Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United & Other US-Based Airlines To Raise FFP Requirements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/bu...loyalty12.html

Delta Air Lines and United Airlines are tightening their frequent flier loyalty program rules, bringing in minimum spending requirements for some members and demanding that they fly further to earn a business or first-class reward ticket.

In so doing they are taking a lead from lower-cost competitors that already reward regular passengers based on how much they spend rather than how far they fly. Industry analysts expect American Airlines and perhaps other international carriers to follow suit.

The title "United & Other US-Based Airlines To Raise FFP Requirements" is misleading, since the changes described already took place as of this year.

My first reaction of seeing the title is "AGAIN?!", but I see that NYT is just being late to the party.

Comment

I know this may not be the best place to ask about UA but I am sure there are enough UA experts here.

My wife and I will be travelling with our 2 daughters, aged 4 and aged 2 at the time of travel.

We will be on the 747 in Global First and wondered if anyone could offer a recommendation on best seats for our family of 4.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

I was thinking 3A, 3C, 4A, and 4C. Or would rows 1&2 work better, from what I've seen online, 2A does not have a direct view of 2K.

Comment

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
        My wife and I will be travelling with our 2 daughters, aged 4 and aged 2 at the time of travel.

We will be on the 747 in Global First and wondered if anyone could offer a recommendation on best seats for our family of 4.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._747-400_B.php

I was thinking 3A, 3C, 4A, and 4C. Or would rows 1&2 work better, from what I've seen online, 2A does not have a direct view of 2K.
        You know my first recommendation is to take any other carrier. Heck, even in J! UA is just stressful.

That said, if you must fly the crappy carrier, I would go with rows 1 & 2 and have the whole front of the cabin to yourselves. Yes, 2A does not have a direct view of 2K, but the seats have quite a bit of privacy either way. Put one adult in each of the seats in row 2 and have the children in row 1. This way, there is good proximity for the entire family. Row 4 gets quite loud with the galley and lights -- especially since the FAs are not very caring.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Will be flying to HNL and the only other alternative would be on OZ but that will be just too troublesome with an additional transit and also the seats are not lie flat.

Will take your advice and go with rows 1 and 2 on UA.

Comment

While OZ will not have flat beds, the cabin crew will more than make up for it. They look after young kids very well.

As an example, once on sfo-icn, purser set up a table at door 1L for my daughter and another kid to play. They provided a whole bunch of toys as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              While OZ will not have flat beds, the cabin crew will more than make up for it. They look after young kids very well.

As an example, once on sfo-icn, purser set up a table at door 1L for my daughter and another kid to play. They provided a whole bunch of toys as well.
              Not sure if what you received was the norm, but on several of my OZ J flights, they didn't really help out, not that I was expecting any help. One occasion, the leader actually scolded one of the cabin crew for staying with us for what she felt was too long.

With regards to the toys, it has always been the same cut out jig saw kind of toy, nothing else.

SQ and NH on the other hand provide really superior service when it comes to kids on board.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                You know my first recommendation is to take any other carrier. Heck, even in J! UA is just stressful.

That said, if you must fly the crappy carrier...

... especially since the FAs are not very caring.
                I was amused when I read the above. I can't believe after so many years the UA management still hasn't done anything to improve the airliine. They have been advertising in The Business Times of late. Apparently they are doing a promo with the local travel agencies, offering what appear to be great Colorado holidays for families, while boasting about their NRT-DEN direct flights.

Comment

Totally agree with this statement. Mrs fone still prefers SQ Y over UA J, due to more entertainment options and better food. I still prefer the J seat over Y seat though.

Comment

While OZ will not have flat beds...
                    There aren't flat beds on the route to HNL?

Not sure if what you received was the norm, but on several of my OZ J flights, they didn't really help out, not that I was expecting any help. One occasion, the leader actually scolded one of the cabin crew for staying with us for what she felt was too long.

With regards to the toys, it has always been the same cut out jig saw kind of toy, nothing else.

SQ and NH on the other hand provide really superior service when it comes to kids on board.
                    Hmmm...I've always found OZ to be on par with SQ and NH. One time when I was sick (thanks S'pore air conditioning), the FA made me a pseudo Dolsot BiBimBap -- best effort I've seen!

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                    I was amused when I read the above. I can't believe after so many years the UA management still hasn't done anything to improve the airliine. They have been advertising in The Business Times of late. Apparently they are doing a promo with the local travel agencies, offering what appear to be great Colorado holidays for families, while boasting about their NRT-DEN direct flights.
                    In all fairness (and I LOATHE UA), their routing is insane and the unions don't help matters at all.

Originally posted by fone View Post
                    Totally agree with this statement. Mrs fone still prefers SQ Y over UA J, due to more entertainment options and better food. I still prefer the J seat over Y seat though.
                    Yeah...uh...I think UA's J seat would win me over whY ANY DAY.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

There aren't flat beds on the route to HNL?
                      IIRC they send their A330s there. You'd need to be on a 772 to dream of having a flat bed.

Comment

They have the inclined flat beds on that route similar to those on SQ A330s.

Well I guess some of their Cabin Crew really genuinely want to serve, I just personally don't find them on par with SQ and NH. Of course I believe the standard of SQ has declined over the years but I can still board a flight a expect a certain standard of service, I guess it is the consistency.

Comment

I have always had exceptional service on OZ.

Comment

I have always had exceptional service on OZ.
                            Well then I will have to guess it must be the route then. It does seem that the crew on SIN-ICN-SIN are generally better than the crew on ICN-FUK-ICN or ICN-HNL-ICN routes with the exception of one ICN-HNL flight where I have to agree that all the cabin crew were exceptional.

But I did post previously that I felt the same way on SQ as well that the crew serving the FUK route appeared to be newer staff and service was off at times.

I don't know how the rostering is done, so I can't comment more but the above are just my observations.

Comment

We just did SIN-FUK recently and had great service on SQ. Have also found myself liking the OZ crew, but notice that they serve fellow Koreans with exceptional respect (perhaps out of fear of getting scolded by pax, as I observed once)

Comment

Working...
                              X