Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redeeming reward flights (SIN-LAX, SFO-SIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeeming reward flights (SIN-LAX, SFO-SIN)

Hi guys, just want to ask for some advice. I am a rookie trying to redeem a Saver Suites tix SIN-LAX for mid-June in 2015. I have been tracking the status as dates open up for next year. However, I have been noticing that for every single day in June that has opened up, no Saver tix in Suites (and even J) are available. They are all waitlisted. Is SQ holding back on Saver tix or is someone snapping up the Saver tix at midnight once they are released?

If I waitlist, do I have a good shot of getting it?

To me, flying into LAX/SFO and flying back makes no difference to me. I planned to fly Suites to LAX and J-class back from SFO because I wanted to try the Suites product and also check out TPR out of SIN. However, I might have to do J-class up to LAX/SFO (since the J-class on A380 and 77W are the same) and come back from LAX to fly in Suites. Would this be a more viable option rather than to be waitlisted?

Please advice Thanks guys!
    Last edited by gumption; 20 June 2014, 09:31 AM.

Gumption: listing Saver F/Suites in waitlist is a default. Whether the waitlist turns into a confirmed, depends on where you are on the pecking list of pax who have also waitlisted themselves on that day i.e. are you Solitaire, PPS, Gold ... etc. SQ doesn't seem to want a first-come-first-served policy for Saver F - as they want to be able to give priority to their best customers for these "discounted" seats.

A suggestion that many experienced flyers here suggest is that you try to get a firm Saver J while you waitlist F if you have to fly on those dates. Then cancel it if your Saver F becomes available. However, you've to be careful that none of your miles are expired when you do so - they may just disappear when you cancel the J seat. If in doubt, call KF.

Comment

Hi CarbonMan, thanks for the quick reply. May I know if SQ also witholds Saver J on waitlist?

Comment

My theory is for truly peak periods by routes, they waitlist Savers by default. On dates less in demand, they just open up Savers as a free-for-all to all Krisflyer members.

I remember searching for December space in Suites for LAX-SIN and watching Saver availability show as each day opened up, but right around the 15th, every date started being on waitlist.

SQ may also open up Savers later. SIN-JFK Suites Savers for January 2015 was all waitlisted as the schedule opened up back in January of this year, but somewhere in May, a bunch of dates were magically released (with 2 seats on many days too.)

Comment

I have had a similar experience recently with a fantastic outcome. My partner and I will do a dual special birthday RTW in April/May next year so booked 2 x J tickets as soon as they opened MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX and JFK-FRA. Never got around to booking FRA-MEL. I looked on-line as soon as the bookings were ticketed and saw WL on every sector to upgrade to F/Suites. I happened to be in SIN at the time so then went into the office at ION and got a similar message even three days in each direction for every sector.

However, when I contacted the PPS number directly on my return to MEL, for a similar number of points out of both our accounts, I was able to secure F/Suites Saver seats on ALL sectors (not an upgrade) so will be able to pay for F all the way back from FRA with the refund from the original J tickets. We will actually fly LH from FRA-SIN as I hear the LH lounge is special in FRA and then can use the TPR again in SIN.

This is the first time I have tried such an ambitious points itinerary so extremely happy with the outcome. On this occasion, I am happy SQ holds back the release of Saver seats as I have been a TPPS for 14 years so maybe I deserve to be high on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by gumption View Post
            Hi CarbonMan, thanks for the quick reply. May I know if SQ also witholds Saver J on waitlist?
            It all depends on the popularity of the route. I have seen cases where they do not have it on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays but are available the rest of the week. Suggest that your try to search different days. On very popular routes I've seen J Savers on waitlist the entire week, and the waitlist only gets confirmed 1-2 weeks before flight date. It's the pain we have to go through to get "discounted" seats from a tight-fisted airline. And it doesn't help these days when airlines are coming under tremendous pressure to stop hemorrhaging and increase margins.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie View Post
              My theory is for truly peak periods by routes, they waitlist Savers by default. On dates less in demand, they just open up Savers as a free-for-all to all Krisflyer members.

I remember searching for December space in Suites for LAX-SIN and watching Saver availability show as each day opened up, but right around the 15th, every date started being on waitlist.

SQ may also open up Savers later. SIN-JFK Suites Savers for January 2015 was all waitlisted as the schedule opened up back in January of this year, but somewhere in May, a bunch of dates were magically released (with 2 seats on many days too.)
              You're correct. Suites savers were available during off-peak periods on the routes that I'd booked previously e.g. SIN-CDG-SIN, SIN-JFK-SIN. Just got to be quick and book early in advance. Mine were booked about 6 months out.

Comment

I tried booking biz saver for SIN-LAX on SQ12 for 13 June 2015. However, for Saver, it says 'Unavailable'. However, it indicates 'Waitlist' for Standard and 'Available' for Full Award. Does it mean that they are not going to release Saver seats for these flights?

Comment

Nobody knows. They might or they may never. I know that is a vague answer, but it is a reality. With lots of folks coming in now with their fresh batch of Chase points converted to KF miles the competition for seats has gone up. There was never much inventory to go around in the first place especially on the coveted Biz/First/Suites routes from/to LAX, SFO and JFK and it isn't getting any easier.

Availability will be controlled based on what they think they can sell first and with a run at Saver awards they may just decide not to load too many of those initially if there are still plenty of folks waitlisting / confirming into Standard awards. So you will have to check regularily for something to pop up and be ready to grab it when it does.

Comment

Working...
                  X