X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 days in... Cape Town vs Seoul

I'm trying to decide where to start my next DONE in July 2009:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891497

It's fast turning into a decision based on where I'd rather be, Cape Town or Seoul as, aside from too little Qantas segments and too much Traitor Air flying on the ex-JNB itinerary, both get me more or less to where I want to go. International currency movements notwithstanding.

So if you have 2 days to spare... where would you rather be? Any comments on the nightlife and ability to get plastered in either place?

Pros of Cape Town:
    - Wine growing region
    - Nice scenery
    - From many accounts - good looking men
    - I've not been to Africa

Pros of Seoul:
    - Easier to position to from MNL (where my current DONE is going to end), and easier to get home from should I decide not to do DONEs anymore after that
    - There's a W in Seoul
    - Korean food
    - Safer (?)
    - Centre of political significance RE Korean War
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 November 2008, 01:09 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

There are other factors such as ease or otherwise of getting the repositioning flights, ease or otherwise of getting the flights from CPT/ICN back to MEL (JNB-SYD is not too easy to get on a xONEx), risk of exchange rate movements. Both currencies have been rather volatile lately (as has AUD which you benchmark too I guess).

BTW I wouldn't consider CPT unsafe so safety not an issue for me ICN vs CPT.

Comment

Been monitoring D availability on JNB-SYD, and it depends on the day you travel - some days it's wide open other days it's D0 even this far out. It's D9 on the day I have in mind. But yes you're right ex-ICN is easier in that regard. Plenty of flights on Cathay down to HKG, connecting to either QF flight into MEL both of which feature abundant D availability.

I've also booked a MNL-xSIN-CPT-JNB award with my BD miles since I had a feeling that it's far easier to get an award to ICN than it is to South Africa, this way if I change my mind I could simply cancel, refund and book the ICN without too much dramas rather than trying to hunt for availability to JNB/CPT when it's too late.

But anyway I've left the itinerary/mileage discussion to FT/AFF since it's mostly OW-centric. I want to get a better picture of which is a nicer city to visit here.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 November 2008, 01:15 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've not been to Seoul so can only comment on this:

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        Pros of Cape Town:
        - Wine growing region
        - Nice scenery
        It has stunning scenery ... but you'll need a car for that and the Cape Winelands (not only wine but also great food to be found as well), If you don't drive yourself, perhaps you need to check on the tours available ?

(No W in Cape Town but there is the Westin. phaleesy and I stayed there earlier this year on cash+points. Upgraded to a suite. A nice lounge with canapes in the evening; items cooked to order for breakfast (e.g. eggs benedict) plus oysters and champagne as part of the breakfast buffet! )

Edit: oops, forget I mentioned the oysters!

Comment

I've been to both places in last month and a half, although it was my first visit to Cape Town and fifth or sixth to Seoul.

I was never fond of Seoul before, probably due to the fact I never had much time to explore the city as all trips there were usually mad busy. It has grown on me on my last couple of vists though, once I got used to the fact that English is not as widely spoken as one would like.

Personally, I would go for Cape Town, although I wouldn't rush back to the Westin where I had a very poor experience. Having said that it is very handy for the waterfront, which you can walk to in 10 minutes.

Comment

Well, seems like the responses I'm getting are overwhelmingly in favour of Cape Town.

Would 48 hrs be sufficient to do all there is to do in Cape Town? I get in on the SQ flight at 1025 on the 20th (it's via JNB now) and leave at 1240 on the 22nd on a domestic flight to JNB.

I'd probably want to do the wineries (i don't drive so would need a tour), check out both Waterfront and Long St (cheap nights out to be had I'm advised). Don't think I'm into safaris so won't be doing that. And is July too cold for Camps Bay?

And the shopping... any good in Cape Town?
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 November 2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Would 48 hrs be sufficient to do all there is to do in Cape Town?
              Yes!

48 hours in Cape Town

Even leaving out visits to places like the Botanical Gardens (not by my choice - I had a snooze in the car ), there's still enough to do to easily spend a week in and (particularly) around Cape Town with the proof being that phaleesy and I are booked for 15 to 25 May next year.

Comment

My concern was that 48hrs would be too little time to do all there is to do since your TR and other comments on various forums make it seem like there's heaps to do, as you'd know it takes me at least 4 days to properly explore a city.

But then this would be a RTW and I'd end up back in CPT at the end of it.

Barring a dramatic appreciation of the Rand when I decide to ticket, I think I'd go with the ex-SA option now.

Now if only there's a W in CPT...

Comment

Ooops, my "Yes!" was meant to be "No!", 48 hours is not sufficient ... but I take the view with these things that 48 (or whatever) hours is a taster. If you like it, you can always return for more.

Comment

I have never been to Seoul so can't comment on there but I think Cape Town is excellent. As JHM said there is too much to do to see it all in 48 hours but it would definitely give you an introduction. Mu highlights are
                    Walk/take cable car up Table Mountain
                    Robin Island
                    Winneries region
                    Hermanus (whale watching)
                    Cape of good hope (stopping off to see the penguins on the way)
                    Victoria Harbour

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      It has stunning scenery ... but you'll need a car for that and the Cape Winelands (not only wine but also great food to be found as well), If you don't drive yourself, perhaps you need to check on the tours available ?

(No W in Cape Town but there is the Westin. phaleesy and I stayed there earlier this year on cash+points. Upgraded to a suite. A nice lounge with canapes in the evening; items cooked to order for breakfast (e.g. eggs benedict) plus oysters and champagne as part of the breakfast buffet! )

If you decide on CPT, I have a contact for a local tour operator I've known for 5+ years. He can arrange local transfers from airport and he also arranged a tour of the local wineyards (with free tastings) for me in 2002. Pity its totally wasted on me as I don't drink. But I did buy a couple bottles of vino though...!

Having said that I did do CPT in 48 hours in 2004. Its only because I needed to do a MR on an expiring OWE ticket! But having been to CPT, 48 hours is not enough for the first time visitor.

Comment

- From many accounts - good looking men
                        Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Good looking men and oysters!
                        Hot hot hot ...
                        Dot dot dot ..

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          Good looking men and oysters!
                          Hot hot hot ...
                          Dot dot dot ..
                          Oh man SQ LPP you are being evil

but i agree too

Comment

- There's a W in Seoul
                            but a MUCH NICER Park Hyatt!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              but a MUCH NICER Park Hyatt!
                              Doesn't look as funky to me. And PHs aren't meant to be loud and hopping I don't think? The few I've stayed in weren't v happening (even on weekends). In short, they ain't Ws.

Comment

Working...
                              X