SIA takes Busan route from SilkAir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA takes Busan route from SilkAir

From 28th October 2019 SilkAir's four-times weekly SIN-PUS flights will switch to SIA, operated by the A330.

SQ616 SIN2310-PUS0635+1 333 (Days 1356)
    SQ615 PUS0800-SIN1325 333 (Days 2467)

Slight timing difference applies on some days.

Capacity on the route increases by 76% as a result.

Interesting. Is it because of the Max, or are bookings just that good?
    an infrastructure geek

Comment

Silkair have been using the 738s to fly to Busan and hopefully its because of better loads as otherwise to switch from a 738 to a A330 will not make financial sense as then the capacity is almost double and would be a loss making route if its just because of the Max grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
        Interesting. Is it because of the Max, or are bookings just that good?
        Very likely SilkAir needs the extra 737-800 capacity in its own fleet for the winter season on other routes, plus the current flight is often load limited. It only really works at full capacity with the MAX (which was intended, but the route never received it for obvious reasons).

Generally airlines don't increase capacity on a route by upgauging the aircraft type first, they increase the frequency first. That's impossible given SilkAir's fleet situation at the moment.

Comment

am surprised if thats the case then SQ upgauging to a much bigger aircraft with only about 50% load or less and ok to lose substantial money on the route, notto mention wasting a widebody aircraft on it. This surely would affect negatively the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post

Generally airlines don't increase capacity on a route by upgauging the aircraft type first, they increase the frequency first. That's impossible given SilkAir's fleet situation at the moment.
            But I'm thinking, what's stopping them from reducing frequency when upgauging?

Or is it just because Busan is pretty nice at the end of the year, or so I hear? That might help flyguy's concerns.
            an infrastructure geek

Comment

A much better aircraft for the route, and would not be surprised if they are seeing decent demand as it's a route that has been needed for a while. I am sure someone on here used to bore people about it.

What is a shame is they are introducing the extra capacity literally just after Kormarine finishes, which is a shame for the Singaporean based folk and others who go there, including members of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                am surprised if thats the case then SQ upgauging to a much bigger aircraft with only about 50% load or less and ok to lose substantial money on the route, notto mention wasting a widebody aircraft on it. This surely would affect negatively the bottom line.
                The load is likely contributed by the weight restrictions that 737-800 has on the route, which would partially explain the upgauge (in addition to SQ's own word of seeing good demand)

Michael

Comment

SQ today in the papers say they are changing to the A330 because of "healthy demand".

Comment

There's been many calling for a SIN-BUS direct flight so I can believe "healthy demand" from both directions.

It's good timing and I now can look forward to my next booking.

Comment

Should have happened a couple of years ago before the offshore industry went tits-up! Was always a pain trying to get to the two main shipyards just out of PUS. Don’t get me started on the whole ICN-GMP transfer....
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                        Silkair have been using the 738s to fly to Busan and hopefully its because of better loads as otherwise to switch from a 738 to a A330 will not make financial sense as then the capacity is almost double and would be a loss making route if its just because of the Max grounding.
                        Actually using A330 4 times a week is almost same as using 737-800 7 times a week. Since they can’t add the frequency to daily for 737-800, so they change it to bigger plane instead. Guess SQ can sell more groups seats to tour agencies.

Comment

9V-SSA is scheduled to operate the first flight tonight from gate A20.
                          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Working...
                          X