Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles Redemption

Hi

We are family of 2 adults and 2 kids (3 year old and 28 mths) and I try to do miles redemption for the 4 of use on business class from SIN to Japan (NRT or HND) but there are 2-3 dates available for redemption per way. If I like to make for round trip, with 4 Pax it is quite hard to find availability. But if I remove 1 adult, there are more dates available.

So my question, can I redeem 1 adult and 2 kids first in the same booking? Then for myself I redeem in another single booking too. Possible?

I can't see a reason why you can't. And when you do get a seat you can call the helpline to merge both bookings into a single reference number.

Of course, the caveat is that demand may get high and you may not get a Saver redemption (I assume you have chosen that for the 3 seats) or worse no seat at all. If you've QPP/TPP status - you will get a higher priority getting that seat.

If you want to be absolutely sure, and don't mind travelling Y, you can consider booking a confirmed Y redemption while waitlisting for the J.

Comment

It's possible, subject of course to availability.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yes alternative is to booked economy and waitlist. Because I see that when I select 2 Pax most time there are available seats in business.

Currently do not have any status as I have miles from credit card spending.

Is sin-hnd or nrt popular routes? Coz I tried to redeem saver like 9 mths in advance but most dates aren't available. Only like 2-3 days over the mth that I want to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by rtan17 View Post
          Currently do not have any status as I have miles from credit card spending.

Is sin-hnd or nrt popular routes? Coz I tried to redeem saver like 9 mths in advance but most dates aren't available. Only like 2-3 days over the mth that I want to travel.
          Not available meaning need to waitlist?

SIN - HND isnt that popular. I recently flew SIN - HND - SIN on redemption J for 2 tickets, albeit they are like last min bookings. The flights were not full in J.

Booking 9 months ahead, you can find space for 4x waitlist, then call to send chaser for your preferred date. I'm going on a 4x J saver award on SQ32, wailtlisted like 10 months out (now confirmed) and now it looks like the flight is full in J. I have no status with SQ either.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
            Not available meaning need to waitlist?

SIN - HND isnt that popular. I recently flew SIN - HND - SIN on redemption J for 2 tickets, albeit they are like last min bookings. The flights were not full in J.

Booking 9 months ahead, you can find space for 4x waitlist, then call to send chaser for your preferred date. I'm going on a 4x J saver award on SQ32, wailtlisted like 10 months out (now confirmed) and now it looks like the flight is full in J. I have no status with SQ either.
            I have made a J Saver waitlist booking SIN-JNB 9.5 months out for two but separated into two PNRs. Do chasers work? Do I send one every day?

Comment

You can also consider redemption for both adults and pay $$$ for the kids as kids price is lower than adults

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                You can also consider redemption for both adults and pay $$$ for the kids as kids price is lower than adults
                Unfortunately no kiddos in this case. I don't want to capitulate and get a poorer valued PEY seat though

Comment

An update. After a week of constant ringing and visiting ION, no award opened up for my waitlists. It doesn't look promising (according to the ION agent) and I do not like to make last minute planning.

HOWEVER, strangely, the outbound a day before my waitlisted date opened up (according to phone agent), even though it is not bookable online (can't be waitlisted even). This is strange.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                    I have made a J Saver waitlist booking SIN-JNB 9.5 months out for two but separated into two PNRs. Do chasers work? Do I send one every day?
                    Ooops, just saw your question today.

Two separate PNRs is good as you'd get more visibility if 1 seat clears. I can't remember if this is the case with SQ, where if 1 seat is available, it is not reserved for you if you have 2 passengers in a PNR. Anyway, I got my PNR of 4 split into 3+1, but both PNR ended up clearing at the same time. I know this is the case for BR as I have a PNR for 4, waitlisted, but tried to book for 3 and it was bookable!

I'd say chaser does works, at least I believe in them (there's no way for me to re-do everything and test what happens if I do not send a chaser). Also, you'd have to be next in the waitlist, I do not think that there is any way they can clear yours before those ahead of you. With the current PPS changes, they get priority (if you're not one of them). Then during your waiting time, they could have leap-frog in front of you. That could be why the agents say it doesn't look promising (either that or the flight is quite full).

I usually request to send one every week for flights that are about 1-2 months away, or every few weeks for those very far out. I also had flights cleared without chasers.

An update. After a week of constant ringing and visiting ION, no award opened up for my waitlists. It doesn't look promising (according to the ION agent) and I do not like to make last minute planning.

HOWEVER, strangely, the outbound a day before my waitlisted date opened up (according to phone agent), even though it is not bookable online (can't be waitlisted even). This is strange.
                    If you still have time, I'd call in for the chaser once every week, no matter how bad the agent thinks it looks. Some chaser works, some don't (at least this is how it seems). My SIN - SFO flight was cleared way in advance, but ended up to be a full flight in J.

For the available day before, if you're fine with the date, then why not book that (or if they can hold it for you first)? IMO, it is also easier for them to clear your waitlist if you already have someone on the flight. I had a flight to Japan where the first time I called for the chaser, I did not mention my companion on the same flight/class of service, the chaser was not very effective. Few days later, I called again, mentioned that and the seat became available within 24 hours (this was for <2 weeks departure and flight was not full)

Comment

Ooops, just saw your question today.

Two separate PNRs is good as you'd get more visibility if 1 seat clears. I can't remember if this is the case with SQ, where if 1 seat is available, it is not reserved for you if you have 2 passengers in a PNR. Anyway, I got my PNR of 4 split into 3+1, but both PNR ended up clearing at the same time. I know this is the case for BR as I have a PNR for 4, waitlisted, but tried to book for 3 and it was bookable!

I'd say chaser does works, at least I believe in them (there's no way for me to re-do everything and test what happens if I do not send a chaser). Also, you'd have to be next in the waitlist, I do not think that there is any way they can clear yours before those ahead of you. With the current PPS changes, they get priority (if you're not one of them). Then during your waiting time, they could have leap-frog in front of you. That could be why the agents say it doesn't look promising (either that or the flight is quite full).

I usually request to send one every week for flights that are about 1-2 months away, or every few weeks for those very far out. I also had flights cleared without chasers.

If you still have time, I'd call in for the chaser once every week, no matter how bad the agent thinks it looks. Some chaser works, some don't (at least this is how it seems). My SIN - SFO flight was cleared way in advance, but ended up to be a full flight in J.

For the available day before, if you're fine with the date, then why not book that (or if they can hold it for you first)? IMO, it is also easier for them to clear your waitlist if you already have someone on the flight. I had a flight to Japan where the first time I called for the chaser, I did not mention my companion on the same flight/class of service, the chaser was not very effective. Few days later, I called again, mentioned that and the seat became available within 24 hours (this was for <2 weeks departure and flight was not full)
                      Thanks Fone. I will keep phoning SQ for chaser, maybe as you suggest, once a week or more. The last time I did it, the agent declined to send a chaser - maybe I have sent too many. When I went to ION, I was also told that folks with status could leapfrog ahead. I have no idea where I am in the queue but after I booked the waitlist, the flight is no longer redeemable at Saver. I looked at the seat map and the plane looks quite empty, except 2 bulkhead rows blocked (A350).

I do not have a confirmed person on this waitlisted flight, so can't really make that case. That said, I am happy with the return dates that are now reserved for me; I haven't ticketed them yet but they are on hold. The agents have also kindly given me bulkhead seats in the new J, so I'm really happy with the flights. Wonder if I should just drop the waitlist, which are there just to extend the (leisure) trip to CPT for 2 more days (instead of 3.5)

Comment

Thanks Fone. I will keep phoning SQ for chaser, maybe as you suggest, once a week or more. The last time I did it, the agent declined to send a chaser - maybe I have sent too many. When I went to ION, I was also told that folks with status could leapfrog ahead. I have no idea where I am in the queue but after I booked the waitlist, the flight is no longer redeemable at Saver. I looked at the seat map and the plane looks quite empty, except 2 bulkhead rows blocked (A350).

I do not have a confirmed person on this waitlisted flight, so can't really make that case. That said, I am happy with the return dates that are now reserved for me; I haven't ticketed them yet but they are on hold. The agents have also kindly given me bulkhead seats in the new J, so I'm really happy with the flights. Wonder if I should just drop the waitlist, which are there just to extend the (leisure) trip to CPT for 2 more days (instead of 3.5)
                        Can't you ask SQ to ticket the confirmed flight, while continuing to waitlist for your preferred flight? I believe date changes are free, or if it requires cancelling, redepositing, and reissuing, something ridiculously minimal like $20. Having said that, two extra days in Cape Town sounds wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                          Can't you ask SQ to ticket the confirmed flight, while continuing to waitlist for your preferred flight? I believe date changes are free, or if it requires cancelling, redepositing, and reissuing, something ridiculously minimal like $20. Having said that, two extra days in Cape Town sounds wonderful.
                          Yes that is possible. I think I just gotta do that, and hope for some reasonably early clearance. But quite frankly if the waitlist doesnt come in soon, I might be disinteested in it (the waitlist). This is partly because I am I am a planner, and I think it can be knarly if the waitlist clears 10 days out (as many have experienced). I will already have flown out on the outbound (its the inbound thats waitlisted) and I don't really look forward to the stress of trying to figure out last minute hotels, redoing the intineraries, and applying for more leave etc while at a game reserve. Another reason is I may not want to take the left over seats - imagine, next to the lavatories - if the flight is full.

I called KF services again yesterday and foolishly asked where I was in the queue. Of course the agent didnt give an answer, but he said he could check for me whether there was seat availability. I said, yes please do that, but at the back of my mind, I was thinking, if there could be a situation of no seat availability, why did they let me waitlist? In any case, he came back from the hold and told me, "I can see there's still availability, but it is not guaranteed. I will put the chance at 50-50". I hesitated at his answer because if one peels it apart, it doesnt really mean much practically. He's just saying the flight is not full (well, we are 10 months out!), but SQ may or may not decide to release seats for awards.

I haven't really dealt with this waitlist game before, because the last time I used KF was about 7 years ago (I just recently returned to it after ditching AC) and I recall seats then were much more readily available. I simply chose the dates with confirmed seating. Now, even though I thought I booked super early, almost all the dates were on waitlist, and the only available dates either left me with too short a holiday, or too long.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, and I understand SQ has every right to set up their programme as they like. These are just my reflections and thoughts over the last couple of weeks after running into multiple hurdles in the search process -- when I (naively) thought it would all be a breeze

Comment

Yes, date changes are free, with no change in rest of the itinerary. The ones with availability might be better, plus your waitlist.

I called KF services again yesterday and foolishly asked where I was in the queue. Of course the agent didnt give an answer, but he said he could check for me whether there was seat availability. I said, yes please do that, but at the back of my mind, I was thinking, if there could be a situation of no seat availability, why did they let me waitlist? In any case, he came back from the hold and told me, "I can see there's still availability, but it is not guaranteed. I will put the chance at 50-50". I hesitated at his answer because if one peels it apart, it doesnt really mean much practically. He's just saying the flight is not full (well, we are 10 months out!), but SQ may or may not decide to release seats for awards.
                            At 10 months out, it is quite unlikely much of the flight is booked, only redemption people book so early. There's a few ways to check "availability" yourself, first is to try to book as many commercial seats as possible. If there is no F on that plane, then it is not likely they will overbook too much for J. The other way to get a feel is to call in and ask for the fare class availability, like C4, D4 etc. If discounted business class is still available it should mean quite open it business.

They do allow waitlist even on a full flight. I had tried to book this flight in J (commercial ticket) for my boss, but it was sold out. However, the waitlist for redemption J is open (ie for the upgrade). The call center says that the redemption is highly unlikely, which I am interpreting as if only someone cancels their ticket and I'm the last on that waitlist.

Comment

Yes, date changes are free, with no change in rest of the itinerary. The ones with availability might be better, plus your waitlist.

At 10 months out, it is quite unlikely much of the flight is booked, only redemption people book so early. There's a few ways to check "availability" yourself, first is to try to book as many commercial seats as possible. If there is no F on that plane, then it is not likely they will overbook too much for J. The other way to get a feel is to call in and ask for the fare class availability, like C4, D4 etc. If discounted business class is still available it should mean quite open it business.

They do allow waitlist even on a full flight. I had tried to book this flight in J (commercial ticket) for my boss, but it was sold out. However, the waitlist for redemption J is open (ie for the upgrade). The call center says that the redemption is highly unlikely, which I am interpreting as if only someone cancels their ticket and I'm the last on that waitlist.
                              Thanks Fone. I tried to book 6 commercial tickets on business saver - no problems at all. But like you said at 10 months out this is to be expected.

How did you know you were last on the wait list for that booking? I was exactly asking the agent that but he couldn't tell me. My only clue was that waitlist option closed after I made the booking. I have no idea whether I took 2 of only 2 waitlisted seats, or I was the 9th and 10th in a list of 10. Makes me wonder also what the ratio between demand and supply exactly is for all these KF premium awards

The other anomaly I recently found was that since PEY does not have standard awards, there could be a perverse situation where Y tickets are costlier (in mileage terms) than PEY - and a Y class redeemer may be none wiser without checking the PEY option!

Comment

Working...
                              X