Bangalore Dining Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangalore Dining Suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place for dinner in Bangalore, ideally one which is not too far from the usual route to the airport?

One possibility I was thinking of was the ITC Windsor hotel (Several good restaurants there), but appreciate any other suggestions as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by yflyer; 21 November 2014, 10:00 AM.

I would highly recommend checking out the restaurants at the Oberoi. Choices include Rim Naam for Thai, Schezwan Court for Chinese, and Le Jardin for Continental fare. All three restaurants have a nice ambiance, friendly service and good food.

If you enjoy Indian Chinese cuisine, I would also suggest dropping by Memories of China to try their lunch buffet. They are located in the Vivanta by Taj, just around the corner from the Oberoi.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
      I would highly recommend checking out the restaurants at the Oberoi. Choices include Rim Naam for Thai, Schezwan Court for Chinese, and Le Jardin for Continental fare. All three restaurants have a nice ambiance, friendly service and good food.

If you enjoy Indian Chinese cuisine, I would also suggest dropping by Memories of China to try their lunch buffet. They are located in the Vivanta by Taj, just around the corner from the Oberoi.
      Thanks, ek&sq! I've had really good Chinese food in New Delhi (both the authentic Chinese and Indian Chinese varieties), but haven't really tried Chinese restaurants in Bangalore or many other cities in India. Will keep these in mind!

For my most recent trip, before heading to the airport, I ended up going to ITC Windsor to eat at Dakshin, their South Indian restaurant, which was very good. From the ITC Windsor, it was 45 minutes to the airport (but this was after the evening rush hour had ended, so it was pretty smooth driving to the airport...)

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        Thanks, ek&sq! I've had really good Chinese food in New Delhi (both the authentic Chinese and Indian Chinese varieties), but haven't really tried Chinese restaurants in Bangalore or many other cities in India. Will keep these in mind!

For my most recent trip, before heading to the airport, I ended up going to ITC Windsor to eat at Dakshin, their South Indian restaurant, which was very good. From the ITC Windsor, it was 45 minutes to the airport (but this was after the evening rush hour had ended, so it was pretty smooth driving to the airport...)
        I guess I am a bit too late dropping by.

I was about to recommend Dakshin too.
        It's my favourite in the country. Very extensive range of South Indian food with many dishes and flavours not commonly found elsewhere.

The BLR drive is so much improved now with the new flyover almost all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
          I guess I am a bit too late dropping by.

I was about to recommend Dakshin too.
          It's my favourite in the country. Very extensive range of South Indian food with many dishes and flavours not commonly found elsewhere.

The BLR drive is so much improved now with the new flyover almost all the way.
          No, not too late...always future trips to India where recommendations will come in handy!

The Dakshin in the ITC Maratha in Mumbai (Very close to the International Airport) has always been one of my favourite restaurants, but this was the first time I ate at Dakshin in the ITC Windsor in Bangalore.

They have introduced thali meals (Veg, Non-Veg or Seafood options) for single diners -- I don't recall them having this in Mumbai, but I have not been back there for a while.

The bowl of crackers/pappadums they serve at the start of the meal, together with several different chutneys, and a couple of deep fried chilli's, has always been a favourite of mine...

I must have polished off half the basket before they served my non-veg thali meal...

Apart from what you see above, there was a large hopper...

As well as rice, sambar and rasam.

The restaurant also had live music, which I really enjoyed as well...

I finished dinner just after 8pm, and it was a smooth 45 minute drive to the airport for my flight SQ503 BLR-SIN.

Not a bad pit stop before a flight home.

Any other suggestions for dinner in Bangalore (Or any other city in India, for that matter!) still appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            The Dakshin in the ITC Maratha in Mumbai (Very close to the International Airport) has always been one of my favourite restaurants, but this was the first time I ate at Dakshin in the ITC Windsor in Bangalore.

They have introduced thali meals (Veg, Non-Veg or Seafood options) for single diners -- I don't recall them having this in Mumbai, but I have not been back there for a while.

The bowl of crackers/pappadums they serve at the start of the meal, together with several different chutneys, and a couple of deep fried chilli's, has always been a favourite of mine...

I must have polished off half the basket before they served my non-veg thali meal...

Apart from what you see above, there was a large hopper...

Any other suggestions for dinner in Bangalore (Or any other city in India, for that matter!) still appreciated...
            I knew Dakshin from the Mumbai Maratha too. It is now called Dakshin Coastal. Yes, they have thalis now, and seafood thali is their specialty. amazing, especially the shredded de-shelled crab, makes eating crab a breeze and what a pleasure for me.

I might actually finish the basket of papads first before they top up and then the food arrives.

That was an appam i think.

The iyer's trolley is the one to try there. It's a collection of small appetiser items.

Looks like India is picking up economically, eh. Last year, I had almost zero paid trips by any clients. Starting in March, I have been going again on clients' expenses once or twice a month. Looks like the same case in your industry / profession.

Anyway, I find Bangalore a bit dry of good restaurants. I think I cannot live in the place. Rather boring. All the decent places are in hotels and they are quite expensive. Other than Dakshin, the ones that ek&sq suggested are good. Rim Naam is good. Le Jardin, when I was there the only time, was serving Indian food and it was not good. I heard the italian should be better.

In Delhi, i like:

1. Kwality's (very old family-style restaurant for chole and bhatura)
            2. Veda's (funky place, I liked the gobi manchurian)
            3. Dakshin again (of course!) at the Sheraton Saket
            4. Indian Accent - this one you cannot go on the way to airport. It's a multi-course lasting a few hours. Very modern and interesting interpretation.

I am still exploring, keep trying new recommendations by my local counterpart there.

It's cosmopolitan Mumbai that I like the best, and there I go beyond Indian food. There are modern american, modern europeans, and hip cafes:

1. The Table (my best list, zucchini spaghetti, cubed chicken wings, very modern food)
            2. Samrat (Gujarati , I love Gujarati, very unique flavour profile. Lots of sweet and sour notes beyond the spice. Very complex).
            3. Sassy Spoon (New European)
            4. Ellipsis (New American)
            5. Trishna (Coastal food)
            6. Gajalee (Coastal food, specifically butter pepper stuffs, but we also have a branch of it in Singapore now)
            7. Mahesh's lunch home (coastal food too)
            8. Masala Bay at the Taj Bandra
            9. Pali Village cafe (hip cafe with good food)
            10. Dakshin again. Haha
            11. So many more exciting places to try like Masala Library with its molecular gastronomy adventures on Indian food.

Too bad, Mumbai is the slowest to come back. i haven't been back there for almost a year. I miss the place.

I am now pretty regular on SQ 403 (DEL) and SQ 503 (BLR). Next trip is 15-16 Dec in DEL, and 22-24 Dec in BLR. May be we don't have to have solo dinners on the way to airport if you are there too.
            Last edited by SQueeze; 3 December 2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
              I am now pretty regular on SQ 403 (DEL) and SQ 503 (BLR). Next trip is 15-16 Dec in DEL, and 22-24 Dec in BLR. May be we don't have to have solo dinners on the way to airport if you are there too.
              Wow, thanks for the comprehensive list of recommendations, SQueeze! Will keep those in mind. I used to be a very frequent visitor to India, however the last few years were very quiet, and I seldom headed there. It does look like activities are ramping up again, so your list will come in very handy!

I'm not planning trips to India at the end of the year, but yes, if dates do align, it would be great to have company for dinner!

You are cutting it quite close to Christmas for BLR...no fun travelling so close to a major festive holiday!

There was one time I had to be in Seoul on Dec 23, and I misjudged the traffic from Bundang (near Seoul) to Incheon Airport, as there was severe traffic congestion that day, and almost missed my SQ15 ICN-SIN leg.

I had done an online check-in, so the check-in staff at ICN actually called my cell phone to check if I was showing up for the flight. I told them I was stuck in traffic, but reassured them that I was close by on the freeway, and would be arriving shortly at ICN.

I arrived after the check-in counters had closed, but they had my luggage tag and boarding pass all printed, and the SQ guy and I sprinted together to the immigration area to catch the plane. And the amazing thing is, not only did I make my flight, so did my luggage. And I was in Y...

I was very grateful to the SQ staff at ICN who helped me that day (otherwise I would have missed Christmas eve in SIN) and of course sent in a thank you note after that...
              Last edited by yflyer; 28 November 2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X