AMEX Krisflyer Gold/Ascend Card vs ANZ Travel Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMEX Krisflyer Gold/Ascend Card vs ANZ Travel Card

I'm sorry to start a new thread as I know there are already separate threads on these cards, but I would like to compare the benefits of the AMEX Krisflyer Gold/Ascend Card and ANZ Travel Card.

I have been holding an AMEX Krisflyer Gold Card for years as I'm an SIA fanatic, and I try to use it whenever merchants accept it. Then came the ANZ Gold Card, which I applied for six months back as I crave the lounge access and other privileges (I'm not PPS and don't have Krisflyer Elite status). Furthermore I needed a Visa card as half the merchants in Singapore don't accept AMEX.

It wasn't till I upgraded my AMEX from Gold to Ascend last weekend that I realised what a deal I have been getting with my Visa. At 1.4 miles/dollar, it beats the 1 mile/$1.20 spend offered by AMEX.

In light of this, why should I be continuing to use my AMEX? Would it be for the 2x mile accumulation for bookings on singaporeair.com, which I don't do at the moment? What other benefits should I be looking out for? I do not wish to terminate my AMEX as I still perceive it as being different from the other cards.

Are you talking about this ANZ Frequent Flyer Gold Visa which earns with Qantas? Bit confusing...

https://www.anz.com.sg/personal/cred...nt-flyer-gold/

Comment

No Kyo, I meant the ANZ Travel Visa Signature Card:

https://www.anz.com.sg/singapore/en/...s/travel-card/

Comment

even for Singapore airlines online booking, ANZ will give out 2.8 miles / dollar, at least until 31 Mar 2014.

So to answer OP's question, no point transacting using the Amex Ascend.

Only reason to keep it is for the 4 lounge vouchers, and the free hotel voucher.

For me, I paid the Amex Ascend 1st year fee and get the 5 miles/dollar to the maximum cap, and walk away with 40K miles. It's now in my drawer collecting dust.

Comment

Seems I have been a sucker all these years. I had let my loyalty with SIA get into my head and make me crave for an SIA cobrand card. Emotional buying, not unlike booking a showflat unit on launch day!

I wonder why SIA teamed up with AMEX to come up with such a lousy card. Even the AMEX PPS Platinum credit card gives just 1 mile / $1.00 spent! Perhaps the 50% + 50% thing was something worth hooting their horns about.

PS: My apologies Kyo, I just realised there iwas a typo in my first post, hence the confusion!
          Last edited by Exotic; 10 December 2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I agree. The AMEX Krisflyer Ascend is not worth spending on beyond the promotional period. For me, I will always use my Citi PM card in priority.

Comment

So fast...it's been a year since the American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card was launched and the annual was charged today:

26 Apr CARD ANNUAL FEE $240.00
              26 Apr GST $16.80
              $256.80
              Statement Closing balance $256.80

I called up AMEX and the CSO was telling me how good this card was....free hotel stay and other vouchers worth up to S$500, bonus miles for spending met, free miles transfer every month etc etc etc...and I told them how good other banks' cards was like ANZ Travel Card, Citi PM etc.....many places do not welcome AMEX card etc...in the end the CSO say the card was not suitable for my lifestyle and sorry this is not a free card, the best they can do is a 50% fee waiver. So I cancelled the card!!! PLEASE DO THE SAME!!

Comment

I've been keeping my Amex KF Gold card only because they have agreed to waive all their fees.

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
                  So fast...it's been a year since the American Express® Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card was launched and the annual was charged today:

26 Apr CARD ANNUAL FEE $240.00
                  26 Apr GST $16.80
                  $256.80
                  Statement Closing balance $256.80

I called up AMEX and the CSO was telling me how good this card was....free hotel stay and other vouchers worth up to S$500, bonus miles for spending met, free miles transfer every month etc etc etc...and I told them how good other banks' cards was like ANZ Travel Card, Citi PM etc.....many places do not welcome AMEX card etc...in the end the CSO say the card was not suitable for my lifestyle and sorry this is not a free card, the best they can do is a 50% fee waiver. So I cancelled the card!!! PLEASE DO THE SAME!!
                  Why should we do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                    Why should we do the same?
                    You can pay the 50% annual fees if you want. (S$128.40)

Comment

Working...
                    X