Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which USA route will get the A380 first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which USA route will get the A380 first?

Was wondering if there have been any updates or info as to when is the earliest the A380 will be deployed by SQ to the USA and which is the first route that will get it?
    Was thinking of making a redemption booking before they change it to unrestricted awards which require insane number of miles

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by zander; 30 June 2008, 01:21 PM.

Probably SIN-HKG-SFO, but possibly SIN-NRT-LAX.

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
      Was wondering if there have been any updates or info as to when is the earliest the A380 will be flying
      Thanks a lot.
      Sure, it's public information: DXB-JFK

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        My bad...Didn't state that I was looking at SQ flights.
        No Emirates for me

Comment

hmmm. tricky one. I've got a route in mind but something in my thoughts (and a few others as well I think) is telling me that it will not be a North American city that gets the upgauge from 9V-SKG.

If you want to gamble and try your luck though, I think you'll have better luck SIN-HKG-SFO.

Prepare to be disappointed though.

p/s: I don't think LAX will get it for 2 reasons. An A380 is already operating to NRT, and QF starts A380 ops to LAX in October. Duplications in more ways than one.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Did EK bring the date forward? Last I checked (months ago), QF's MEL-LAX and SYD-LAX were going to be first.

Comment

EK's first DXB-JFK-DXB on 1 Oct 2008

Comment

Beats QF by 19 days.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  EK's first DXB-JFK-DXB on 1 Oct 2008
                  According to the website, EK's first A380 DXB - JFK - DXB is on 1 August 2008. See the link.

Comment

oh i didn't notice that one. I was all the while looking at EK201 which upgauges from 77W to 380 on 1 October. my bad.

Comment

i think the SIN - HKG - SFO route will get the A380.

Comment

Any idea when they will start? I see SQ is getting another on in September. And then one in Jan 2009. Will they start this year SIN-HKG-SFO?

Comment

Originally posted by bagold View Post
                          Any idea when they will start? I see SQ is getting another on in September. And then one in Jan 2009. Will they start this year SIN-HKG-SFO?
                          not impossible, but highly improbable.

the september (subject to delay) A380, 9V-SKF will most likely be deployed in a manner which will upgauge SQ318/321 (SIN-LHR) to a daily A380.

It's a matter of time before SQ1/2 will get an A380 - almost all current 744 routes will see the 744s replaced by A380s.

Whether SKG/SKH will trigger the upgauge of the SFO route, its anyone's guess. But do not be surprised if SQ pulls another fast one and upgauges a MEL flight ahead of an American route.

as SQFG says: Yield is king.

Comment

airbus is to deliver sia 1 a380 in september 08 & 2 in jan 2009.

but the way minds at the boardroom go, MEL has a better chance than SFO for SKG & SKH.

very disappointed to see the a380 slip-off the skeds with SQ 1/2. now wonder if it at all makes it in 2009.

yields matter, but SQ lost a wonderful opportunity to debut the big bird to the american continent & showcase its inflight product prowess. after all, the SIN-HKG-SFO is a decent money maker for SQ & not a run of the mill route like SIN-FRA-JFK.

Comment

I think they're not sure entirely yet. I've heard MEL mentioned, along with SQ308/319.

All highly speculative, and a bit of fun - but in 3-4 years when all the planes are delivered it'll be moot

Comment

Working...
                              X