Confirmed : Marriott have bought Starwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed : Marriott have bought Starwood

Not seen this on here and I am sure those who are bothered know about it anyway.

As a Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Plat (Life Gold and approaching Life Plat) and a fan of both I can't see how this could be in any way good for me, but we'll see how it pans out. Hyatt could use the extra properties for sure, but would it dilute the excellent programme ?.

i'm already starting to notice a change in behaviour in spg staff

don't know if this is an indication that a buyout is imminent

been sometime now since barry sternlicht moved on and his current projects (1hotels, baccarat) are now fully operational

Comment

Yeah, we've heard IHG, the Chinese, and now Hyatt/Buffett. Merging would definitely make a worse program for all of us. All the more reason for people to qualify for top tiers -- at least you'll get a year out of it.
      HUGE AL

Comment

marriott buys starwood for $12.2 billion in cash and stock

marriott buys starwood to create world's largest hotel company

http://www.businessinsider.com/marri...ompany-2015-11

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/16/inve...tel/index.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-12-2-billion

Comment

There goes the neighborhood for SPG loyalists...
          Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Glad it's Marriott rather than Hyatt, but wary of what happens with me close to Life Plat...

Originally posted by lcpteck View Post
            There goes the neighborhood for SPG loyalists...
            The reverse, actually, as it is a damn sight easier to get Starwood Plat than Marriott Plat.

Comment

Can't see how this is a good thing. I saw an off the cuff comment by a stranger on an internet forum yesterday saying "that's one less card to carry" which IMHO, displays a lack of understanding of the true meaning of this takeover.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                I saw an off the cuff comment by a stranger on an internet forum yesterday saying "that's one less card to carry"
                wots he talking about

I carry at least ten different cards in me purse all the time

some of them just cos they look pretty

Comment

an article by scott mayerowitz

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/must-...171904387.html

Comment

While I stay frequently at both Marriott and SPG properties (More Marriott this year), I am not familiar with the business environment these hotel chains operate in.

What were the reasons for the merger / acquisition?

Comment

I can see Hyatt getting quite a few defectors after the SPG swan song.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

And…It's Not Quite Done, as Starwood Receives New Offer from Chinese

https://starwood.q4web.com/investor-...t.aspx?print=1

Excluding the $400M Breakup Fee, this represents a 19% increase…not to mention, it's an all cash deal. HOT rose almost 8% on the news today. Starwood's waiver expires on the 17th, so we should hear something VERY SOON.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

They have accepted it and given Marriott tend days to come up with a better offer. I

nteresting.....and there's me trying to sort my life plat this year before Marriott got them and f***ed the programme up.....

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            They have accepted it and given Marriott tend days to come up with a better offer. I

nteresting.....and there's me trying to sort my life plat this year before Marriott got them and f***ed the programme up.....
                            Three years ago, this thread would get MUCH MORE traffic. Didn't post Friday's news since there were no replies earlier. SPG still represents decent values out there. And transferring Points to airlines or using Nights & Flights is still the best in the business.

Lifetime status feels like a lower tier.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

And now Marriot have come back with a better offer

Comment

Working...
                              X