Just a LukeGT Question About "Reply"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a LukeGT Question About "Reply"

Just curious as to why, if you want to reply to a thread with just an emoticon and hit the carriage return a few times before inserting, does SQT or vBulletin erase your carriage returns completely so that you have to re-insert them.

Strange as this didn't happen about three months ago.
    HUGE AL

erm.... I didn't understand anything....please, very basic english
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Test.

Comment

Yes. Entering new line is treated the same as " " (space) - extraneous bits are auto-removed by the software.

Comment

There is a way to fool it though - quote this post to see how.

Comment

[Deleted- wrong ]

Comment

Kiwi, technically speaking I think yours is the real carriage return function.

I've read a little bit here and there, and discovered an important difference.

the Enter Key/Return Key (safe of some rare cases) works as "new line" code. [ASCII 10] -->Line Feed
              This has nothing to do with the carriage return.
              The carriage return is only available using alt+enter/alt+return. [ASCII 13]

VB is able to detect the carriage return, while considers the new lines as a waste of space.

p.s.
              anyway, a very interesting thread
              Last edited by LukeGT; 1 July 2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                I've read a little bit here and there, and discovered an important difference.

the Enter Key/Return Key (safe of some rare cases) works as "new line" code. [ASCII 10] -->Line Feed
                This has nothing to do with the carriage return.
                The carriage return is only available using alt+enter/alt+return. [ASCII 13]

VB is able to detect the carriage return, while considers the new lines as a waste of space.
                Ahhh...so LukeGT, if I understand you correctly, the alt+enter will be recognized; the simple Enter Key will not. Correct? Kind of strange as both are recognized when inputting text and not emoticons.

Thanks!

p.s.
                anyway, a very interesting thread
                I always aim to please.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  Ahhh...so LukeGT, if I understand you correctly, the alt+enter will be recognized; the simple Enter Key will not. Correct? Kind of strange as both are recognized when inputting text and not emoticons.
                  It's very complex, because they have different functions. In most cases, they are similar or the same. We should go back to old typewriter to understnd what happens.

I will suggest you 2 experiments:
                  Try "enter" and "alt+enter" on MSN: look at the effect. the former is a proram instruction, the latter is a writing instruction.

Open Word and select to show formatting signs: now prompt the same command and look at how MSWord reflects them.

There's no a general rule unfortunately.

Comment

Also just noticed that when commenting with an emoticon on the first quotation, vB doesn't care what you do. It's the one after that where the distinction begins.

This IS quite the strange nitpick topic, huh?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      Also just noticed that when commenting with an emoticon on the first quotation, vB doesn't care what you do. It's the one after that where the distinction begins.

This IS quite the strange nitpick topic, huh?
                      Maybe they want to encourage comments that are more than just emoticons.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Maybe they want to encourage comments that are more than just emoticons.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Kiwi, technically speaking I think yours is the real carriage return function.
                          Ah no - see the quoted post for how I forced the lines - actually any formatting code does the job.

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post

There is a way to fool it though - quote this post to see how.

Comment

Kiwi, tell me please...
                            I cut and pasted your post on word by showing formatting signs and word reflected it as carriage return.

Comment

I just hit enter. Perhaps it is word that converts it?

Comment

Working...
                              X