No announcement yet.

LHR (pre-T5) Airport Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified the OP, jhm. Thanks for the suggestions.

One clarification:
    Originally posted by jhm View Post
    BAA are required to screen a certain percentage of shoes so they do this by designating certain security lines as "shoes off".
    This is true for, say, T4, but in T3 I don't think it is. Have you observed "shoes off" lines there?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      This is true for, say, T4, but in T3 I don't think it is. Have you observed "shoes off" lines there?
      Unfortunately, I haven't been through T3 in a long time so have no recent experience of that. Are all lines - without exception (unless waived in the instances you've seen) - "shoes off" ?

Comment

Unfortunately, I haven't been through T3 in a long time so have no recent experience of that. Are all lines - without exception (unless waived in the instances you've seen) - "shoes off" ?
        Referring to T3? Well, it's a mess with all lines post immigration check; into the shoes-off scrum lines. Then it is a random choice. If you do not want to be check, then head extreme left or right of the immigration queues.

Either the BAA goons check all shoes or don't...what is the point of effective terrorist deterrent if you do random checks?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
          Referring to T3? Well, it's a mess with all lines post immigration check; into the shoes-off scrum lines. Then it is a random choice. If you do not want to be check, then head extreme left or right of the immigration queues.

Either the BAA goons check all shoes or don't...what is the point of effective terrorist deterrent if you do random checks?
          Except I don't think the goons pick randomly. If it were random, I wouldn't object. But they seem to sample more strongly from passengers like schoolchildren on group trips, or the elderly wearing orthopedic shoes -- you know, clear terrorist material. On numerous occasions I've seen the goons back off when a passenger strides purposefully towards the Travelex counter on the left.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 24 August 2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

How come I am not surprised? Maybe these groups treat the goons with respect and made eye contact.

More often than not, everytime I made eye contact to acknowlege the person's presence (be it HMCE Customs or BAA goons), I get pulled over. If you ignore them, treat them like dirt, they don't bother me that much.

Ironic or what?

Comment

You must look very dodgy, SQFAN! I can't recall ever having been stopped by UK customs.

Comment

You must look very dodgy, SQFAN! I can't recall ever having been stopped by UK customs.
                Was stopped at ABZ and it coincided with back to uni time and foot& mouth. The HMCE must have assumed I was a uni student bringing back lots of goodies. He he he

Noticed a few times I get a cursory glance from the HMCE. Everyone here wear so dark clothing and so so drab looking. I just happened to stand out maybe because I was wearing my cream coloured safari shirt.

Nowadays, I just wear company jacket, look pissed off & no worries since.

Comment

For those who haven't seen it (like myself who only just came across it this evening), here's a microsite about LHR T5 opening next March:

http://www.terminal5.ba.com/en/

I hope they can live up to the expectations they're creating! For example:

* Terminal 5 offers seamless check-in, with 96 Check-in Kiosks designed to eliminate queuing

* The floor to ceiling windows give outstanding views of the runways, aircraft, countryside and even Windsor Castle and Wembley Stadium

* There will be huge improvements in punctuality and baggage now that we’ve brought nearly all British Airways flights together in one terminal

* We’ve got the largest, and possibly the most luxurious, airline lounge complex in the world, large enough to cater for 2,500 passengers

Comment

If you're the first SQTalker to experience the wonders of T5, promise you'll post pics and your usual well-thought out impressions, jhm?

Comment

Thanks, jjpb3. I'm on the first flight out on the first day T5 is open (LHR-CDG) so assuming I can cope with the very early start, I'll try to take some pictures. It could be chaos!

Comment

Thanks, jjpb3. I'm on the first flight out on the first day T5 is open (LHR-CDG) so assuming I can cope with the very early start, I'll try to take some pictures. It could be chaos!
                        You mean SNAFU? (I think the term was coined with LHR in mind!)

Comment

Or FUBAR perhaps?

Comment

Certainly I will get rejected by those kiosks. No use for me.
                            But indeed, you should make a report with full of pictures to make us drooling over the beautiful T5.

Comment

* We’ve got the largest, and possibly the most luxurious, airline lounge complex in the world, large enough to cater for 2,500 passengers

Another airline who 'get's it'.

Comment

An interesting idea for moving people around LHR

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7148731.stm

Comment

Working...
                                X