Computers-What Are You Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had a Gateway 2000 (bought before 2000) the innards
    have been replaced 4 times over the years by a very strange computer guy who used to work for NEC. The computer guy is called BEAR and has the disposition of one too. He does house calls, and I leave the house when he comes by........I really know nothing about computers but I do need to run various translation software packages and of course the newspapers
    software too, which is proprietary. I gave up on TV about 18 months ago and now rely on a 23 inch Mitsubishi flat panel display (which allows me to watch DVD's and to view documents side by side). I am so happy Mr. Bear did not switch me to Vista!

Comment

I'd say that's a good plan! Don't get me wrong, I do love the new look and feel of Vista, but now that XP is reasonably solid product perhaps it's best to stick with the old system!

Comment

I hate dell's, I just have to say that

Comment

I like Dell's but as long as you have international NBD warranty.

I was being fair on Vista. My browser crashes at least one per internet-usage session. It's quite pathetic. Also there's a lot of disk activity which apparently is the computer backing up itself occasionally which you can switch off.

But at least you can say you have Vista and it looks shiny and new should anyone look at your computer screen.

Comment

I have vista and so far very few problems and also very few improvements. The only problem I have encountered is some programmes not running properly on it as they pre date it. But overall for me just a very basic user (internet, microsoft office, Lotus Notes) I see no benefits over XP. My version came with my laptop but I definitely would not pay to upgrade.

Comment

Singapore_Air, nickbot, there's a solution to your IE problem..........

MOZILLA FIREFOX

Comment

Does Firefox work on Vista? Also, having had no experience of it, but don't a lot of sites not work properly with it I've heard?

Comment

Firefox does work but it seems to have problems with plugins for me as it doesnt recognise them when installed.

Also Firefox isn't Microsoft so I don't want to use it! :-P

Comment

Ever since I started using Firefox, my life has been better. Especially the much fewer attacks on my browser. I also really like the remembering of windows/tabs you've had open so that when you restart you can resume/have the browser reopen them all.

A good comparison can be found here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-1.html

Enjoy!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks Huge Al, will take a look

Singapore Air, I echo your sentiments re. it being a non-microsoft product, but IE in Vista is fast approaching unworkable status in my book!

Comment

Yes, Firefox is not Microsoft and some sites don't support is a small price to pay. But less problems is a bigger prize. Choose whatever makes you happy

Comment

Just given a Dell for office and will probably get a Mac as I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                            But at least you can say you have Vista and it looks shiny and new should anyone look at your computer screen.
                            There are themes that will make XP look like Vista.
                            So i'll say i've got a shiny old XP.
                            BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                              ...don't a lot of sites not work properly with it I've heard?
                              Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              ...some sites don't support is a small price to pay. But less problems is a bigger prize.
                              If you get in a jam (which has only happened to me once) where a page will only load in IE, just make sure you've added this plug in:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35

It allows you to simply right-click and reload the page with IE.

I've refused to load IE7 on my machines as it takes up WAY too much space...and in the beginning, you had to turn off all your security settings to install.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                                Also Firefox isn't Microsoft so I don't want to use it! :-P
                                That's all the more reason to use Firefox. I converted last year and love it...its so much better than IE7.

I use the IE plugin for non-standard webpages as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X