X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews of Starwood hotels - Dubai

INDEX

Sheraton Dubai Creek - post #2
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 January 2008, 03:33 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Sheraton Dubai Creek
    Baniyas St, Dubai

I don't know how I can ever go back to being SPG Gold after the amazing treatment for Plats at this property.

I approached a Sheraton Dubai Creek staffer upon arrival at DXB, meaning to enquire the best method of getting to the hotel. He immediately identified me and mentioned that they knew I was arriving at this time and that my complimentary limo transfer to the hotel was waiting. And it was on a Porsche Cayeene!!!

Upon arrival I was whisked to the Executive lounge for check-in. The lounge had a single terminal for complimentary internet access, but everyone's limited to a max of 30 mins on it. It was a rather small and plain lounge. Happy hour was from 1800 to 2030 daily and offered a selection of beers and wines. Continental brekkies was served every morning till 1030, and alas they truly mean 'continental' unlike the Asian hotels which usually throw in some hot options. I did enjoy the smoked salmon which came with lots of salmon roe though.

The check in staff noted that I'd be upgraded to an Executive suite however none were available as yet as the hotel was experiencing 100% occupancy. I waited in the lounge for about 45 minutes before a suite became available on the first floor.

And a very nice suite it was. The decor is SO last century, but the suite was spacious, clean and well-maintained. Bathrooms were well-stocked with James Gant amenities. The main bathroom had a combined shower/bath and a boudoir, whilst the living room had its own toilet. Unfortunately it overlooked the road so I didn't have a Creek view.

Hallway

Plasma TVs in both living room and bedroom

Another toilet for the living room

The hotel was located in a rather old neighbourhood of Dubai - not much to do here, just souks and some eateries. Very nice local food 2 streets down though. Festival City (where the new W will be located) was 10 minutes away by taxi - some great shopping here. It's about 20 minutes by taxi or so to the REAL Dubai (or what I went to Dubai for anyway) - the glitz and glamour of the Mall of the Emirates (amazing shopping again), Madinet Jumeirah (some nightlife here, and a Caviar House outlet), Jumeirah Beach, the Buj Dubai etc.

You can't go wrong with this property even though it's a bit of a schlep to the more exciting bits of Dubai since taxi fares are so cheap. Then again things in Dubai are pretty spaced out anyway. Hopefully either of the Ws will be ready when I return though.

UPDATE:
    Checked out this morning at the Executive lounge. Very efficient and courteous agent. Got a farewell gift - bag tags with my name on it, with a thank you note from the manager. Again a porsche cayeene transfer back to the airport. Will post more pics of the property later.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 January 2008, 02:07 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Just to mention that not all SPG properties in Dubai (such as the LM Dubai which is only a few minutes drive to the airport and who provide free minibus transfers) participate fully in SPG, i.e. no status stay credits nor SPG points (but they may recognise your SPG gold or plat status for upgrades).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Just to mention that not all SPG properties in Dubai (such as the LM Dubai which is only a few minutes drive to the airport and who provide free minibus transfers) participate fully in SPG, i.e. no status stay credits nor SPG points (but they may recognise your SPG gold or plat status for upgrades).
        Wow, that's good to know. It would be awful to pay $400 - $500 a night and now get points or stay credit. Kind of like people who stay 31 days at a Starwood and don't get any points! That's gotta hurt when they find out.

Comment

I bleeve that many of the LMs in Dubai are not on the programme. When I was based in the region, Four Points in Bur Dubai, Sheraton Deira and Sheraton Dubai Creek were definitely in the programme. And I think Sheraton Jumeirah as well.

Comment

Working...
          X