No announcement yet.

Free Broadband: Hotel/Hotel Chain List: Please report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are a member (even their most basic level) of the Fairmont Hotel's loyalty program, you will get complimentary wifi while staying at all their hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Greetings from the Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, Le Royal Club lounge (yes, that's really the proper name, with 2x "Royals").
      I am sure it was free when I was there 18 months ago ?.

Nice lounge but I do not like Hotels that knock on the door at 1am to deliver laundry when clearly marked 'Do No Disturb', are told to p*ss off and then go back and ring.

Charging for wifi in the lounge just sums that place up.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I am sure it was free when I was there 18 months ago ?.
        Dunno about that but it sure ain't now. Typing this on their "free use" PC in the corner.

Fortunately I didn't have any late night dry cleaning...

Comment

...this hotel doesn't even have free Wi-Fi in the Club lounge, let alone the room!!! Was told I could pay RMB100 for 8 hours!!!
          Hahahaha Welcome to Shanghai!

...but I do not like Hotels that knock on the door at 1am to deliver laundry when clearly marked 'Do No Disturb', are told to p*ss off and then go back and ring.
          You and I must be staying at the same places...except with me, it's Housekeeping that wakes me up at 9am asking to clean the room. When I ask if they saw the DND, they respond, "Yes, sir." Gotta love it.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Most of the business hotels provide free internet (including wi-fi), Holiday Inn, Hilton, some Westin, Marriott Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Staybridge, Comfort Inn (I think, it is the standard). The hotels located by business district normally offer free internet. The hotels by the resorts or vacation places do not normally offer this (except those mentioned above)

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Hahahaha Welcome to Shanghai!
              Guess it's back to the Westin Bund for me, where this wasn't an issue... Wanted to try the Le Meridien for its slightly better location. Oh well.

Comment

Guess it's back to the Westin Bund for me, where this wasn't an issue... Wanted to try the Le Meridien for its slightly better location. Oh well.
                I am back in Shanghai in December unfortunately and was thinking of trying the Westin. I ain't going back to LM that's for sure.

Comment

I am back in Shanghai in December unfortunately and was thinking of trying the Westin. I ain't going back to LM that's for sure.
                  What about the Hyatt on the Bund or the Park Hyatt? I've actually heard both are quite nice. MAN Flyer, you won't have the internet issue and milehighj, if you status match, you won't either.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

What about the Hyatt on the Bund or the Park Hyatt? I've actually heard both are quite nice.
                    I've visited but not stayed at the Park Hyatt on a previous visit. Very nice property, fantastic views, just in the wrong part of town (Pudong).

Not been to Hyatt on the Bund (Puxi), but for my business meetings etc. it's in an inferior location to both the Le Meridien and Westin Bund.

MAN Flyer, you won't have the internet issue and milehighj, if you status match, you won't either.
                    I actually have GP Plat... Did a status match once before but my current travel plans mean earning top tier at either SPG or Hyatt, and I still swing most of my biz to Starwood...

Now coming to that I just stayed at Hyatt Regency Tokyo. Was told I could receive the new free Internet access benefit via the wired service in the room. However wireless was chargeable...

Comment

Reporting back here:
                      - Four Points in Darling Harbour provides free internet only on the two PCs (that seem forever occupied) next to the reception. At least they upgraded me to a Darling Harbour view room.
                      - Sheraton on the Park (Hyde Park) charges silly fees for the Internet, won't even bother next time. No upgrade - wanted 40AUD to face Hyde Park. Having already lived in 3 places nearby years ago, I willingly opted to go without the view.

Comment

I've visited but not stayed at the Park Hyatt on a previous visit. Very nice property, fantastic views, just in the wrong part of town (Pudong).
                        Understand. It's inconvenient for me as well.

...I just stayed at Hyatt Regency Tokyo. Was told I could receive the new free Internet access benefit via the wired service in the room. However wireless was chargeable...
                        Which is why I always bring:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGR101...9593492&sr=8-1

to Asia with me. At the SR S'pore, their wireless didn't reach the room.

BTW, how was the stay at the HR Tokyo?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

BTW, how was the stay at the HR Tokyo?
                          80's era Tokyo hotel with tiny rooms, mega-chandeliers in the lobby. Did the job though. Decent location, much more reasonably priced than the GH ($ x2) or PH ($ x3), especially considering that we only used the room to crash out at night.

Much prefer Roppongi Hills though, so GH is probably my future pick for location and price.

Comment

Which is why I always bring:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGR101...9593492&sr=8-1

to Asia with me.
                            Thanks for the tip. Yeah looks like a travel router is now tops on my To-Buy list... You happy with the Netgear?

Comment

80's era Tokyo hotel with tiny rooms, mega-chandeliers in the lobby. Did the job though. Decent location, much more reasonably priced than the GH ($ x2) or PH ($ x3), especially considering that we only used the room to crash out at night.
                              I thought they renovated recently...hmmm...disappointing to hear...

Much prefer Roppongi Hills though, so GH is probably my future pick for location and price.
                              Yeah, I like the location there as well. Along with the bar (the one outside the hotel, but considered a part of it) as they have the BEST price on Krug by the glass and a hell of a happy hour!

Thanks for the tip. Yeah looks like a travel router is now tops on my To-Buy list... You happy with the Netgear?
                              VERY! But perhaps this stems from the fact that they were next door to my old office during the dotcom days. I've had several of them throughout the years and have had very few issues. Whenever something went wrong (and I think it's only happened twice) an email to their tech support in India was responded to immediately.

However, since the router I referenced is no longer manufactured, I might suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB321LL-...9601234&sr=1-8

as you get the Draft N speed...and it's quite compact. One of my engineers had it and always raved.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

I thought they renovated recently...hmmm...disappointing to hear...
                                Well the rooms definitely did get a re-fit not too long ago, but (1) nothing they can do about the tiny size of the rooms; (2) frankly the new decor was very basic compared to other more upmarket Hyatt labels (you know which ones... ).

It's a fine hotel for convenience and decent price, but the standard room category isn't somewhere you'd want to spend a lot of time...

Yeah, I like the location there as well. Along with the bar (the one outside the hotel, but considered a part of it) as they have the BEST price on Krug by the glass and a hell of a happy hour!
                                You got my attention there.

However, since the router I referenced is no longer manufactured, I might suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB321LL-...9601234&sr=1-8

as you get the Draft N speed...and it's quite compact. One of my engineers had it and always raved.
                                Gotcha. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X