

Comment

You have to think London/LHR/BA are just cursed. This is were MAN not being owned by BAA being a bonus, but we are due to fly BA from LHR next month ourselves.

Around 70% voted for strike action, but less than half of them voted. Hell of a mandate. They need to sort that out.....

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Around 70% voted for strike action, but less than half of them voted.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Less than half of those eligible to vote cast a vote; of the votes cast, 70% were in favor of a strike.

This threat explains why I never choose BA for summer travels. Their Augusts seem particularly cursed. (Of course, this year's incarnation of the curse would hit non-BA airlines as well.)
            Last edited by jjpb3; 13 August 2010, 06:21 PM.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

You do wonder if the unions are deliberately trying to break BA. OK, as a Brit I did vote with my feet many years ago by choosing SQ over BA for my many flights to Asia - if I was particularly patriotic re flying, I would have been a Silver or even Gold card holder with BA for many years, rather than being 5 years consecutive PPS qualified and a silver card holder with EK.

That said, what the unions are doing to BA is absolutely atrocious and has the net effect that people here are just going out of their way to avoid flying them for fear that their holidays / weekends away etc will be cancelled etc - very sad really

Comment

Originally posted by LottieM View Post
                That said, what the unions are doing to BA is absolutely atrocious and has the net effect that people here are just going out of their way to avoid flying them for fear that their holidays / weekends away etc will be cancelled etc - very sad really
                It's one thing to avoid BA. It's quite another to avoid BAA :o

I've got a GVA-LHR on the 3rd of September on BA. I wonder if they'll just land in some non-baa airport and bus us into central london if this strike takes place

Comment

Well I think this could be the last time I bother going to the UK. Everytime I go near the place I end up being caught up in strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    jjpb3 has got it, but I should have been clearer. Less than half of the union members even voted, and of those only 70% voted to strike. So well under half of them voted to strike, but the motion is passed and they are able to cause misery and chaos for thousands, if it goes ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      It's one thing to avoid BA. It's quite another to avoid BAA :o

I've got a GVA-LHR on the 3rd of September on BA. I wonder if they'll just land in some non-baa airport and bus us into central london if this strike takes place
                      So you'd be battling with BAA after conquering Everest?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        So you'd be battling with BAA after conquering Everest?
                        Good heavens... sounds like an awfully adventurous trip!

Comment

I hope we'll get a TR ? Looking forward to the pics of mountains, Yetis and TGs!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            I hope we'll get a TR ? Looking forward to the pics of mountains, Yetis and TGs!
                            Perhaps. I hope the camera and more appropriately the tri-opod0 will be steady enough to handle the abuse that could possibly be on the cards.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10449594

Comment

Working...
                              X