Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood in Austria

Le Meridien Wien, #2
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Le Meridien Wien
    Opernring 13

Situated on the Ringstrasse, the Le Meridien Wien is in great proximity to all that Vienna has to offer. The Opera House, museums, restaurants, coffee houses, pubs and bars - they're all within walking distance or a short subway ride away with a subway station right outside (ish) the hotel.

The public areas of the hotel were quite funky. On arrival you step into the very minimalist lobby, and given the LM101/Art + Tech project you're greeted by sounds of water running or birds chirping as you enter. There were also exhibits of contemporary art around the lobby. I especially like the v industrial decor of the Shambala Bar. The acoustics weren't the best though, as the music was thumping but not especially atmospheric - and just seemed loud. Other than that, the bar was quite a hopping place on Friday night when I went for a few after hour tipples. Some v interesting pictures in Cafe Boulevard (more on this cafe later) and unlike most of other coffee places in Vienna other than Starbucks, this place does lattes with soy milk.

I received an upgrade to a v large Executive Suite on the 2nd floor, and they'd even set up a spare Queen sized bed as I'd booked this room for 2 initially. It is a v nice room with a lounge, an ensuite bedroom containing a bright pink bathtub (and separate showers) in the bathroom, and another smaller bathroom for guests. Free in-room wifi, so that was appreciated. The room rate also comes with a free mini bar, which contained 2 bottles of juices, 2 bottles of Coke, water and 1 bottle of beer (beer absent on first night). Not the most generous 'free minibar' in the world.

bedroom

wardrobe with mini bar and safe

living room

main bathroom

2nd bathroom

Contrary to the promises of LM101, I wasn't all that inspired by the decor of the room. The room is best described as 'generic chic' - it is v contemporary in an IKEA kind of way, and continues the minimalist theme of the lobby. However, i couldn't consider it edgy, or even designer material. It certainly didn't cause me to view the world in a 'new perspective.' It IS a very nice room, and the contemporary decor is v much appreciated; however it is frustrating when theory doesn't meet application. Stylish and modern? Yes. Forward looking and breaking new ground? No.

The service was generally pretty good, with rather young (and some rather good looking) staff. Most staff members I interacted with were v friendly and accomodating. Concierge service (Ambassador desk or whatever it's called) was more mixed. jhm, phaleesy and I asked one of the concierge staff about decent places for brunch, and got directed to a rather touristy cafe which locals probably turn their noses up at (most of the clientele there were holding maps, and the menu didn't look all that good). However I asked a different staff member the same night about nightlife on a Sunday and he not only identified the places but also launched into detailed explanations about them and how I should plan my night. Pretty much spot on too.

On balance a pretty satisfactory stay, and a rather solid property. As far as SPG goes, the LM is a great alternative to the Imperial or the Bristol if you're desiring something modern. Just don't take the LM101 design concept so seriously (like myself...) and you won't be disappointed.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Unlike KeithMEL with his high expectations , I was quite impressed with the LM Wien.

I haven't stayed in any other LM101/Art+Tech properties and have found the LMs I have stayed in (Paris Etoile, Paris Montparnasse, Beirut, Malta, Marrakech, Budapest etc) to be a bit rundown, faded and downmarket so the LM Wien was a pleasant surprise. The LM Wien is more contemporary than the only W (Union Square) I've tried!

Comment

I DID say it's a solid property.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I haven't stayed in any other LM101/Art+Tech properties and have found the LMs I have stayed in (Paris Etoile, Paris Montparnasse, Beirut, Malta, Marrakech, Budapest etc) to be a bit rundown, faded and downmarket so the LM Wien was a pleasant surprise.
        Etoile had the LM101 remodel apparently; a friend was just raving about his stay there.

I found LM Cyberport in Hong Kong more LM101ish.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Etoile had the LM101 remodel apparently; a friend was just raving about his stay there.
          Etoile is in the process of being renovated - you get the renovated rooms, the rooms before the latest renovation, the rooms before the previous renovation etc! As a PLT staying there at the end of August, I got an upgade to a room on the Club President floor which has lounge access (quite nice as it has a rooftop terrace with a view of the Eiffel Tower) but it wasn't one of the latest renovated executive rooms. I'll try again for my stay next month.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Etoile is in the process of being renovated - you get the renovated rooms, the rooms before the latest renovation, the rooms before the previous renovation etc! As a PLT staying there at the end of August, I got an upgade to a room on the Club President floor which has lounge access (quite nice as it has a rooftop terrace with a view of the Eiffel Tower) but it wasn't one of the latest renovated executive rooms. I'll try again for my stay next month.
            Ahh, sounds like LM Barcelona then.
            BTW I also agree with you on W Union Sq, i made comments largely along those lines in my TR earlier this year.

Comment

I think I stayed in the same room back in May.

I definitely think LM Vienna is one of the more impressive LM's around.

Comment

Ok... some clarification required. I liked the LM Wien indeed. And the suite itself was v nice indeed as it was v well appointed. However, all I was saying is - given the song and dance about LM101, I was underwhelmed by the decor. I'd probably have been more impressed had I not known about LM101, or took it so seriously.

Still, in all fairness the rebranding attempt is actually quite new, though an echo of the previous Art+Tech project.

edited to add: oops big gaffe on my part. It's actually LM100. Oh well, close enough.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 October 2008, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I'm disappointed, KeithMEL: no pictures of what you told me was a key differentiator for the LM Wien: the staff (bartender and concierge, zum Beispiel).

I recently got to stay in one of the renovated rooms at the (Paris) Etoile. Very nice room, IMO. I think being upgraded to an Exec Floor room also entitles you to free use of the gym across the street.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    I'm disappointed, KeithMEL: no pictures of what you told me was a key differentiator for the LM Wien: the staff (bartender and concierge, zum Beispiel).
                    I'd endeavour to do better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      I was just booking a night this coming weekend and noticed that they say that the renovation has finished but they've abolished the Club President floor and lounge! No free breakfast (which was quite good) anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X