Disruption at HKG - beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disruption at HKG - beware!

I just arrived on CX TPE-HKG. After waiting 40 mins for our luggage, we were told that the baggage handlers have gone on strike. Nothing is being unloaded from the planes. Everyone was asked to fill out lost lugagge forms and wait to be reunited with our luggage. It also means that the planes can't leave.

Groan! People could solve the problem and can't give up like that!

Comment

I'm bound for HKG next Wed on KA...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I just arrived on CX TPE-HKG. After waiting 40 mins for our luggage, we were told that the baggage handlers have gone on strike. Nothing is being unloaded from the planes. Everyone was asked to fill out lost lugagge forms and wait to be reunited with our luggage. It also means that the planes can't leave.
        Just read the warning on CX's website. There's possibility of delay.

Comment

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/eng...1227&56&548100

Airport firm hit by strike

27-12-2008
          Airport ground staff employed by Hong Kong Airport Services have held a three hour strike in protest against the company's recent decision to cut their annual bonus. The strike caused delays in baggage handling and affected a number of flights. The industrial action followed the break down of talks between the workers' union and management. However, the talks resumed after the strike and the company offered a new package which the union agreed to consider. Unionist lawmaker Ip Wai-ming, a spokesman for the workers, said Hong Kong Airport Services had cancelled annual merit bonuses and offered a one-time additional payment of $750 to each worker, which they had rejected. Mr Ip said more than 1,000 ground staff took part in the strike. He said it was decided to hold the stoppage because the workers had considered the company had not been sincere in the negotiations. The dispute affected baggage handling for a number of flights. The luggage of some Dragon Air passengers - on outgoing flights - had to be transfered to other aircraft. Some travellers - who arrived at Chek Lap Kok - said they had to wait for two hours for their lugagge.

Comment

Does the Amex insurance cover 'lost luggage' in such cases?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
              Does the Amex insurance cover 'lost luggage' in such cases?
              Yes, I think it should do but...

A huge to the staff at SQ check-in at HKG who - after I made the throwaway remark that I didn't have any luggage to check-in because it was lost as a result of the short strike - spent a lot of time phoning airport people to ask them to try and track down my case asap (which I'd only checked in as far as HKG) and load it on to my SQ flight before the flight closed. It wasn't their/SQ's problem at all of course but they still went to the effort of trying.

(After about 40+ minutes, it still couldn't be found and I had to go to make the SQ flight. However, after I boarded and before departure, somebody came on board to tell me that I should speak to the CX service staff at my next destination tomorrow so hopefully it's been found.)

Comment

A huge to the staff at SQ check-in at HKG who - after I made the throwaway remark that I didn't have any luggage to check-in because it was lost as a result of the short strike - spent a lot of time phoning airport people to ask them to try and track down my case asap (which I'd only checked in as far as HKG) and load it on to my SQ flight before the flight closed. It wasn't their/SQ's problem at all of course but they still went to the effort of trying.

(After about 40+ minutes, it still couldn't be found and I had to go to make the SQ flight. However, after I boarded and before departure, somebody came on board to tell me that I should speak to the CX service staff at my next destination tomorrow so hopefully it's been found.)
                At least, this shows an example that SQ ground service is not really really bad, as it had been claimed in so many posts in many sites.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  At least, this shows an example that SQ ground service is not really really bad, as it had been claimed in so many posts in many sites.
                  Indeed. I was very impressed - and touched even - by how much they cared and wanted to help.

Comment

Thanks for the updates, jhm.

Hope your luggage is found and returned soon.

Comment

Ahh crap.. I got a 4 day stop in HKG on the way to SFO and I leave on Wednesday.

What to do is the question.. what to do.

Comment

The strike lasted only for a few hours, e.g. the airport was working as normal last night.

Comment

Working...
                        X