Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the A380 taken off SIN-SYD route eff May2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the A380 taken off SIN-SYD route eff May2008?

I have a booking (paid for and ticketed) in R class:

SIN-SYD 11MAY SQ 221
    SYD-SIN 12MAY SQ 220

and was told by my travel agent a few moments ago that my reservation on SQ 220 had a "schedule change" from "R" to "F" class.

I check my reservation on the SQ website and my SYD-SIN SQ 220 reservation is showing as "First Class" on a 744 instead of "suites" on the A380. At the same time my reservation on SQ221 SYD-SIN still shows up as "Suites" on the A380.

Anyone know what is happening? It seems strange that the A380 is available on the SIN-SYD flight, but yet on the return portion (same day return), it is not available on any flights at all!

What is happening?

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.0/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 11 May 2008/SQ 221/SIN-SYD/380/R]
    Code:
           A    |   C   D    |   F       
     1     +                     +       
     2     +        -   -        +       
     3     -        +   +        +       
     4     +                     +       
    [+] Available   [-] Unavailable   [W] Wing   [E] Exit Row
    It seems the fare code has changed for some reason.

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.0/Platinum - Amadeus Seat Map: 12 May 2008/SQ 220/SYD-SIN/380/F]
    Code:
           A    |   C   D    |   F       
     1     +                     +       
     2     +        -   -        +       
     3     -        +   +        +       
     4     +                     +       
    [+] Available   [-] Unavailable   [W] Wing   [E] Exit Row

Comment

do not believe SQ will take the A380 out of serving SYD as its part of their Kangaroo route. More likely SQ is changing the A380 aircraft onto its other SIN-SYD-SIN flights.

Comment

My guess is that SQ will have enough (4?) planes to do A380 rotations once daily each to LHR, SYD and NRT and with these rotations, it will be possible to deploy the A380 on SQ 221/222 which are SQ's most profitable SYD flights (involving long layovers on the ground in SYD), rather than the SQ220/221 that they are doing at present - as far as I know, SQ220 is the least popular flight leaving SYD early in the morning and is currently well patronized due to a combination of seasonal demand as well as the novelty factor presented by the A380.

Comment

It is indeed strange. My confirmed reservation (ticketed) on SQ 220 on Jun 3 has also changed to 744. However, when I tried to make a dummy booking on the SQ site for Jun 3 or any other dates from May 10 onwards, SQ220 was still shown to be on A380.

Maybe there is a glitch in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Airtropolis View Post
            My guess is that SQ will have enough (4?) planes to do A380 rotations once daily each to LHR, SYD and NRT and with these rotations, it will be possible to deploy the A380 on SQ 221/222 which are SQ's most profitable SYD flights (involving long layovers on the ground in SYD), rather than the SQ220/221 that they are doing at present - as far as I know, SQ220 is the least popular flight leaving SYD early in the morning and is currently well patronized due to a combination of seasonal demand as well as the novelty factor presented by the A380.
            An interesting analysis - sounds logical.

BTW - welcome to SQTalk

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
              It is indeed strange. My confirmed reservation (ticketed) on SQ 220 on Jun 3 has also changed to 744. However, when I tried to make a dummy booking on the SQ site for Jun 3 or any other dates from May 10 onwards, SQ220 was still shown to be on A380.

Maybe there is a glitch in the system.
              This is so frustrating!!

I paid for the full "R" fare both ways!! and now get told that I'll be in F on the return portion (meaning I may have to reschedule my outbound SIN-SYD as well due if the A380 gets switched to SQ232 which arrives in SIN after my connecting flight from SIN).

Comment

If you re-read my post, the fare code seems to have changed to F/P but the seat layout still shows A380-800. Maybe a wait and see policy could be in order until maybe late January?

Comment

Working...
                X