Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryokan recommendations

Originally posted by QSG View Post
    65,000 Yen is what the average person gets on their government pension per month. I have stayed at ryokan that were that much pp/pn but that included 2 meals/room/hotspring...........
    QSG, any suggestions / ryokan you liked the best? Thanks.
    HUGE AL

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    QSG, any suggestions / ryokan you liked the best? Thanks.
    Are you interested in bathing/dining/scenery? I am for the most part familiar only with Ryokan/Hot Springs in the Kyushu area of Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
      Are you interested in bathing/dining/scenery? I am for the most part familiar only with Ryokan/Hot Springs in the Kyushu area of Japan.
      I'd say dining, bathing and scenery in that order.

Thanks.
      HUGE AL

Comment

The nicest ryokan we stayed in on our trip was Iwaso on Miyajima island. About JPY 50,000 for a room (using the public bath; next to a stream outside), kaiseki dinner in your room and breakfast elsewhere for two.

I know there are some ryokan a lot more expensive (and nicer ?) in Kyoto but I needed the SPG stays.

However, what was better (vegetarian food, view and general ambience) and cheaper was the temple we stayed in in Koyasan - JPY 24,000 for two including dinner and breakfast. Getting there was an adventure in itself involving a train and then a cable car up the mountain. I'll post some pictures in a separate thread. Unlike Miyajima (a bit overrated IMHO), Koyasan is definitely one of those places I'd like to go back again and spend 1 or 2 nights. From Wikipedia:

Mount Kōya (高野山, Kōya-san?) is a mountain in Wakayama prefecture to the south of Osaka. First settled in 819 by the monk Kūkai, Mt. Koya is primarily known as the headquarters of the Shingon sect of Japanese Buddhism. Located in an 800m-high valley amid the eight peaks of the mountain, the original monastery has grown into the town of Koya, featuring a university dedicated to religious studies and over 100 temples, many of which offer lodging to pilgrims.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          The nicest ryokan we stayed in on our trip was Iwaso on Miyajima island. About JPY 50,000 for a room (using the public bath; next to a stream outside), kaiseki dinner in your room and breakfast elsewhere for two.

I know there are some ryokan a lot more expensive (and nicer ?) in Kyoto but I needed the SPG stays.

However, what was better (vegetarian food, view and general ambience) and cheaper was the temple we stayed in in Koyasan - JPY 24,000 for two including dinner and breakfast. Getting there was an adventure in itself involving a train and then a cable car up the mountain. I'll post some pictures in a separate thread. Unlike Miyajima (a bit overrated IMHO), Koyasan is definitely one of those places I'd like to go back again and spend 1 or 2 nights. From Wikipedia:
          Oh, I would absolutely agree with that Ryokan can/are viewed to be very overrated. I am also jaded as I have been here so long.........Although I do somewhat enjoy Kaiseki ryouri I am just as comfortable going for day trip and just using the bath and having a nice lunch/snacks along the way....... (simple pleasures)!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            I'd say dining, bathing and scenery in that order.

Thanks.
            Here are a few :

http://www.hanzuiryo.jp/hp_english/top/top.html

http://www.yamamizuki.com/

Comment

QSG, many thanks!!
              HUGE AL

Comment

Hahahaha Did I (unintentionally) go enough OT to start another thread AGAIN? That was fast!
                HUGE AL

Comment

There's an excellent Ryokan in Odawara (小田原). It's near Hakone, if you get off at Kinokudani Station, it's about 100 meters far, superb scenery.

Comment

Working...
                  X