No announcement yet.

What do you think of UA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my brief thoughts having recently flown two longhaul flights on UA F.

Hard product:
    - UA F seat is reasonably comfortable. Very different design from the SQ Skysuite, but acceptable as an old-gen F seat.
    - Maintenance and cleanliness leaves much to be desired. The front console on the 777 I flew in was so loose that I thought it would vibrate and fall off during take-off or landing.
    - In between the seat and window, I was disgusted to find filthy dust covered wires, food and junk. This obviously hadn't been cleaned or vacuumed in years!
    - Likewise in the lavatories, there was caked dirt the the corners and crevises which had not been cleaned in ages.

Food & Service:
    - Food was generally ok. Nothing to write home about, but no bad meals.
    - Champagne and wine also ok, but more to the standard of SQ Business class, not First.
    - Pre-takeoff drinks were served in plastic cups - the same you get in Y. Not a good or classy first impression having just stepped onboard.
    - Also the same Y paper napkins with tacky UA advertising printed on them are handed out with drinks throughout the flight.
    - Service was really quite good. My impression is that UA crew (in F) exude more personal warmth than their average SQ counterparts, but are less well trained. Singaporeans are just not as naturally warm and friendly, but once they have been trained and senior enough to work in SQ F, their service is excellent.

Lounges:
    - Only made it to one UA lounge, the International First lounge at SFO, and was reasonably impressed. Definitely better than the SQ SFO lounge.
    - It was bright and spacious. Not too crowded at the time I flew.
    - Decor was reasonably tasteful, in the St. Regis kind of style.

Personal thoughts:
    - This is not news, but SQ is in a different league.
    - If paying, I would choose SQ New Business Class over UA First.
    - I accept that their planes are old, but UA really need to maintain and clean them better.
    - In general, I think UA crew (the two sets of crew I experienced anyway) do try to offer good service and a good overall product. In isolation, they almost succeed. But for those of us used to SQ, UA just don't cut it when there are alternatives.

Will post some photos and other comments soon.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      - Pre-takeoff drinks were served in plastic cups - the same you get in Y.
      Same on AA. Due to US regulations apparently.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        Not so, that's just a choice by the airlines. On my recent NW flight to NRT (yes, I know it was international), they did serve us in glassware.
        HUGE AL

Comment

i will be flying UA this summer. i hope it'll be alright. what's to expect of premium economy on those p.s. by united flights?
          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            I suspected AA would sneak back into this thread.

Thanks for the summary of your recent experiences, milehighj: balanced view of the airline.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
            X