Happy Birthday KeithMEL !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    I've been to LST 5 or 6 times now and never for more than 5 hours.....
    Don't worry mate, you have not missed much! Spent 5 years there at College but the place was way to boring for me...
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
      Don't worry mate, you have not missed much! Spent 5 years there at College but the place was way to boring for me...
      I didn't think much of Launceston itself, but the surrounding areas (wine regions etc) were beautiful. Somewhere I can see myself retiring in or seeking refuge in if international civilisation collapses.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        I didn't think much of Launceston itself, but the surrounding areas (wine regions etc) were beautiful. Somewhere I can see myself retiring in or seeking refuge in if international civilisation collapses.
        It's worth a visit, yes... but to stay long term there (or anywhere in Tassie for that matter ) is not something I would recommend... But I am sure kapitan would disagree with me on this!
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          A very good point and an alternative to NZ South Island which is currently in our disaster planning.

Many happy returns Keith, I hear you had a great weekend. Can't believe you flew out of Devonport! Doesn't it have a grass runway?

Comment

Originally posted by VC10 Boy View Post
            A very good point and an alternative to NZ South Island which is currently in our disaster planning.

Many happy returns Keith, I hear you had a great weekend. Can't believe you flew out of Devonport! Doesn't it have a grass runway?
            Thanks mate.

LOL, DPO is small but not *that* small. It only had 2 airlines, Qantaslink and Tasair operating daily turboprop flights to Melbourne and other cities in Tasmania respectively. 2 departure gates, and a very small Qantas lounge. The same couple of QF check in staff were later seen handling baggage and boarding the flight, and by boarding I mean manually marking everyone off the pax list though we had regular boarding passes with barcodes and all. Don't arrive too early like we did, check in doesn't open till an hour before departure and until then the lounge is locked up. The terminal doesn't seem to have been touched since the 60s. With Launceston being only an hour's drive away you'd think LST would be perfectly adequate - then again the electoral division of Braddon is a rather marginal seat...

We simply wanted to have a brief peak at what Devonport was like (being at the other end of the Spirit of Tasmania you'd think there'd be something going on there) before heading home, seeing as it's an hour's drive from Cradle Mountain to either Launceston or Devonport, and it didn't cost much dropping off our Hertz rental in a different city. Biggest mistake ever as Devonport was bleak, we simply drove to Launceston for lunch and back prior to flying home.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 October 2010, 04:38 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

There is a QF lounge (or any form of lounge for that matter) in DPO?? Don't remember there being one in LST and I'm sure that is a bigger airport. One memory that I will always have of LST was that there was no luggage belt and we had to collect our stuff from the back of the trolley which was driven directly from the plane to a holding area. The airport was more of a cafe with a landing permit out back!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                There is a QF lounge (or any form of lounge for that matter) in DPO?? Don't remember there being one in LST and I'm sure that is a bigger airport.
                There is a small QF Regional Lounge in DPO. It's a cordoned off section of the terminal. It had a small selection of snacks, beer and small bottles of Jacob's Creek chardonnay. Free wifi. It is not staffed - upon request and verification of status, one of the check in staff will unlock the door for entry.

LST seems to be buzzing these days and certainly seems a tad bigger than what you remember (which sounds much like DPO these days). It was fairly busy when we landed. I'd only arrived at rather than departed from LST so didn't check to see if there's a lounge - but it seems to have been renovated and expanded fairly recently. The terminal was airy and rather modern - has all the mod cons, a newsagent, souvenir shop, and a Hudson's Coffee. The QF presence in LST is limited to 3 x daily Qantaslink turboprops to MEL (same as DPO), but I believe a couple of the LCCs operate there from a few mainland cities, thus spurring some growth.

Here's some pics of the lounge in DPO

Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 October 2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

When I left LST, they just started up flights to BNE and SYD (about 2 x daily). This was with DJ.

Comment

very happy birthday my friend... so glad to hear you had a wonderful time. you definitely deserve it.

Comment

Thank you, taipeiflyer! Catch up soon!

Comment

Happy Birthday Again Keith!

Comment

Happy Birthday mate hope you have a good one

Comment

Happy Birthday, Keith!

Comment

Happy Birthday, KeithBNE!

Comment

Happy Birthay!

Comment

Working...