Reviews of Starwood properties - Los Angeles area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    I'm tossing up between W Hollywood and SLS, anyone got a current viewpoint about which one to go for? Would be for a one-night stay, and something with great nightlife or a famous bar (nearby/outside also given due consideration) would be awesome...
    Did you NOT read above?! SLS is a total POS. Service was almost as bad as the W Westwood! And the rooms are small and nothing to write home about. W Hollywood has Drai's -- however, hotel guests have no pull there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13571416-post120.html

Also, any thoughts on the Westin LA Airport? Am thinking of maybe staying one night for convenience... unless there's something else nearby that's worth a mention from Hilton or SPG...
    If you really enjoy a trip back to the '70s (complete with the bong smell), then the Westin LAX is for you. On the other hand, if you'd like a NICE property, go across the street to the Sheraton -- which, strangely, is around the same price.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Dude, that was back in 2009 - furthermore, the review was by our esteemed nursalimLPP *ahem*

And no, I don't consider this juicy tidbit a review:
      The SLS is charging way too much for what it is. The fact that I can't fit 3 people in my shower kind of is a deal breaker for me.
      Because there will be 2 people, and I prefer a jacuzzi or bathtub.

Fine - we're not doing the SLS then, and swinging towards the W Hollywood (Drai's, as you mentioned might work, and bookings should be available this far in advance). (edit, actually after reading that review in its entirety on FT, now I'm not so sure what to do!)

If Santa Monica ain't that far away, we can also consider that, I suppose...

Any Hilton properties worth a mention?

Might not do the airport hotels, after further consideration...

Comment

If Santa Monica ain't that far away, we can also consider that, I suppose...

Any Hilton properties worth a mention?

Might not do the airport hotels, after further consideration...
        HGI LAX is a nice resonably priced place. You can take the small rail to Santa Monica from just outside the hotel. Whenever I overnight in LAX, I stay there.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, 9V-JKL (we'll have our own set of wheels as mostly doing a road trip).

Just realised I have two more Q3FNs and someone's kindly suggested the Hilton Beverly Hills privately, so that looks like a done deal! Alas, W Hollywood may have to wait til another day... thinking of other SPG hotels in other Californian cities, might also still be needing this later down the trip on LA so all suggestions still welcome

Comment

Much as HUGE AL is a bro, and much as he dissed me for staying at W Westwood recently, i did NOT have a bad experience there. It was fine and I much prefer Westwood to Hollywood.

Kyo+, consider also whether you will be driving and how you will be getting around. Location, aside from the pros and cons of each property, is particularly important in LA.

Comment

And no, I don't consider this juicy tidbit a review:
              Oh, but it is!

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              Much as HUGE AL is a bro, and much as he dissed me for staying at W Westwood recently, i did NOT have a bad experience there. It was fine and I much prefer Westwood to Hollywood.
              OH, but there is a back story he's leaving out here.

And...for the price that HOLE charges (2/3 the price of the Pen), there are MANY other options.

Granted, if you want to walk to UCLA, there's no better option.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              Kyo+, consider also whether you will be driving and how you will be getting around. Location, aside from the pros and cons of each property, is particularly important in LA.
              This is good advice. If you plan on spending lots of time in Hollywood, then having a hotel there would make life a whole lot easier.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Would be for a one-night stay, and something with great nightlife or a famous bar (nearby/outside also given due consideration) would be awesome...
                With this criteria I would strongly recommend the Andaz on Sunset. I know you don't have status with Hyatt but sometimes it is worth having a day off from our points and status 'obsession' (something I should do a lot more myself, I hasten to add...) and look around.

The Andaz is right in the thick of the action in that end of town, and when we had four rooms for a few days last year it was probably my favourite hotel stay of the year, and as you are aware I stay in a lot of hotels and get very well looked after in a few of them.

Comment

I've not stayed at the W Hollywood, but even though it looks like a really nice property, I dislike Hollywood proper thoroughly. Andaz as suggested has a better location on Sunset in the middle of great restaurants and nightlife, and has a similar trendy vibe to W. Or the Mondrian, also on Sunset.

No experience of SLS but it does look like an interesting property. La Cienega is good for restaurants.

I love the W Westwood but Westwood isn't the best locale if you're only there for 1 night. It's a primarily residential area.

Both Ws (and also the SLS IIRC but don't quote me on that) offer complimentary one way chauffeur services.

Santa Monica is approximately 30 minutes away from the West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. The Huntley is one of my faves. But if sticking to SPG there's also a Sheraton in Santa Monica.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 February 2011, 07:57 AM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                  X