• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more..........
    http://www.newmajestichotel.com/

Comment

Thanks 9V-JKL.

I was asking around about the New Majestic, but no one seems to know anything about it. FWIW the tripadvisor people seem to like it though.

I've stayed at 1929 as I noted above, and would not recommend the property. The rooms are nice, but there walls are very thin and you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside the window, the corridors, and the rooms around you... (I do mean everything! ). I'm also a light sleeper so it was difficult to get to sleep if I was sober.The staff insisted on waking me up to ask whether I wanted my room refreshed, despite the do not disturb sign. And this happened not once, but every day of my stay! They also took a very long time to respond to any requests, even the simplest of requests like a fresh dental kit - which is an indication of understaffing.

I haven't eaten at the restautant, but I will check it out next time I'm in SIN based on your recommendation. Just don't stay there.

Oh and the Chinatown location is convenient to certain favourite hangouts of mine.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 October 2007, 10:50 AM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        I've stayed at 1929 as I noted above, and would not recommend the property. The rooms are nice, but there walls are very thin and you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside the window, the corridors, and the rooms around you... (I do mean everything! ). I'm also a light sleeper so it was difficult to get to sleep if I was sober.The staff insisted on waking me up to ask whether I wanted my room refreshed, despite the do not disturb sign. And this happened not once, but every day of my stay! They also took a very long time to respond to any requests, even the simplest of requests like a fresh dental kit - which is an indication of understaffing.
        1929 and New Majestic have the same owner. You may or may not infer similar service quality from that...

Comment

Well, if you are talking about boutique hotels, there's the new Link Hotel at Tiong Bahru, which I'm not going to recommend. Firstly, the location is not ideal. Secondly, the room looks cheap from the photos on their website. As you might know, photos are most likely the best you will see. Reality hurts all the time. So if the photos are already substandard, I'm not sure how the actual room is going to be like. Moreover, the name itself is cheesy enough not for me to stay there.

P.S. However, the price does suit Keith's budget.
          Last edited by nykelaz; 1 October 2007, 06:54 PM.
          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

It sounds to me like the Conrad is what you want.

I agree with the comments above about Le Meridian in the city. Has anyone tried Le Meridian Changi?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
              It sounds to me like the Conrad is what you want.

I agree with the comments above about Le Meridian in the city. Has anyone tried Le Meridian Changi?
              I heard several favourable comments (for that hotel level) from friends who stayed there when it was still part of Starwood, but I haven't heard anything since the change. There are several recent entries on Trip Advisor which might be helpful, though.
              Last edited by cawhite; 12 October 2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Actually the formerly know as LeMeridien Changi IMHO is a hassle. I remembered that the shuttle schedule is about every 30 minutes. If you want to go to the city, you need to take taxi. Thus, more make sense to just stay somewhere in the city.

Comment

The only good thing I can think of is that right across the road is a hawker center with some very good food.

I had a chance to see the hotel prior to its opening and find the rooms quite nice in decor. But they have a large variation of room shapes due to the building structure.

Comment

Mr. Megatop and I had dinner at the Restaurant at the New Majestic last December, and we were really pleased. The service was spotty, typical of Chinese restaurants in the West. But the fusion food was fantastic. One appetizer in particular was so good that, even though both of us had ordered it at the beginning of the meal, as we neared the end of the meal I asked the waiter to bring us a third order. It was the wasabi-encrusted flash-fried prawn and Peking Duck on seared foie gras. YUMMY!

We've tried three of the top hotels in Singapore, in the following order: RC, FS, Fullerton. RC and FS were basically equals in my book, both very good but neither spectacular, and each with its own more or less minor drawbacks. Fullerton was roundly disappointing. So next time, in two months, we're going to give the New Majestic a try. What we saw of the hotel when we had dinner made it look nice, and I definitely like the feel of the neighborhood. Just as for KeithMEL, it's close to quite a number of places Mr. Megatop and I might go for a tipple.

Comment

My SIN hotel of choice is the InterContinental - their Ambassador programme has its pros and cons.. my favourite pro (as a Royal Ambassadsor) is the free Minibar! Suite upgrades are usual, as is Club access. But it's not boutique.. or chic.. it's understated calm and relaxing. And full of business folk...
                      But I like it. Hic!

Comment

Hmmmm, I suggest the Swissotel the Stamford. On our honeymoon in 1999 we stayed in room 4160, then every year since we have stayed in 6259. We travel to Singapore at least twice every year & the hotel always recognises us & puts us in our requested room 6259. However, our trip in May we were on level 65, Stamford Crest Suite, which was brilliant. With a balcony view from Marina bay all the way around to the Istana from levels 62 or 65 certainly won't see me complaining.

We have also stayed once each in the Conrad & Inter Continental when there for short 3-4 day trips for weddings etc. Very nice hotels, so can't complain about them but the location isn't as spot on the the Stamford.

The Raffles hotel was exceptional in 2005. Felt like we were transformed back to the 1920's.

As for the rooms other than Stamford Crest Suites, sure the room decore is a bit dated comparitively but it is more than made up for by the location & ammenities.
                        Last edited by 744ER; 18 October 2007, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, anyone tried the new Naumi Hotel at Seah Street? It was formely known as Metropole Hotel, but has renamed after it's renovation. Think their new target customers are those from the afluent group. It looks cool from the pictures in the web. Location wise is also pretty good. Maybe some kind soul would like to try it and tell us how it was?
                          Last edited by nykelaz; 18 October 2007, 07:57 PM.
                          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

I searched and this seems the best place to put this...

I just read on TOF that the LM Meridien in Singapore will leave SPG after this year. This'll just leave the Sheraton and the St Regis.

Comment

Cool, now that totally removes any incentive to stay there.

Can anyone tell me if all the rooms in the Hilton are nice and modern like this? Or only certain rooms are refurbished? Because someone told me most rooms are still unrefurbished (per tripadvisor pics). And if the latter - what are my chances of getting a refurbished room as HH Gold?

I'm also v tempted to check out the Majestic...
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Not all the rooms are refurbished at the Hilton. Chances for an ug depend on availability. As a Diamond my success rate has improved in recent years after they expanded the lounge size and the number of executive floors. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X