No announcement yet.

Suggestion: Young Flyer Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forums need traffic to survive and a lot of the traffic comes from people asking the same old questions, over ad over again. And of course it is wrong to assume that youth means ignorance. I am not in the first flush of youth and started serious redemption and international flying a couple of years ago. I am still finding my feet and would happily learn from younger but more experienced posters.

Perhaps it might be an idea to have a "sandbox" forum where learners - young and old alike - can post stupid questions and see whether they get answers. Then more experienced members could choose whether to dipinto the sandbox or not - but would have no excuse to be irritated by what they find there. And anyone could post in the main forum if/when they want but risk being flamed if their question is really stupid.

Personally, though, I'd rather see people in dire need in an emergency feel they could ask for help anywhere on the site, even starting a new thread, than have their emergency go unresolved. Sorting a personal crisis is way more important than keeping the threads looking neat. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
      Forums need traffic to survive and a lot of the traffic comes from people asking the same old questions, over ad over again.
      Mr H, thank you for your contribute.

I quote this sentence of yours, since I would like to clarify (and re-assure you) that SQT lives everyday thanks to contributions from SQtalkers and founders. They are the men (and the women) allowing SQT to exist, financially speaking.

Thanks to God, we don't have to reach any traffic limit or hits to survive (and this explains the total lack of advertising on the site)

=)
      Have a great day.
      Luke
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
        Forums need traffic to survive and a lot of the traffic comes from people asking the same old questions, over ad over again. And of course it is wrong to assume that youth means ignorance.

Personally, though, I'd rather see people in dire need in an emergency feel they could ask for help anywhere on the site, even starting a new thread, than have their emergency go unresolved. Sorting a personal crisis is way more important than keeping the threads looking neat. IMO.
        Thanks for your input Mr H. I (personally) especially agree with what I've quoted from your post. Not everyone has enough experience with a message board to be familiar with using the search function, and it can often be hard to determine if a topic has been discussed before if threads are old or if discussions are buried within a much longer thread with a broader focus.

There's a clear difference between people who have genuine inquiries and people who are deliberately being disruptive though, and as we've seen in the past on SQTalk (and no doubt on other forums) - age isn't necessarily the sole determinant of this.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 March 2009, 10:01 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Not everyone has enough experience with a message board to be familiar with using the search function, and it can often be hard to determine if a topic has been discussed before if threads are old or if discussions are buried within a much longer thread with a broader focus.
          Is there a way we can have a better "Search" section within the FAQ's? Perhaps listing some tips on searching? Also, is there any way to make the search a bit more robust? Does the wildcard of "*" even work? Even as an experienced user, I find the process quite cumbersome. Just a suggestion...
          HUGE AL

Comment

Hello,
            the search function is a feature included in the VB software. Except some basic settings, there's no space or possibility to make significant changes without strong modification to the script. I'm very unlikely to edit it, particularly because incompatibility or issues could rise particularly with upgrades and new releases.

Differently from many forums where the minimum lenght for search is 4 letters, we are allowing the 3 letters search that's very important since the airport codes are now included.

Regarding the possibility of having a better section within the FAQ's I'm not sure what you mean but I'm ok.

FAQs can be easily added or removed.

I'm ready to welcome any things to add in this area. AS well, I'm happy you offered yourself to prepare some new questions to be added.

Thank for your suggestion and your help.
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Working...
            X