SQ Lounge in AMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Lounge in AMS

It doesn't say anything about it being refurbed or reopening so it would appear the SKL at Schiphol may have been closed. Shame if it has as it was a nice little lounge, I remember using it regularly when flying KL in the good old days of open doors for Solitaires.

From 1 November 2011, PPS Club and KrisFlyer Elite Gold members can enjoy the premium lounge facilities at the Menzies-Servisair Lounge (Room Number 41), a short walk from the present location. The new lounge offers significantly more space in a modern design, with shower facilities and a separate TV corner.

PPS Club and KrisFlyer Elite Gold members can look forward to a larger exclusive private area of 235 square metres with 48 single lounge seats, 27 dining seats and four workstations, one of which is equipped with a desktop computer. Wireless Internet connectivity is available at no charge for up to three hours. The new lounge also provides a wide range of snacks and refreshments.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...unge-nov11.jsp

Should have noticed by now that SQ is progressively closing their own lounges in their destinations as a cost cutting measure. It's known as "outsourcing". To keep and maintain your own lounge is great for customers as they need to have the standard that SQ has so often boated about!! We can be "pampered" but it comes at a great cost. Fobbing us to another carrier's lounge is cheaper as they pay accordingly to the number of paxs that uses their facilities (fixed cost). And if PPS complain about the facilities, SQ can simply say they have provided us with lounge facilities and there is nothing they can do about it as they do not operate the lounges.
    Isn't this a sign that the sun is fast setting on SQ? Carriers that are progressive and on the up will create their own lounges to create a "seamless" expression of service both in the air and on land!!

Comment

Unfortunately, the AMS is indeed gone, and has been replaced by the (new) Menzies lounge, which is where the old KLM RoyalWing lounge used to be. I was there yesterday, and the entrance to the lounge was clogged by a horde of people asking guest access, and they also had a sign up with walk-in prices for food and showers.

Things took a turn for the better later, as I saw one of the SQ staff standing off to the right after the reception, next to a Singapore Airlines sign. The right-hand corner of the lounge is reserved for SQ passengers only complete with food and drinks. These are the same as elsewhere in the lounge, but at least the SQ area feels a bit more private and quiet than the rest of the lounge.

I spoke to the lady representing SQ (a familiar face at least!) and she explained the the SilverKris lounge had not been renovated in over 20 years, the carpets were worn thin, internet was intermittent, and that it was generally in need of a refurbishment. With only one daily flight now (remember the AMS-EWR flights?) and no First class, SQ management decided not to renovate but to use a third-party lounge.

I really do miss the SilverKris lounge, having spent so much time there over the years. I was happy to put up with the lack of renovations, I liked the SQ amenities and the peacefulness, the mints and chocolates. The new lounge is indeed brand new (the old Menzies lounge has been closed), the food and drink selection is OK but not spectacular. It is better than the old Menzies lounge. And the SQ-only area makes it feel a bit less forbidding after the SKL...

Anyway, I overheard a number of passengers expressing sorrow at the closure of the old lounge to the lady from SQ, but I guess the SKL is not coming back.

Comment

why so sentimental... the SQ lounge was only a square room clogged with furniture... , and imo just as bad as the one in Manila...
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
          With only one daily flight now (remember the AMS-EWR flights?) and no First class, SQ management decided not to renovate but to use a third-party lounge.
          Bizarre of course as they have announced a change of a/c to 77W with F.

I really do miss the SilverKris lounge, having spent so much time there over the years. I was happy to put up with the lack of renovations, I liked the SQ amenities and the peacefulness, the mints and chocolates.
          I have to admit I used to like using the place as well, and never thought it was particularly run down. Intermitent internet is nothing unusual for SQ lounges, the ones at Changi are crap half the time.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          why so sentimental... the SQ lounge was only a square room clogged with furniture... , and imo just as bad as the one in Manila...
          Ooh you miserable sod!.

And the SKL at MNL is far worse then the one in AMS!.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Intermitent internet is nothing unusual for SQ lounges, the ones at Changi are crap half the time.
            I thought I was the only one that noticed!!!

Comment

For those who missed the old lounge and have yet to visit the contracted Menzies' lounge, here is a quick intro:

An invite to the Menzies Lounge is offered at check-in.

After you clear immigration (yes, there is fast-track but still quite a bit of a queue), you turn right and will see the sign as in the pic below. At this point, you'd need to remember that it is lounge #42 but the name "Menzies" will pop up later on. Much, later.

Go up the escalator and walk, walk, walk....

There was no crowd at the counter when I arrived (whew!). Anway, the lady noticed my SQ BP and immediately pointed me to the SQ side, taking my invite from me as I went by and carefully made record of my visit. I am guessing SQ pays them per visitor (?).

The lounge is not big but adequate. There are high and low backed leather chairs in the lounge area:

The dining side looks like a cafetaria and was empty. If you look beyond the glass partition in the pic below, you'd see that the non-SQ side has quite a crowd.

Food and drink selection are quite good for the single SQ late morning departure each day. There are nice pastries, bread (still warm under the cloth), decent coffee, good tea selection and a small range of non-premium alcoholic drinks for those who'd lke to start early.

WiFi is free for SQ passengers. You'd need to collect a pre-paid ticket from the reception.

Toilet facilities are in the other side. Basic but Ok, I guess. I am not sure if there are shower facilities, though.

My verdict - not luxurious but pretty decent. I'd rate it way above FRA and maybe just a wee bit better than CPG.

Comment

Amusing to see that the notice of the closure of this place and advising where the current lounge is located is still pinned to the door of the (ex)SKL, from 2011....

The current lounge has a separate section roped off exclusively for SQ pax.

Comment

I had three hours in Schiphol last Saturday so decided to try out the new Aspire Lounge (via PP) which is next door to the new BA lounge. To get there you have to go up a lift then on a hell of a walk, most of it outside but covered, the path of which is across part of the Panorama Viewing Deck. It may be a trek, for now with all the work going on at Schiphol, but it's a very nice lounge so worth it.

The reason I post this here is while I was there I saw the 'This section is for SQ pax only' sign, which would indicate it is now SQ's lounge. However, the website still names the Menzies lounge as their lounge at AMS. This new one is now 'Lounge 41' IIRC. I did see that MH also seem to use it.
                  Last edited by MAN Flyer; 27 February 2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I will be there next week. When I flew EK J out of AMS, I was given the option of lounge access or €30, chose the latter as I heard that the lounge was mediocre at best.

Comment

Originally posted by schumaster View Post
                      I will be there next week. When I flew EK J out of AMS, I was given the option of lounge access or €30, chose the latter as I heard that the lounge was mediocre at best.
                      Post some pics, please.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                        Post some pics, please.
                        Will do!

Comment

Just to update this for anyone who may be flying SQ out of Schiphol. The long walk stopped a few months back as they opened up the new central security area and you could get directly to the lounge (and the BA one next to it) from the terminal area underneath. Unfortunately the next stage of the upgrade works is underway and that route is closed off again. The walk isn't as far as before but it's worth bearing in mind if you're running tight on time, especially as SQ usually seem to be at gate G3 and those around there.

Comment

Thanks for the update, that was one heck of a long walk indeed... had three crew rushing me along at different stages of the journey

Comment

Fortunately it's not as bad as it was when they originally opened the lounge, that was a squelchy walk in a downpour. And according to the dragons the lifts outside the lounge straight down to the terminal area underneath should be up and running before the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X