Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graffiti on MRT train makes headlines on ST

Brilliant!.

I know there are those who will point to the security aspect of this, which they are doing, but the rest of the world has had this stuff going on for years and I can't recall it making the front page headlines in the news.

It's things like this that make Singapore the great little place it is.

My favorite ST headline was

CRIME WAVE HITS SINGAPORE

On reading the article it was referring to three bicycles being stolen in a one month period.

Comment

It is a good wake up call for the security.

The culprit is rather foolish, given our tough laws for vandalism, because he will be jailed and caned.

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
          Anyone convicted of vandalism faces a maximum punishment of up to three years' jail or a fine of up to $2,000 and caning of between three and eight strokes.
          Ouch.

I wonder if the Swiss will try to negotiate with Singapore quietly, or whether they'll try public outroar as Americans did with that boy who vandalized people's cars years ago?
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            I wonder if the Swiss will try to negotiate with Singapore quietly, or whether they'll try public outroar as Americans did with that boy who vandalized people's cars years ago?
            I don't think it will make much difference. They rightly pride themselves on the deterrent effect - the guy is a dickhead for doing that there - and as it's made the front page headlines they will have to make an example.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              ...that boy who vandalized people's cars years ago?
              hahahaha Didn't Michael Fay go on to be arrested for multiple drug and alcohol violations in Florida...including BUTANE abuse?! Another bonehead...but he was a kid when he got caned.

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
              Fricker said he was going to work for the Swiss branch of the company he is working for here, but that plan had now been cancelled.
              This dude is 32! I wonder why his employment plans have now been canceled?
              HUGE AL

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  I don't think it will make much difference.
                  In the case of Michael Fay IIRC, the number of strokes was reduced as a result of the intervention by the US authorities.

Just so that people are aware that this is not a simple caning like in school, here are some somewhat graphic pictures and video of a judicial caning in Malaysia (the video shows the man's backside being turned into a bloody mess with each stroke):

http://www.corpun.com/vidju.htm

Comment

Too bad this dude doesn't have diplomatic immunity... like a certain Romanian... and even then...

Comment

Wonder why there's no "preflight" check before the train leave the depot? Somebody not doing his job?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Too bad this dude doesn't have diplomatic immunity... like a certain Romanian... and even then...
                        Yeah, what happened with him? He did cause a more serious offence didn't he? Like a Hit and Run? And he ran all the way out of the country !

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          hahahaha ..

This dude is 32! I wonder why his employment plans have now been canceled?
                          Probably the two were on a DARE, and were probably pissed out of the minds when they did this.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                            Yeah, what happened with him? He did cause a more serious offence didn't he? Like a Hit and Run? And he ran all the way out of the country !
                            That is a tragedy and a disgrace. He had (allegedly ) been drinking when he knocked them over killing one. He had diplomatic status but left the country anyway and he clearly will not be going back.

Comment

Even then the Romanians are 'going through the motions' it seems... anyway, that should be another thread - just thought it was interesting to think about the parallels, seeing as both are 'foreigners' who've essentially done the dodgy... last I heard he was under a 25-day probation or something... too busy to Google today

Comment

Working...
                              X