Sheraton Subang deflagged, Imperial Kuala Lumpur downgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheraton Subang deflagged, Imperial Kuala Lumpur downgraded

Just a short note, a little inside info for all of you.

Come March 2009, Sheraton Subang Hotel & Towers will be deflagged (changing to Dorset).

At the same time, Hotel Imperial Kuala Lumpur (Luxury Collection) will be somewhat "downgraded" to a Sheraton Kuala Lumpur (deja vu).

Cheerios!

*Correction:
    Hotel Imperial Kuala Lumpur (LC) will be renamed to Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur (remaining in the LC) as of 1 January 2009... What an exercise considering there are plenty of PR collaterals in the room that currently states "Hotel Imperial Kuala Lumpur". This post was posted from the hotel Anyone staying here at the moment?
    Last edited by leo; 23 December 2008, 08:19 AM. Reason: Fact correction...

For the market it's trying to appeal to, I'd think the 'Sheraton' branding would be an upgrade for the Imperial. The 'Sheraton' brand has a more established footing outside the US. Apparently it was doing dismally when it was renamed as the lack of the 'Sheraton' tag was widely viewed as a downgrade. This is also why several LC properties, such as the Sheraton Park Tower in London, also carry the Sheraton or Westin brandings.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

This is sad news to hear; I had my wedding banquet at the Sheraton Subang more than four years ago.

I suppose I understand the underlying rationale. It is definitely true that Sheraton is a more premium brand in Asia than the USA, and this property is in need of a renovation. The ballrooms are still quite nice, especially with the separate entrance, but the guest rooms could use updating.

Comment

The Sheraton Subang, being less than 5 minutes walk from home, I am an almost frequent "eater" at their Japanese and Chinese restaurants.

It's a pity that this is happening, I'd have to travel way further to earn them starpoints now..

On a similar note, there seems to be better brand uniformity within the Starwood properties than the other major chains (Accor, IC, Hiltons). I'm a big fan of the St. Regis and Le Meridiens, but usually circumstances (usually financial LOL) prohibits me from spurring the local economy by staying at these places... That's where I settle for the Westins and Sheratons hehe

In the case of Imperial, I guess its for the better given that it is a splendid hotel in its own right (recently renovated) but I guess it's due to the location of the hotel it's not getting the volume that it deserves. Managed to snag a fantastic rate of US$62 for a LC hotel with breakfast for a 9-night stay (bed run for Plat) end of this month. The Westin, which is really central and only about 5 minutes by car from the Imperial goes for almost double.

The branding of Imperial (previously Sheraton Imperial, LC) doesn't help as you guys have mention, the Sheraton name carries a whole lot more weight this part of the world (which also explains the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit LC in BKK). Perceptions, perceptions... Says a lot doesn't it.

Cheers guys.
        Last edited by leo; 23 December 2008, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I could understand if the Imperial got 'downgraded' from a LC property. I was distinctly underwhelmed by that place when I stayed there earlier this year, and it is ridiculous to have it branded the same as the SGS in Bangkok, which is in a completely different league to it.

Comment

Hmmm. That probably why it was only 1200 SPG points plus US$30 per night for an award of cash plus points when I booked it for early next year.

However I'd like opinions as to how the hotel compares itself to say the Westin with amenities..

Comment

I stayed at Sheraton Subang on Dec. 5th and I agree that the rooms need to be revamped. The cafe is also in a bad condition. Sheraton should deflag this. However, I believe it is the owner that has decided to drop the relationships with Sheraton.

Comment

Hi there,

The Sheraton Imperial was an LC hotel...before they renovated and changed to just Hotel Imperial, an LC hotel which is confusing, since there is another hotel with the same name down the road.

What is wierd is that why the hotel can't just change the name and stay in LC? I was just wondering if there's another reason. However, I'll be staying there soon, and will compare with my previous stay when it was a LC hotel. I just love the big screen TV in the room!

Oh, and btw, long time reader in sqtalk, first time poster! yay!

Freddo

Comment

greetings Freddo!

Yeah the super huge Sony Bravia is fantastic! I'm currently on the 32nd floor in a nice room.. Understated - the way I like it

I love the little panel by the side of the working desk to plug in video / audio from various sources - there are a few sockets for S-Video, HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm stereo miniplug and RCA connectors for video and stereo audio. The multiple plug for various A/C sockets is a good thought.

This room (Executive Deluxe) is about 30m2. Checking out the breakfast later...

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                    The Sheraton Subang, being less than 5 minutes walk from home, I am an almost frequent "eater" at their Japanese and Chinese restaurants.
                    My office in "KL" is only a 10-min walk away as well but i used to stay at the Holiday Villa instead and eat at the Italian. Now because the Sheraton and Holiday Villa have not improved much through the years i stay in Mutiara Damansara and prepare for the drive to the office instead.

However one more Malaysia "downgrade" is the Sofitel Palm Resort in JB becoming a Mercure in the next month or two, staying within Accor.

This seems to be the trend, opting out of a redecoration.

Comment

Well both the Sheraton and Holiday Villa in Subang have changed hands at least once in the last 5 years and perhaps the new owner's priorities are slightly different.

Having a major upgrade / refurbishment right after spending a couple of gazillion bucks to purchase the property wasn't exactly the thing that was running through their minds I guess.

The Sheraton in Subang has a long history - starting with the Merlin, and then the ITT Sheraton and when Starwood took over...

The Holiday Villa as well, was built by the money of a taxi driver who made it rich with quarry operations (as well as a host of "other" activities which shall remain unmentioned).

As with the Sofitel JB, stayed there end last year it was a real nightmare. From the quality of rooms to food and service (or the lack of it).

Comment

Working...
                      X