Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend in NYC: SIN-JFK on 744; EWR-SIN on A345

Introduction

I had a Thu 4pm appointment in New York. Originally I planned to do SIN-EWR-SIN on the A345.

However, never having flown in F on the 744 ( and after reading stargold's brilliant TR ), I decided to try it before the 744 is confined to the history books.

Scheduling was better too. On the 744, I had a full days work in SIN before boarding the plane at midnight.

Normally I hate red eyes, but was willing to give SQ F on 744 a chance!!

Enough trip reports have been written about flying F on the 744 so I will just post my impressions as a newbie to F class travel.

I plan to write more about my trip back on the A345.

I boarded the plane first so that I could take a few snaps before the rest of the PAXs arrived.
    The crew were very nice to offer to take pictures of me and with me.
    F was full on both legs. But J and Y were full to FRA, less full to JFK.

Once I'd taken my pics, I settled into 4F for the 21 hour trip. My life will never be the same again!
    Love the seat, to sit, lounge and sleep ( fully lie flat ) The crew said that my sentiments are shared by many PAXs.
    A minor complaint is that my elbow kept pressing on the seat controls on the arm rest.

My first time viewing the nose from the inside of the cabin
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Storage. Very useful amounts of it. My 22" roller bag fits in the overhead compartment ( though they look small compared to those found on 777/A345 ).
      My waist pouch fits nicely into the side pocket by the window. The pockets are wide and deep enough.
      Behind the TV screen, a shelf for my pyjamas and newspapers/magazines.

The battery pack for my headphones can be put conveniently on the shelf by the window.
      I find standard issue SQ headsets to be too tight and warm when on for long flights.
      The downside of my Sennheisers is that it doesn't entirely block out the noise

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

In my experience, this is the best designed table tray I have used. It is large. Feels very solid.
        I love the smooth forward and backward sliding action.
        I can leave my chair to go to the loo without the usual acrobatics, even when the tray is being used.
        Don't like trays that store in the arm rest

As mentioned by stargold, the IFE has been overshadowed by the IFE on newer aircraft. It was OK but the limitations were evident
        when I tried to watch Slumdog Millionaire.
        I couldn't read the subtitles. So I watched Madagascar2 instead

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

When I saw the extensive menu, I knew I was in trouble.
          I could not work my way down the menu without feeling uncomfortable.
          I decided to only eat the main courses of each meal

Supper

Roast duck in red curry served with seasonal vegetables and pineapple fried rice

"Raided the pantry"

I was offered something to eat from the light bites menu when I woke up.
          When nothing tickled my fancy, I was offered something from the supper menu

Baked fillet of cod with foie gras in superior light soya sauce, assorted vegetables and steamed rice

Breakfast

Singapore nasi lemak
          Malay style coconut rice with spicy prawns, ikan bilis,
          grilled fish cake, egg omelette and fried chicken

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I spent transit in FRA walking to work off all that food I'd eaten, and in anticipation of more food when I reboard. I did not visit the lounge.

Breakfast pas deux
            Thai style rice porridge with poached chicken
            and chicken meatball, fried garlic and pickled vegetable
            My favourite meal on the entire flight

Light Meal Appetiser
            Marinated lobster with tomato couscous and balsamic reduction dressing

Light Meal Main Course
            Seared beef fillet with port wine sauce, morel mushrooms in spicy cream
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Seen outside Grand Central Station: DL downgauges

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 July 2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

EWR-SIN on A345

This was the flight I was really looking forward to. The last time I flew the A345 was Apr 08. And it was the unmodified one.
                Check in / security was....whoosh! In the lounge in 10 mins. EWR is always a pleasure if your flight departs around 2300h.

Boarded at 2230h. Order of boarding: Families with children, PPS then the rest. Again I rushed in to take pictures of the empty cabin for SQTalk.

The crew were probably thinking kiasu Singaporean

We were actually taxiing to the runway at 2250h, 10 mins ahead of schedule!

The A345 is divided into three by the 2 emergency exits.

Toilets are located by the emergency exits. 2 at the front, 4 over the wing.

Curtains are drawn during the flight outside the toilets to prevent light streaming into the cabin from the toilets when the doors are open/closed. The FAs religiously kept them drawn.

The front cabin has 22 seats. Middle cabin 42 seats. Rear cabin 34 seats.

I sat in 30A, at the front of the rear cabin. Most PAXs choose to sit in front, from habit I guess. But the rear cabin was virtually empty.

I felt like I was in my own private A345!

The route took us across the Atlantic, over England and Denmark. Then I slept. And I mean sleep. When I woke up, we were over the Bay of Bengal. Best quality sleep ever on a plane. Those seats are amazing to sleep on.

If you gotta get to SIN from NYC, this is the best way. Sure, JFK - FRA you have the option of flying F. But I don't like been woken up at FRA. But SIN - NYC, I would fly via FRA because you leave at midnight and get a good night's sleep before landing at FRA.

Disclosure: I own shares is SIA
                Last edited by 9V-SIA; 5 June 2010, 12:19 AM.

Comment

This is the view that greets you when you board the plane.

Note the toilet to the right of the emex door and the curtain rail, which is drawn during the flight to keep the cabin dark.
                  Note also that the loos doors open forward onto the emex corridor, and that without the 2 toilets in the middle
                  you can look through from the middle cabin to the front cabin.
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

View of the front cabin from just behind front toilet
                    Note that the front loo doors open forward onto the emex corridor
                    Also note that without the 2 toilets in the middle, you can look from
                    the middle cabin to the front cabin

The view of the middle cabin from outside the rear toilets.
                    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Standing by the rear emex doors....

..looking at the rear cabin
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Seat 30A, my room for the next 18 hours

The loos are just in front but no light comes through from them. Note the curtain track.

View across the cabin from my seat
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

For those of you who like aisle seats, the 2 seats at the back have access to both aisles

View from the back
                          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 May 2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Nice TR, 9V-SIA, thanks for sharing, waiting for more comments and pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X