• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defeating the no-cabotage rule on QF JFK-LAX

KeithMEL1985
    Founding SQTalker
    Defeating the no-QF cabotage JFK-LAX rule
    « Thread started on: Oct 29th, 2006, 12:48am »

Hopefully there are people familiar with this in here since I'd prefer not to post this in TOF.

Planning a DONE4 for a friend. He wants to avoid AA 'at all costs.' As you might know, QF has a JFK-LAX-SYD (QF108) flight, but does not have rights for JFK-LAX alone. One can however book QF108 if they're using it to connect to another QF/oneworld flight out of the US. Friend is doing JFK-LAX, then staying for a few days in the general Cali area, before heading back to Australia. He'd prefer not to fly AA for the transcon.

He could theoretically get QF108 for just JFK-LAX like this:
    - Book QF108 JFK-LAX
    - Book QF26 (LAX-MEL), departing the day after. QF26 departs within 24 hours after the arrival of QF108 in LAX so he's still a connecting pax.
    - Friend will have to convince check in agent at JFK to check him in to just LAX, as he'd be conceivably checking into an airport hotel for the night and thus needing his baggage.
    - Upon arrival at LAX, friend will have to call up issuing carrier (QF) to cancel QF26 and reschedule the LAX-MEL sector to whenever he's ready to head back to MEL. DONE4 is pretty flexible and he'd only have to pay a small fee to reissue the ticket.

In reality though, is this all possible/feasible?

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2006, 12:52am by KeithMEL1985 »

shortfinals
    Founding SQTalker
    Re: Defeating the no-QF cabotage JFK-LAX rule
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 01:00am »

not so sure how DONEs/AONEs work for OW, but with CRWSTARS - i remember being able to book on UA MEL-SYD alone. As you know, I also played this on full fares, but I always connected in and out of SYD before and after on SQ as a direct connection. When I did it as part of a CRWSTAR - both MEL and SYD were stops, and counted as such. Not sure if it's relevant, but maybe it's the same for DONE's?

KeithMEL1985
    Founding SQTalker
    Re: Defeating the no-QF cabotage JFK-LAX rule
    « Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 01:07am »
    Hmm, interesting. Sure sounds like a CRW is more flexible in allowing UA MEL-SYD to be ticketed.
    LAX cannot be a stopover, regardless of whether it's a regular ticket or a DONE/AONE I think. QF agents have made the mistake of issuing JFK-LAX QF108 with stopover at LAX before, only to have the poor pax being denied a BP at JFK.

Oh well, I'm sure my mate has travel insurance...

The other (safer) option is to put him on Traitor Air JFK-YVR, then connect to QF YVR-SFO. I wonder if he's wanting to avoid AA that desperately.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2006, 01:11am by KeithMEL1985 »
Working...
X