A Malaysian Whale of a time in Sydney [SIN - SYD via KUL on MH]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Malaysian Whale of a time in Sydney [SIN - SYD via KUL on MH]

Back in the first few days of a very new July 2018, I received a call from my work -- I had to fly to Sydney the next week. They wanted me to preferably book a flight under $1000 (else I would have to justify the expenditure, and "you made me book too late" wouldn't fly), and book it within the day.

Slightly concerned, I immediately began trawling for flights to Sydney. Scoot was $900, Singapore Airlines and Qantas over $1300, and Emirates was the most exorbitant for a change at almost $2000. Almost certain that I would have to endure the 8h journey in the cheapest budget cabin, I got an idea to check Malaysian Airlines. Initial surveys were not positive -- Malaysian too, was $1300... but then, something compelled me to check the promotional fares, a lo and behold! There was an active promotion offering a round trip from Singapore to Sydney for just $600, which is on average only $50 more than Scoot tickets even when booked well in advance.

I couldn't have booked it fast enough when I saw that the KUL-SYD-KUL sectors would be operated by the A380, a type I had yet to fly on. Within minutes the ticket was ready, and I was soon on my way to Sydney for four days.

My routing would be as follows:

SIN - KUL, 12 Jul, MH616, Boeing 737-800

KUL - SYD (+1), 12 Jul, MH123, Airbus A380-800

SYD - KUL, 16 Jul, MH122, Airbus A380-800

KUL - SIN, 16 Jul, MH609, Boeing 737-800

So, with myself excited to discover the A380, and Malaysian’s long-haul product after the various changes having last flown them in 2009, the days passed by until it was the 12th of July.

Flight Details

Flight Number: MH/MAS 616
    Departure Airport: Singapore Changi (SIN, WSSS)
    Scheduled Time of Departure: 1915
    Arrival Airport: Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia (KUL, WMKK)
    Schedule Time of Arrival: 2025
    Cabin Class: Y

After a nice and leisurely light dinner at McDonald’s, I headed airside nice and early at 1810. I wanted to go spotting, and needed to shop for a pair of headphones for the flights (and beyond).

Check-in was a rapid process, with not many people flying MH to KUL at this timing. Most passengers were at the Scoot counters (and I presume, the AK and 3K counters in Terminals 4 and 1 respectively).

It is always nice to see the ceiling fixtures in Terminal 2, but it is getting on my nerves that I am yet to fly from Terminal 3, though I will be departing from Terminal 4 in just a few days!

Being airside had its perk of seeing aircraft at their gates outside of Terminal 1 (and a select few gates at Terminal 3 from Crowne Plaza). Immediately I saw one of the 737-8 MAXs operated by Silkair.

Soon after, it pushed back and I got a clean view of the Lufthansa A350-900. Enjoy this livery while it lasts!

At that moment, an Air India Boeing 787-8 was arriving, and I managed to get a pretty good shot of it despite the LH A350 pushing back at the same time.

I then went over to the other side of the F gates, and saw 9V-OFC being serviced.

There was a beautiful line of tails that included 787s from Scoot, Etihad, and Singapore Airlines, and the South Korean Presidential 747!

Unfortunately, I was told that the flight would be delayed by 1 hour and 25 min, which began to make me nervous if I would make my connection to Sydney for I had to arrive there latest by the next day. My anxiousness was not helped by the fact that MH616 had been getting canceled very often over the past few days, with 2 canceled 737 flights being combined into a singular A330 (or even A380) flight later on.

Thankfully, that was the only delay that would strike my entire journey. I went back to spot 9V-OFC as it became blue hour, and whiled the time away preparing for the work to be done in Sydney.

I was one of the first to enter the lounge when it opened, having been doing my work right outside, and was presented with the sight of an empty gate.

Not long after, though, the inbound flight arrived, and I got a look at my aircraft for the evening.

Aircraft Information

Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
    Engines: 2x CFMI CFM56-7B26
    Config: C16, Y144
    Delivered: 15 Mar 2011

Not too old, but not new either. Thankfully, the aircraft had the Boeing Sky Interior and it was not one of the older ex-Firefly aircraft.

We entered through 1L, and walked through the J cabin. It looked pretty okay, but then I have no experience with J products or what to expect.

The colour scheme in the Y cabin was pretty nice, with the blue J cabin complemented by the red Y seats to form the colours of MH.

The seats looked pretty good, and one would have to be very nitpicky to complain about them for a sector that is often just 45 min long. Legroom was fine, and seat comfortable enough with acceptable recline.

The cabin began filling up quickly, however, with the seatback IFE screens initially turned off.
    Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:01 AM.

I looked out of the window to see a soon-to-be-gone sight from our skies -- the Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200ER.

Not long after doors were closed, the cabin was dimmed to a brilliant blue. BSI gets a thumbs up from me.

The IFE was pretty decent, but I had no use for it other than watching the map with aircraft information during this sector.

Screens were decently sized 9” ones, with a remote controller if you did not wish to use the touchscreen.

We soon pushed back.

Holding for the runway, we had to wait a significant amount for two A380s were departing before our little jet -- one of which was headed to the same country as I would eventually arrive in.

Behind us was a Singapore Airlines A330-300.

Takeoff video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilydqVusbII

In flight, the product was identical to the 737-400 I had traveled on in 2009; orange juice or tea with peanuts.

The city lights are always a pretty sight from the air.

Landing Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHX0QJvi-mU

We landed quickly afterwards.
    Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Our parking was next to a company 737 which was pushing back.

We were at the domestic terminal, however, with the 737 flights not at the larger international terminal. I would have to transfer, which was not an issue, for despite the nearly 1.5h departure delay, I would be well on-time for my next flight.

Flight Details

Flight Number: MH/MAS 123
      Departure Airport: Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia (KUL, WMKK)
      Scheduled Time of Departure: 2345
      Arrival Airport: Kingsford Smith Airport, Australia (SYD, YSSY)
      Schedule Time of Arrival: 1000
      Cabin Class: Y

Taking the underground Skytrain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWcSZ3lQmw0[/YOUTUBE]

Being the first time I had to transfer terminals at KLIA, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the skytrain system was very similar to Changi’s.

What’s more, the cars they use are the same as the old BPLRT cars.

KLIA looks good from the inside, it’s a lot different from the comparatively spartan KLIA2. A lot more spacious as well.

I loved the aesthetics of the C pier as I walked to my A380 gate.

C17 was the gate, and there was already a great queue formed!

Eventually they opened the lounge and I got inside. Decent enough lounge, with a separate escalator for upper-deck passengers, but someone couldn’t stop farting!

Time to board!

Aircraft Information

Aircraft: Airbus A380-800
      Engines: 4x RR Trent 900
      Config: F8, C66, Y420
      Delivered: 15 Nov 2012

The steward checking our boarding passes upon entry.
      Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

A quick look at the exit row seats, I’d imagine these would be superb to be in!

Unfortunately I did not get a window seat, but at least the seats looked nice and plush. Love the red and purple colour too!

Standard 3-4-3 arrangement.

Another look at the cabin before it filled up.

Legroom is great on the A380, I’m already loving it!

The screen is a HD 10.5” display, and it looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, the USB power was non-functional -- same for the seat next to mine. That was really disappointing given that it was the only way to charge your devices.

What’s more, the recline on my seat was completely non-functional. Fairly annoying if you were bigger, but fortunately for me I could live with it. Still unacceptable for just a 6 year-old aircraft, though, on such a long-haul journey.

After we took off, which I barely heard thanks to the excellent sound-deadening, we were served supper with a drink. I took the chicken pie and a Sprite. Nice and warm, and tasty.

The food was filling, and I soon settled in to sleep as it was already well past midnight.

I woke up to a gorgeous sunrise, and I took this picture from the port side. What a scene!

Soon after, we were served breakfast. No menu on Malaysia Airlines, but they ask you what you would like between two choices.

The omelette, potatoes, spinach and beans were great and very filling. I was happy, despite having had to curl up like a fetus to get comfortable!

After breakfast I got up to explore the aircraft, and the view out of 5L was great as the sun came up.
        Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I then went up the rear stairs to explore what I could of the upper deck. The staircase is definitely pretty.

Upper deck was sectioned off, but the purser allowed me access anyway on the condition I would not take any pictures.

A couple of shots out from 5R this time.

In my exploration, I found that 77K was empty! I immediately shifted my stuff once I checked with the stewards it was okay. What was a shame that USB power was broken on this seat too!

Some shots on approach of beautiful Australia.

Over the bay.

Landing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qo3zFRG7E

We landed with such a smooth touchdown that I didn’t even feel anything, or hear the engines spool up for reverse thrust.

Unfortunately on arrival we had to wait 10 min for a gate to open up. Soon after, we taxied past some interesting traffic.
          Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

AirAsia X A330-300 on its way back to KL.

Local traffic!

Air Vanuatu Boeing 737-800.

The iconic Sydney control tower in the distance, with a Virgin Australia 737-800 turning off from the runway.

The Sydney CBD in the distance.

A Virgin 737-800.

A Qantas A330-300 staring straight at us.

Parking next to two Qantas A380-800s.

When the ailerons droop, that’s when you know the flight’s done!

Showing off the functional recline this time, it’s pretty good actually.

The C seats at the front of the plane, would have been great to be in these!

Comment

A look at the aircraft as I deplaned, probably the last one to exit too.

Sydney isn’t as welcoming as Changi, but it’s bright and spacious which is great.

You have to walk through duty-free to get to customs. A bit brusque in their behaviour, but a pretty nice experience. I had to wait ages for my bag to come through, though.

Once I got out though… it was time for spotting! Enjoy these pictures taken from the roof of the staff car park.

Comment

Comment

9M-MNC, my aircraft, departing back to Kuala Lumpur.

All in all, this is an absolute steal for $600 return. The seats (if they work) are great, IFE has a decent selection (albeit sorted horribly haphazardly), you get one full meal and a snack, and the A380 is a brilliant aircraft to travel on -- if every flight could be an A380 I would be extremely happy. You feel neither the takeoff, turbulence, landing, and hear nothing from the engines. Even with a broken recline I found this the most comfortable flight I had been on (I don’t remember my 2002 trip with SQ’s 747) so I would definitely recommend MH, especially at this price.

Gonna release part 2 (in this thread) with the return leg soon!
                  Last edited by shikhargpt; 6 December 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
                    Amazing pic! I wonder what was going on, with at least 7 C-130's in formation...

Comment

Great TR so far,shikhargpt. Your observations about the MH A380 Y correlate with mine; i flew 9M-MNA to LHR and 9M-MND back to KUL in Jul 2017. Fortunately that time i had working seats, and the flights were excellent, though i wish the food had been better and more substantial on those 12-13hr sectors! The breakfast you got looks good though!

Comment

Thanks for the TR shikhargpt. I could tell you really enjoyed both those flights. KUL looks like an amazing airport, similar to DXB. Great planespotting pictures at SYD as well.

Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          Amazing pic! I wonder what was going on, with at least 7 C-130's in formation...
                          Yeah definitely, never seen anything like this before!

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                          Great TR so far,shikhargpt. Your observations about the MH A380 Y correlate with mine; i flew 9M-MNA to LHR and 9M-MND back to KUL in Jul 2017. Fortunately that time i had working seats, and the flights were excellent, though i wish the food had been better and more substantial on those 12-13hr sectors! The breakfast you got looks good though!
                          Thanks! Seems like that's the MH standard then. I'd pay for it half-price but not full!

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          Thanks for the TR shikhargpt. I could tell you really enjoyed both those flights. KUL looks like an amazing airport, similar to DXB. Great planespotting pictures at SYD as well.

Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays.
                          Thanks! Happy Holidays to you too!

Comment

Working...
                          X